Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 420087 times)

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #1200 on: 19 June, 2013, 10:42:19 pm »
First tt of the year. Preparation consisted of three 25s (all DNS) and a ride round Richmond Park on Tuesday. Surprised myself with a 25.31, which was good enough for 8th 9th out of 32 entries. Fastest was 23.03; not a fast course, but not a bad evening.
Now for a 50 on Sunday.

simonp

« Reply #1201 on: 19 June, 2013, 11:45:01 pm »
I forgot to add that I have new Continental Grand Prix TT tyres on. Wonder how many of the 54 seconds improvement was down to them?

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #1202 on: 21 June, 2013, 10:57:47 pm »
I'm still coming to terms with the whole veteran thing so please don't bring it up too often  :).   So my time for 100 is the standard for a 51 yr old.   The same rider is expected to do 198 miles in a 12.   I'm pretty sure I can do a bit more than 200 miles but not sure how much.

The interesting thing today is that I went through the 50 mile check in approx 2hrs 29m so my pace was very steady.   That said I definitely can't hold that speed for 12hrs.   

My standard for a 12 is 212 miles which looks like a decent goal.   Looks in line with drossall's advice  :thumbsup:

Rob

Great ride Rob, you will go well in the 12hr, miles in the legs are more beneficial than speed for those distances.

My time was 5hrs 00mins 24secs on 86" fixed  I spent 5mins off the bike a/ stopping rear brake rubbing b/ swapping drinks bottles c/ stretching my aching back.

That was my first ride over 67 miles this year so I was pleased really :D just a bit gutted about those 24seconds :(
"Don't stop pedalling"

Fixedwheelnut

• My photos
« Reply #1203 on: 21 June, 2013, 11:12:22 pm »
 A couple of Personal Bests this month on sweet FA training so I am pleased really  :)

04/06/13 Q10/24  10mls/23:57      mild breezy         Raleigh Team Professional 97" fixed
16/06/13 Q100     100mls 05:00:24 mild fairly windy  Raleigh Team Professional 86" fixed

Previous rides https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=229.msg1225254#msg1225254
"Don't stop pedalling"

rob

« Reply #1204 on: 22 June, 2013, 11:52:20 am »
I'm still coming to terms with the whole veteran thing so please don't bring it up too often  :).   So my time for 100 is the standard for a 51 yr old.   The same rider is expected to do 198 miles in a 12.   I'm pretty sure I can do a bit more than 200 miles but not sure how much.

The interesting thing today is that I went through the 50 mile check in approx 2hrs 29m so my pace was very steady.   That said I definitely can't hold that speed for 12hrs.   

My standard for a 12 is 212 miles which looks like a decent goal.   Looks in line with drossall's advice  :thumbsup:

Rob

Great ride Rob, you will go well in the 12hr, miles in the legs are more beneficial than speed for those distances.

My time was 5hrs 00mins 24secs on 86" fixed  I spent 5mins off the bike a/ stopping rear brake rubbing b/ swapping drinks bottles c/ stretching my aching back.

That was my first ride over 67 miles this year so I was pleased really :D just a bit gutted about those 24seconds :(

Thanks.   I didn't stop at all so you were travelling faster than me so it was a good ride for you as well.   Carried 2 large bottles and had food in a tri bag.   I used 79" which was about right.

I've written a schedule for the 12 and the only change I'll make is to bring the tri-bars back as my lower back hurt a lot after the ride.   I have a helper for the 12 as well.

Rob

Fixedwheelnut

• My photos
« Reply #1205 on: 22 June, 2013, 07:02:46 pm »
 I only had one bottle cage so cable tied a second full one to the top tube, did have a tri bag with gels and such in it but the drinks were both carbs, dropped the tri bag and empty drink bottle at Ray's spot in Rye and put the full one from the top tube in my bottle cage, second time I came round I swapped my bottle for the other he had refilled, so I got round on 2.5 carb drinks and a mars bar :)
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #1206 on: 22 June, 2013, 07:09:42 pm »
I forgot to add that I have new Continental Grand Prix TT tyres on. Wonder how many of the 54 seconds improvement was down to them?

None. The rule is: if you go slower your equipment is to blame; if you go faster, it's entirely down to you.

« Reply #1207 on: 22 June, 2013, 07:38:52 pm »

None. The rule is: if you go slower your equipment is to blame; if you go faster, it's entirely down to you.
And on a tandem, fast is down to me, and slow is the other fella?

« Reply #1208 on: 22 June, 2013, 09:46:19 pm »

And on a tandem, fast is down to me, and slow is the other fella?

Yup, and it works the same way for Mr S. I can't remember whether Einstein's special theory or quantum physics explain it best.

« Reply #1209 on: 23 June, 2013, 11:19:24 am »
23/06/13 B50/17 2:32:11 Jane Swain up front on Jack Taylor Tandem Trike. Lots of wind, head & tail.

Got into the pain cave at the start (thanks for that description, Lady C) & never left it. Please let me remember this so jes doesn't manage to persuade me again.

« Reply #1210 on: 23 June, 2013, 02:22:51 pm »
Blown backwards, sideways, all ways today. It was a hard way to earn a personal worst.

Chris S

« Reply #1211 on: 23 June, 2013, 02:29:39 pm »
23/06/13 B50/17 2:32:11 Jane Swain up front on Jack Taylor Tandem Trike. Lots of wind, head & tail.

Got into the pain cave at the start (thanks for that description, Lady C) & never left it. Please let me remember this so jes doesn't manage to persuade me again.

:thumbsup:

First roundabout, tailwind, downhill - at least 40mph - one handed Jes, really?  :o

50tta by Pelotonhound, on Flickr

Far end turn, the prospect of 13 miles of 20mph againsterly doesn't show - concentrating too much on staying stuck to the road...

50ttb by Pelotonhound, on Flickr

One mile to go - straight into the wind. Race faces on  :D

50ttc by Pelotonhound, on Flickr

Well done you two - there were plenty of "old hands" at the finish muttering stuff like "hardest 50 I've done" and "I want my mummy".

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1212 on: 23 June, 2013, 03:50:33 pm »
The wind was also pretty bad on the ECCA 100, I suspect that many mummies were cried for. I came home in 4:28:17, a crushing 20 seconds in front of Frank.

Can I sleep now please?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1213 on: 24 June, 2013, 05:53:07 pm »
The last 2 miles were so far into the paincave it wasn't funny, but I did make it a metre or 2 past the finish before throwing up all over myself. I prefer to at least finish before I do that. I keep looking at these and thinking I could go obv go faster in the first couple of miles, but on that surface I'm not sure I can.

Still really happy.

::-)

And people call audaxers "mad"! The only time I rode a TT, I was sick in the hedge. Clearly it's a theme.

I think there's an echo in here:

Managed a 3 sec course PB tonight even though it was windy- really pleased with that. Threw up at mile 5 and 7- had a headwind at the time so got loads of horrid splashback lol. I'm so classy.

Jeez. Therein lie the reasons I don't do TTs. I tried one and barfed my tea in the hedge, much to the amusement of those at the finish line. No thanks  :hand:.

My nephew is a Cat III and used to do TTs. His coach reckoned if he hadn't parked his lunch somewhere, he wasn't trying hard enough.

ETA: I may have already mentioned this on this thread. This is the problem with (a) getting old and (3) having such long threads.
(last para made me laugh, in this context!)

EDIT: only found this as I was a following the link to some bad news from that month.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Chris S

« Reply #1214 on: 24 June, 2013, 06:02:29 pm »
(snipped - assorted embarrassing memory lapses)

You, young man, have way too much time on your hands.

:P

« Reply #1215 on: 25 June, 2013, 11:01:19 pm »
Beat my PB by 11 seconds tonight on my Clubs Evening 10 course, UC108A  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1216 on: 25 June, 2013, 11:06:57 pm »
Last week I did a PB of 25.07 on the club 10.  :smug:

I commented on the club's forum that I'd have managed a 'long 24' if I'd worn a pointy hat and pumped the tyres up.

To prove the point, tonight, I doned said pointy hat, put a bit more puff in the tyres and did the 10 miles's in under 25 minutes for the first time (24.55).  :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Fixedwheelnut

• My photos
« Reply #1217 on: 29 June, 2013, 10:48:08 pm »
^^ well done John  ;D
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #1218 on: 30 June, 2013, 11:49:07 am »
I can now add a new  skill to my repertoire: getting lost on a 25.
Missed the top turn on the Chippenham 25 and slogged on for a while wondering if that was it. Eventually a lack of returning riders persuaded me to turn back, so hopped over the barriers, rode back and up the slip road to tell the marshal, then completed the course rather behind schedule. 1:12:??.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1219 on: 30 June, 2013, 12:52:16 pm »
I can beat that Ian, I once got lost on a 10. 

Talking of getting lost, I've been looking at Oranj's map of the Mersey Roads course.  I'm having trouble distinguishing the colours in the key, so just to check, is this the route?

Out to Prees
Prees ckt x2
Quina Brook ckt x6
Prees ckt x4
Quina Brook ckt x6
Back to finishing ckt
Finishing ckt until time runs out.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1220 on: 30 June, 2013, 12:58:37 pm »
Yup, that looks spot-on.

(you do know there are at least 2 threads for that event, and the route was discussed at length in last year's thread?!?!?!?!?! Including Oranj's map. And my scans of the official map  ... <ad nauseum> ... )

I was 3rd time lucky on navigation round our club's preferred circuit (there are about 12 roundabouts)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1221 on: 30 June, 2013, 01:00:56 pm »
You can lecture me on posting etiquette if you agree to support me at the Mersey  :P

« Reply #1222 on: 30 June, 2013, 01:35:39 pm »
Number of laps of any of the circuits varies according to your speed and start position. There may also be short circuits (shocking!).

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1223 on: 30 June, 2013, 01:57:35 pm »
Well, you could save a sh1t-load of time by reading the 2012 thread ... but it's upto you ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #1224 on: 06 July, 2013, 12:26:26 pm »
Just rode up to Cricklade to have a quick recce of the local club 10 course before I consider doing my first "official" TT, to make sure I won't completely embarrass myself.

Then I saw some of the times in this thread.

I'm going to need some tri bars. And a pointy hat. Oh, and some deep carbon wheels. Screw it, a new bike. And some EPO too.   :'(