Author Topic: Soya in bread...  (Read 1422 times)

Soya in bread...
« on: 10 January, 2011, 12:48:46 pm »
We often buy... Tesco organic bread.

Tesco Organic Thick Sliced White Bread (800g) in Tesco | mySupermarket

It says made from Wheat flour, but in the ingredients it also contains Soya (presumably a significantly lower amount).
Soya & Soya Flour

Does anyone know why Soya is included?  I have to say I try and avoid Soya where possible.

Andy
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
Re: Soya in bread...
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2011, 01:44:03 pm »
No idea, but if I had to guess, I would say that it is included for profit margin purposes.

Why do you tend to avoid soya, if you don't mind me asking?
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2011, 01:51:01 pm »
Up to 2% can (and generally is) used in mass-produced breads (Chorleywood process).

"CARRIER or FILLER: to hold ingredients together and keep the mix flowing   Also a BLEACHING AGENT and a mild OXIDIZING AGENT, not easily demonstrated, but thought to act as an adjunct which will encourage the ascorbic acid to function"

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2011, 02:40:47 pm »
No idea, but if I had to guess, I would say that it is included for profit margin purposes.

Probably a futile gesture on my part, but... Deforestation in Brazil - Soybean_production Wiki

But I intend to send Tesco and email asking where 'they' source their soya from.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2011, 03:36:34 pm »

Probably a futile gesture on my part, but... Deforestation in Brazil - Soybean_production Wiki

But I intend to send Tesco and email asking where 'they' source their soya from.

Cool, thanks.

I don't think it's futile. If everybody made a few small gestures like that, it starts to add up to a big thing.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #5 on: 11 January, 2011, 05:32:12 pm »
I think you'll find that most soybean production is for livestock feed, particularly beef.