Author Topic: Chocolate  (Read 1304 times)

Chocolate
« on: 22 December, 2014, 02:19:55 pm »
Beware the Xmas choccy box and your dog/s.... ours are at the vets being induced to vomit after we went to lunch and the MIL's choccies were left out.... No doubt a nice festive bill to come too.

Just a heads up.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Chocolate
« Reply #1 on: 22 December, 2014, 02:40:31 pm »
Oh dear, hope they're OK.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 22 December, 2014, 02:56:39 pm »
Been there done that! Mind you, it was a vet's dog we were looking after, so the emetic and charcoal food disn't cost anything.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 22 December, 2014, 03:07:42 pm »
Back on Facebook, a friend discovered her pet had attacked he Hotel Chocolat Christmas gift in its wrapper.
Not pleased!

« Reply #4 on: 22 December, 2014, 07:08:00 pm »
Sadly our older dog has had to go back to the vet for over night observation as he took VERY poorly, hyperventilating. Bugger.

Keep an eye on the chocs please. You do not want to be in our shoes.

PH
Bees do nothing invariably.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #5 on: 22 December, 2014, 07:15:56 pm »
The local vet posted an explicit picture as a warning around where I live:
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #6 on: 30 December, 2014, 01:05:43 pm »
Aside from Chocolate, there are a quite a few other foods which dogs may come into contact with at this time of year, which aren't good for them.

Onions (and related things like garlic), grapes, raisins, and avocados are very bad for dogs.  Apparently macadamia nuts, Xylitol (an artificial sweetener) and corn-on-the-cob, can also all cause problems.

The issue with onions is also the same for cats, but cats seem less keen to eat most of these items, being obligatory carnivores, and less inclined towards omnivorous habits than canines.

Cooked meats aside, I've always avoided giving any human food to cats, since there seem to be so many ways that we can go wrong.  I've occasionally let Talisker, Zev or Kai sniff something, when they seem keen to be involved with whatever I'm eating or drinking.  It's amusing to watch their noses wrinkle when given a sniff of beer or coffee. :D
Actually, it is rocket science.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 30 December, 2014, 01:29:25 pm »
Cheese may not be bad for dogs but the anecdata suggests that the effect on the noses of nearby humans is, er, not to be sniffed at.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime