Author Topic: Tour de France 2018  (Read 133893 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Tour de France 2018
« Reply #275 on: 12 July, 2018, 10:08:04 am »
I bet those of you who don't like Pandemonium Productions also don't get Mornington Crescent. Well, each to there own, and while PP MAY contain a modicum of gibberish, it's easy to avoid if you don't like that sort of thing.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #276 on: 12 July, 2018, 10:27:31 am »
Teh 'highlights'. On ITV4. Now...

Or +1 @ 23:00 BST. Anyone with a recorder device for anbaric distascope has Shirley set a 'Record wiv Series Link'? For sure, yes.

TV's G Imlach, who is excellent, has made a point of telling us for the last couple of days that tonight's highlights would be later because foopball.  The message didn't filter down to ITV4's Deputy Assistant Acting Vice-Spod i/c Button-Pressing though, because even with series link my box recorded "Pawn Stars" anyway.  Fortunately I noticed it doing so, because even if you've watched the live coverage the highlights often has TV's Nice C Boardman, who is excellent, Explaining Complicated Stuffs for members of the swinish multitude liek me.  Or (sadly infrequently) TV's Evil C Boardman tormenting G Boardman 4 teh lulz.  Sketchy!

Torslanda informed me at EXACTLY the right moment for me switch on and catch the last 1.5km  :thumbsup:

[At which point, our Digibox was claiming to be showing Falling Down - the much underrated Michael Douglas movie. As I did not have time to watch this film, I am glad that they showed a (brief) Peter Sagan film instead.

Unlike Mr L's, ours chose not to tape record Pawn Stars for us. Which was nice.]

So I saw some racing, missed some Excellent Chris Boardman, and got an early night. 7/10 I'd say :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #277 on: 12 July, 2018, 10:31:56 am »
I bet those of you who don't like Pandemonium Productions also don't get Mornington Crescent. Well, each to there own, and while PP MAY contain a modicum of gibberish, it's easy to avoid if you don't like that sort of thing.

What is there to get?
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #278 on: 12 July, 2018, 10:54:36 am »
Lost?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #279 on: 12 July, 2018, 10:59:44 am »

What is there to get?

in Nidd if you're not careful.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #280 on: 12 July, 2018, 11:03:58 am »
Sod that. It's the best reportage we have.
No it's not. It's gibberish garbage. :hand:

No, it's bloody brilliant. And you have the option not to read it. For me, it's pretty much the only reason I'm back on YACF after a year or so away. Mr L sums up both the excellence and the ridiculousness of the TdF perfectly, and parodies the pomposity of the event without disrespecting it.

« Reply #281 on: 12 July, 2018, 11:07:53 am »
I'm surprised that Peter Sagan is still climbing so well. He seems to have put on more muscle mass to me. I got to musing about this last night, while watching the highlights. Heather immediately told me to stop breaking the spell, as she does like to believe.

I'm most upset by the advert where a 1960s Toyota FJ is driven through seawater, but the Alpecin caffeine shampoo ad usually cheers me up.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #282 on: 12 July, 2018, 11:12:40 am »

No, it's bloody brilliant. And you have the option not to read it. For me, it's pretty much the only reason I'm back on YACF after a year or so away. Mr L sums up both the excellence and the ridiculousness of the TdF perfectly, and parodies the pomposity of the event without disrespecting it.

"Wha . . .!!? Whatddyamean you've been away for a year or so young Timothy? Shows how observant I am. May I be the first to welcome you back then! Or . . . perhaps I'm not?"
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #283 on: 12 July, 2018, 02:03:47 pm »
TdF approaching Roc'h Trevezel and my bandwidth has gone to hell. :(

TimC

« Reply #284 on: 12 July, 2018, 05:05:30 pm »

"Wha . . .!!? Whatddyamean you've been away for a year or so young Timothy? Shows how observant I am. May I be the first to welcome you back then! Or . . . perhaps I'm not?"

Thanks, Riggers!

« Reply #285 on: 12 July, 2018, 08:31:14 pm »
Keep up the good work Mr l . your summary's are most entertaining .   :)
the slower you go the more you see

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #286 on: 12 July, 2018, 08:46:21 pm »
Just in case anyone might be suffering withdrawal symptoms at the non-appearance of P@nd3m1c Pr0duckt10nzTM®'s daily summary I should like to point out that Chairman & CEO Mr. D. Larrington, MC, BSO & Bar. Maire of Mortagne-au-Perche and  Emperor of Ice Cream. Keeper of the Imperial Bear is otherwise engaged in UCIllegal activities for the weekend (extended), involving funny lie-down type bicycles and other stuffs which, in the right hands (really?), go shitloads faster than the baked soot currently being propelled around France by the Pelican.

I'm not even going to attempt anything in a similar styleeee. No. No I'm not.

Normal service should be resumed next week. Ish.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #287 on: 12 July, 2018, 08:48:25 pm »
Oh noes!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #288 on: 12 July, 2018, 08:53:20 pm »
To be honest, lurking on YACF is a bit like being invited to join a group of friendly old men in a pub somewhere; everyone is perfectly amiable and willing to listen to your thoughts on the football/cycling/weather but they've obviously known one another for years and some of the chat goes completely over your head especially when it involves absent friends (referred to by nickname) or running jokes about long-ago foolish behaviour or unfortunate incidents.

A bit like riding Audax, really...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #289 on: 12 July, 2018, 08:57:42 pm »
The difference being that you only have to ask.

There's nothing a total knob like me likes to do more than let someone in on the secret. This isn't the Freemasons . . .
VELOMANCER

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #290 on: 12 July, 2018, 08:59:54 pm »
Couldn't help noticing today the prominence of a certain Jack Bauer in the pelican.

I wonder if this will only be for 24 hours . . . ?
VELOMANCER

« Reply #291 on: 12 July, 2018, 09:27:38 pm »
Yeah, be the Pelican Brief.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #292 on: 12 July, 2018, 10:21:28 pm »
Just in case anyone might be suffering withdrawal symptoms at the non-appearance of P@nd3m1c Pr0duckt10nzTM®'s daily summary I should like to point out that Chairman & CEO Mr. D. Larrington, MC, BSO & Bar. Maire of Mortagne-au-Perche and  Emperor of Ice Cream. Keeper of the Imperial Bear is otherwise engaged in UCIllegal activities for the weekend (extended), involving funny lie-down type bicycles and other stuffs which, in the right hands (really?), go shitloads faster than the baked soot currently being propelled around France by the Pelican.

The real question is will Mr le Maire be providing a commentary on the events at Betteshanger?  Which I reckon, if I brush up on my perl, I might be in with a chance of understanding...

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #293 on: 12 July, 2018, 10:31:33 pm »
I'd pay to read that! Good call . . .
VELOMANCER

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #294 on: 12 July, 2018, 10:35:23 pm »

I'm not even going to attempt anything in a similar styleeee. No. No I'm not.

Normal service should be resumed next week. Ish.

Wot!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #295 on: 13 July, 2018, 08:30:04 am »
@Pingu in passing: yesterday afternoon I reached for my fly-murderer at the sight of a horrible bug crawling along the top of my screen.  Closer inspection showed it to be your penguin's bum, the rest of him being cut off by the frame.

« Reply #296 on: 13 July, 2018, 10:31:15 am »
There's nothing a total knob like me likes to do more than let someone in on the secret. This isn't the Freemasons . . .
Sorry, that wasn't intended as a complaint exactly, more an attempt at humour....
I like Mr Larrington's contributions, even if I probably don't get all the references. I think trying to explain them would be more hassle than it is worth.

« Reply #297 on: 13 July, 2018, 11:15:06 am »
The ITV highlights show is pretty boring, it's just filled with guys racing each other on bikes - they've edited out all the helicopter shots of the countryside. There was nothing in yesterday's that I recognised from PBP - did I miss anything?
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #298 on: 13 July, 2018, 11:16:46 am »
Good thing the Tour's on for another fortnight, the quack's just told me that's how long I should wait before trying the bike again. Problem now will be staying awake.

TimC

« Reply #299 on: 13 July, 2018, 11:17:12 am »
Sorry, that wasn't intended as a complaint exactly, more an attempt at humour....
I like Mr Larrington's contributions, even if I probably don't get all the references. I think trying to explain them would be more hassle than it is worth.

Bethany [8] will no doubt oblige if you wish; she is the only character in PP to actually know wtf is happening!