Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 396187 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #1100 on: 24 June, 2013, 11:38:42 am »
BN: On the drive down to work today, I stopped for diesel and got a hot drink.  They had no decaff coffee so I had to have normal.  I now feel really sick.

GN: I is re-inforcing what a bad effect caffiene has on my body.

Footnote: Don't worry about THoFC, I will serve up full strength coffee, just not partake myself (apart from maybe for nigth rides when the wake up effect is needed!)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1101 on: 25 June, 2013, 08:49:31 pm »
I have three tickets for the first day of the Ashes Test at Chester le Street! There were only five left when I booked them...

But, they cost me £182. And one of them is a concession.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1102 on: 26 June, 2013, 10:28:25 am »
Bad News: The trains were buggered about.  A last minute platform switch at Sutton meant that I got the train the 'wrong' way round the loop.  The same thing meant I was not in one of the carriages which I could alight from at my preferred station, and the train got held up for ages before I could finally get off at Blackfriars and walk to work.

Good News: Passing through Guys, I saw a chap with a Harris Hawk.  I asked him if I could take a photo, and he said he had to keep moving to keep the bird working.  I moved with him and got a decent photo as we were walking together.  Beautiful bird, but I'm awful glad it didn't flap when I was nearby.  I could do without an asthma attack right now.

So late to work because of stupid beggaring around, but a happy chance meeting.
Getting there...

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1103 on: 26 June, 2013, 10:34:58 am »
Good news 1: made it up the climb from Walmgate Stray to the top of University Road on a 70" gear with panniers full of crap and didn't feel like coughing up a lung at the top. Won't win any speed records, but clearly I am getting fitter. This is a Good Thing.

Good news 2: the TrailMonsterTM's rear wheel is now done. Dingle-speed off-roader FTW ;)

Good news 3: my suspicions regarding n+1's frame geometry were correct - it has, for practical purposes, the same vital statistics as the Green Machine. This means that the GM's framebag fits and I've saved myself £85 in the process.

Bad news: The £85 thus saved will invariably be spent on bike bits rather than going into the savings account.

Easy come, easy go ...

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1104 on: 29 June, 2013, 01:56:07 pm »
BN: i ache all over.

GN: Actually, there are one or two places where my body doesn't ache.

BN:  That's because they've gone numb.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1105 on: 03 July, 2013, 03:08:41 pm »
Good news: I have a bag full of biscuits on my desk

Bad News: Ditto
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1106 on: 03 July, 2013, 03:14:55 pm »

Hmm...  My team has no biscuits.  My previous team, located about 20ft away, used to always have a tin of biscuits.  They have none.

Jeder nach seinen Fähigkeiten, jedem nach seinen Bedürfnissen?  ;)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1107 on: 03 July, 2013, 03:16:05 pm »
Here, have a custard cream, comrade!
Getting there...

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #1108 on: 03 July, 2013, 06:26:53 pm »
Bad News: when I got home from today's run, I noticed that my gilet, which I'd strapped under my saddle, had vanished.  :facepalm:
I set off in the car to retrace my route, more in hope than expectation, to see if I could find it...

Good news: there it was, only 16 miles from home:  here. The young lad who lived in the cottage had spied it lying in the road and had hung it up on the fence.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1109 on: 03 July, 2013, 06:33:49 pm »
Good news: it appears that Revelate Designs now have a UK distributor, meaning that I can now get myself one of their Viscacha seatpacks without having to flog a kidney to cover VAT, import duty and the sucks-to-be-you-'cos-you-don't-live-in-the-US tax.

Bad news: it appears that Revelate Designs now have a UK distributor, meaning that I can now get myself one of their Viscacha seatpacks without having to flog a kidney to cover VAT, import duty and the sucks-to-be-you-'cos-you-don't-live-in-the-US tax.

Easy come, easy go (again)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1110 on: 03 July, 2013, 10:12:24 pm »
Good news: it appears that Revelate Designs now have a UK distributor, meaning that I can now get myself one of their Viscacha seatpacks without having to flog a kidney to cover VAT, import duty and the sucks-to-be-you-'cos-you-don't-live-in-the-US tax.

Bad news: it appears that Revelate Designs now have a UK distributor, meaning that I can now get myself one of their Viscacha seatpacks without having to flog a kidney to cover VAT, import duty and the sucks-to-be-you-'cos-you-don't-live-in-the-US tax.

