Author Topic: I carried this on my bicycle  (Read 215028 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: I carried this on my bicycle
« Reply #700 on: 23 April, 2020, 01:10:53 am »
Today I carried 200l of compost on my carry freedom, the individual sacks didn't seem to weight that much, but once there was 4 of them it felt a tad bit heavy.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #701 on: 25 April, 2020, 10:08:53 am »
IMG_20200322_144551924 by Joe B, on Flickr

A trip out to to Richer Sounds for a new TV; taken just before the lock-down.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #702 on: 28 April, 2020, 04:05:52 pm »
Taken ages ago and just uploaded it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #703 on: 28 April, 2020, 04:49:45 pm »
Impressive, but what is it? At first glance I took it for a wok but then I noticed the cylindrical bits.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #704 on: 28 April, 2020, 05:04:42 pm »
Weber BBQ

Was either post here or on the found this on my ride.

« Reply #705 on: 13 May, 2020, 10:26:54 pm »
Lawnmower, strimmer and rake, plus fuel for both tools.

Made handling a bit interesting even with the long wheelbase of the bike because of all the weight off the back of the trailer wheels, I think i probably need the longer hitch and a board over the front to spread the weight a bit.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #706 on: 14 May, 2020, 10:06:12 am »
Bet you don't get close passes with that lot!

« Reply #707 on: 14 May, 2020, 10:30:08 am »
Parked it in the middle of a parking space* when we picked up a Chinese on the way home as well, which ruffled some feathers but meh.

Am tempted to get the super long hitch and tow the open canoe behind the tandem for a laugh, would make us longer than most estate cars.

* may have been the parking space right outside the takeaway.

« Reply #708 on: 14 May, 2020, 10:39:21 am »
Dave if you do please send me pictures. I've often considered making a trailer for my canoe but its going to be around 24 foot long

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #709 on: 14 May, 2020, 11:58:29 am »
Bet you don't get close passes with that lot!
Quite likely to get cut up though!
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #710 on: 14 May, 2020, 02:28:13 pm »
Dave if you do please send me pictures. I've often considered making a trailer for my canoe but its going to be around 24 foot long

I was thinking about getting this

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/trailers/carry-freedom-looong-arm-20/

for the y Frame trailer and then ratchet strapping the boat in the middle and to the arm, it'll overhang but that'll be ok. I suspect it'll be a tandem tow or lightly loaded ebike, hills might be out but I'm up for a go.

« Reply #711 on: 14 May, 2020, 03:16:27 pm »
Dave. Your probably going to get me into even more trouble then usual with the wife. Weight limit needs checking as is a 16 foot open

« Reply #712 on: 14 May, 2020, 03:30:01 pm »
I think the weight limit on those carry freedoms has been massively underestimated, I have certainly exceeded it a number of times.  Good brakes for the downhills though or careful route selection would be a must.

The tandem has v brakes and a drum brake so probably just about capable of keeping it under control on a descent.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #713 on: 14 May, 2020, 03:54:33 pm »
Work of National Importance:

BEER from the local microbrewery.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #714 on: 14 May, 2020, 06:07:53 pm »
I think the weight limit on those carry freedoms has been massively underestimated, I have certainly exceeded it a number of times.

My Y-frame large has a sticker warning not to exceed 45kg.  I think they put the wrong sticker on it by mistake (I bought it 'shop soiled' at a discount), as the specifications say 90kg for large.

I don't think I've actually exceeded that, but the limiting factor if there are any hills at all is braking.  Nose weight is important - you don't want to be lifting the rear wheel.  I find the electric-assist ICE trike makes an awesome tow vehicle, for the reasons outlined by Brucey here, as well as the obvious uphill advantages over a two-wheeler.  (It's also almost exactly the same track width, which means you can see where your wheels are.)

« Reply #715 on: 15 May, 2020, 12:36:16 pm »
Alas the trailer is extra... Did think was rather cheap so not for me unless I crack the welder out

« Reply #716 on: 15 May, 2020, 01:55:51 pm »
If you are towing a 16' canoe, you need it to be fairly high outerwise it will be hitting the ground over speed bumps, gradient changes.

I made a trailer from a section of scrap tower scaffold by making up an 'axle' (1" box section with a M12 bolt welded in each end, plus mounting plates) and used exhaust 'U' clips to bolt it to the 2" alloy scaffold tower frame - the advantage is you can move the axle backwards for longer loads.

I've used it for my 8' pedalboat.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #717 on: 18 May, 2020, 04:30:13 am »
I think the weight limit on those carry freedoms has been massively underestimated, I have certainly exceeded it a number of times.

My Y-frame large has a sticker warning not to exceed 45kg.  I think they put the wrong sticker on it by mistake (I bought it 'shop soiled' at a discount), as the specifications say 90kg for large.

I don't think I've actually exceeded that, but the limiting factor if there are any hills at all is braking.  Nose weight is important - you don't want to be lifting the rear wheel.  I find the electric-assist ICE trike makes an awesome tow vehicle, for the reasons outlined by Brucey here, as well as the obvious uphill advantages over a two-wheeler.  (It's also almost exactly the same track width, which means you can see where your wheels are.)

I had a chat with Nick at CF ageeees ago. The trailers are rated to 95kg as anything above that needs to be supplied with its own brakes by legislation. The 45kg limit is if you're using quick release skewers on the bike. For the full weight rating you should use solid axles. The hitches are tested to 150kg. I've definitely carried over that for a few hours when I had a couple of large blokes dressed as romans centurions on mine which was decked out like a chariot for promo work.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #718 on: 28 June, 2020, 09:40:23 am »
I carried a ladder stand-off bracket into work with me the other day on account of loaning it to a colleague.  Makes an excellent close past repellent. 

IMG_20200621_071754079[1] by Joe B, on Flickr

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #719 on: 28 June, 2020, 10:17:51 am »
Yebbut it's dead flat and... Arellcat is hereby declared teh Hoyness!  :thumbsup:

Starting to feel the limits of that, tbh.  This time it was a planned collection, though, so I was fully prepared.  In the trailer were three chunks of wood each as big as the one in the front basket, plus four bits of branches – basically as much as I could stuff in.  The total load was 70kg.  My local railway path is slightly uphill coming home, but the route then diverts past a farm with some speedbumps to add technicality, and then swings up and over the railway cutting.  I may have had to honk the bike a couple of times.

Lumber support
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #720 on: 02 July, 2020, 04:30:12 pm »

two sheets of plywood, a 3.3m length of wood, some bamboo, and a tin of varnish, on a Brompton...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #721 on: 14 August, 2020, 06:58:34 pm »
Not mine. But, y'know, 50% of my genes.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #722 on: 14 August, 2020, 09:13:13 pm »
Did it get there by itself?   :D

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #723 on: 14 August, 2020, 10:19:46 pm »
Sparrowhawk?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #724 on: 15 August, 2020, 11:31:42 am »
Is it for when you're really spitting feathers?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?