Author Topic: The Dean  (Read 103227 times)

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Re: The Dean
« Reply #575 on: 08 March, 2024, 01:13:21 pm »
I see what you mean!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #576 on: 08 March, 2024, 01:44:13 pm »
Looking like a wet afternoon tomorrow, showers forecast all over the return route from 13:00 onwards.

"Brisk easterly winds" too, says the BBC.  How nice.
that's fine, since I'm developing a penchant for getting the train back to the start, at least I get the tailwind leg first.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #577 on: 08 March, 2024, 02:13:49 pm »
Looking like a wet afternoon tomorrow, showers forecast all over the return route from 13:00 onwards.

"Brisk easterly winds" too, says the BBC.  How nice.
that's fine, since I'm developing a penchant for getting the train back to the start, at least I get the tailwind leg first.

I might just do it in the car....

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #578 on: 09 March, 2024, 07:04:43 pm »
Meh -an early/rare  DNF for me (by Stow), with recovery via PRS (Partner Recovery Service).

Steering went / felt really wierd and unsafe..

Rummage...

So (ringed) ball had split in half,, loading & causing premature wear on the two each side, which ended up rubbing metal on metal.  Bah..
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #579 on: 09 March, 2024, 07:27:54 pm »
Been a harsh winter for headsets. I replaced my headset bearings last month.

« Reply #580 on: 10 March, 2024, 11:46:35 am »
Meh -an early/rare  DNF for me (by Stow), with recovery via PRS (Partner Recovery Service).

Bad luck on the DNF iddu.
Hope the 'comeback' is still on track henceforth.
Garry Broad

« Reply #581 on: 10 March, 2024, 04:47:51 pm »

Steering went / felt really wierd and unsafe..

Bah..

I kept wondering why you were the only rider not to overhaul me!

That felt like a tough ride although my Strave figures say otherwise. However, I did not appreciate my Garmin at 305km having a hissy fit at the A40 junction and telling me I was off Course (sending me round in circles for 10 minutes), then having a visitation as I went around in circles and then trying to fix it as I started getting the shakes (cold and very wet by then).

Note to self - riding a 300 the day after long haul travel isn't terribly wise.

My highpoint was the incredible kindness of the staff at Malmsbury Waitrose. The cafe had just closed when I got there but they still found me a hot coffee and a place to sit down.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #582 on: 10 March, 2024, 04:58:20 pm »
still x rated, so no reason to be constrained on numbers,

Well that depends on how much event admin the organiser wants after the event.  It’s not press a button and done job. Every extra rider adds time, not so much at the start, but certainly during post event validation, and posting cards back.
Each one also adds ££££££s. Presumably a very good hourly rate to process the extras.

Odd.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #583 on: 11 March, 2024, 10:03:18 am »
Well that was my slowest ever completion of the Dean, even slower than the time I had only just recovered from Covid. Conditions felt relatively kind on the way out, but heading back east was tougher than usual.

Interrogation of my strava trace shows pretty much all of the eastbound segments from Chepstow To Membury were my slowest ever. Met up with 3 riders at the services and had a nice social ride to the finish.

Never felt in danger of DNF or out of time

Eddington  127miles, 170km