Who's the distributor?

« Reply #1111 on: 04 July, 2013, 08:09:02 am »

In a similar vein
Bad News: my train is canceled
Good News: there is a sandwich shop in the village that sells bacon rolls.

Or vice versa. /belch.

« Reply #1112 on: 08 July, 2013, 09:47:10 pm »
GN: This alcohol beer is pretty tasty and I don't have to worry about getting a hangover on a work night.

BN: Given that lack of need to restrain myself I'm drinking far more and whilst there's no alcohol health worries it is an awful lot of empty calories going down very easily.

ETA: It may not be as bad as I feared - Becks Blue compared to standard Becks is half the calories @ 52kcal per bottle. And I'd normally be on proper ale which I would expect to be even more calorific.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1113 on: 12 July, 2013, 11:28:07 am »
GN: Rondonneur Pro tyres turned up, look to be decent

BN: I need to spend lunchtime reading a manual so can't install them on bike.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1114 on: 12 July, 2013, 11:32:07 am »

Who's the distributor?
http://www.backcountrybiking.co.uk/

Don't get your hopes up though - pretty much everything is out-of-stock, although they are allowing back-orders on some stuff. Lead times appear suitably ludicrous.

« Reply #1115 on: 14 July, 2013, 10:05:57 pm »
GN: we had a nice day out in Southport. Temperature was just right, with a cooling sea breeze, and sun. I wore shorts and sandals.

BN: I now have very red legs and patchwork feet.  Should have remembered sun cream!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #1116 on: 15 July, 2013, 04:55:20 pm »
BN: Buckled rail causing travel chaos at London Waterloo.

GN: Am on bike so no delays picking up MiniGB from nursery. Almost decided on getting the train this morning due to apathy.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

tiermat

« Reply #1117 on: 17 July, 2013, 11:28:28 am »
BN: The coffee machine is BROKEN!!!

GN: It's the one at work, not mine at home, phew!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1118 on: 17 July, 2013, 11:42:31 am »
GN: we had a nice day out in Southport. Temperature was just right, with a cooling sea breeze, and sun. I wore shorts and sandals.

BN: I now have very red legs and patchwork feet.  Should have remembered sun cream!
I have patchwork feet. But I don't care.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1119 on: 17 July, 2013, 11:58:59 am »
BN: The coffee machine is BROKEN!!!

GN: It's the one at work, not mine at home, phew!

Thought you had given up the stuff. ???
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

tiermat

« Reply #1120 on: 17 July, 2013, 12:03:34 pm »
I only drink decaff now.

There are other coffee machines at work, but they, for some reason despite using the same beans and water, turn out bilge...

« Reply #1121 on: 17 July, 2013, 03:38:11 pm »
Bad news : A team meeting & my quarterly performance review in one day.

Good news: I got a VG mark when I was expecting to be marked down because I hadn't submitted my Personal Development Plan*.

*WTF is the point of this document if there is no training budget and we are too busy to read the scant documentation we've already got ?  I should be writing documentation showing how the jobs done but just haven't got time  >:(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #1122 on: 17 July, 2013, 03:40:47 pm »
*WTF is the point of this document if there is no training budget and we are too busy to read the scant documentation we've already got ?  I should be writing documentation showing how the jobs done but just haven't got time  >:(

Because one of the criteria your boss (or your bosses boss) has his quarterly performance review based upon is the %-age of employees that have submitted their Personal Development Plan.

Optionally you can enter items such as "Invent Time Machine" and "Spend less time with wife and children" in your Plan to highlight the lunacy of such things.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1123 on: 19 July, 2013, 09:08:48 am »
BN: Yesterday morning, it became obvious that our old fridge, which had been behaving erratically for a while, had finally given up the ghost during the night. The freezer compartment was sort of working (but not well), but the fridge section was totally dead.

So I did some looking around during the day, & when Mrs B got home from work, showed her my choices. OK by her, so at ca 6.45 PM, I ordered one.

GN. It's sitting in the kitchen, unpacked, levelled, being left to settle for a while before I switch it on. Delivered just before 8am. Automated call at 7 am to say it would be delivered before 11, then a call from the delivery crew at 7.25 to say they'd be with me within half an hour - and they were.  :thumbsup:
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1124 on: 19 July, 2013, 09:10:47 am »
That's impressive Bledlow.
Do wish to name names wrt such good customer service?