Author Topic: Lightweight camping chairs/seats recs  (Read 23647 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Lightweight camping chairs/seats recs
« Reply #50 on: 21 April, 2019, 10:46:18 pm »
I think I'm going to have to attempt Sewing.

This seems to have been moderately successful.  I've fashioned a new seat out of medium-density cotton duck (tradeoff of tensile strength for ease of sewing and lower frayability), attached it to the frame and not yet given myself a horrible injury by bouncing and squirming around on it.

[...]

Will see how it goes.

Reader, it went.  No serious injuries, either to me or (more importantly) the newish cycling shorts I was wearing at the time.

Upping the game with 600 denier PU-coated nylon...

« Reply #51 on: 17 May, 2019, 10:43:49 pm »
If anybody is looking for a cheap Helinox-a-like chair, Aldi are selling their £17.99 version again from next Thursday. I got one last year, and get on well with it.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

hillbilly

« Reply #52 on: 28 May, 2019, 01:45:09 pm »
If anybody is looking for a cheap Helinox-a-like chair, Aldi are selling their £17.99 version again from next Thursday. I got one last year, and get on well with it.

I bought a pair for a basic backpacking trip in the Dales over the Bank Holiday weekend.  Light (comfortabye less than 1kg), compact (fits down to the size of an upper arm), and has the feel of being reasonably robust (survived my 90kg of toned muscle, ahem).  Only minor niggle is that it is a tad compact/tight fitting (unless you are less than a slightly strained 34" waist) and a prescient worry that the elastic snapback cords will fray and snap over time.

At £18, I can't imagine £-for-£ that the Helinox they are based on are so much better as to need spending +5 times the price.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #53 on: 28 May, 2019, 01:48:34 pm »

Bought one yesterday.  Haven't done a proper side by side comparison, but it's a bit more tight to put together, and my impression is that the poles are slightly thicker.  The logo being on the side rather than the top is confusing - I initially assembled it sideways.

Does the job, and can't argue for the price.   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #54 on: 28 May, 2019, 01:50:58 pm »
a prescient worry that the elastic snapback cords will fray and snap over time.

I'd consider the elastic on tent poles to be a wear item.  Should be possible to replace it, surely?

At £18, I can't imagine £-for-£ that the Helinox they are based on are so much better as to need spending +5 times the price.

Indeed.  The Helinox was worth it when it was the only one of that design.  Now it's a bit like Schmidt vs Shimano dynamo hubs: Yes, there's a difference in quality, but when you can buy three of one for the cost of the other...

« Reply #55 on: 28 May, 2019, 02:15:16 pm »
I did have a cheapie with vertical logo collapse under me in that there France, due to one of the legs buckling. Damned inconvenient I can tell you. Mind you my  pie to person ratio is a bit higher than Kim's.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hillbilly

« Reply #56 on: 28 May, 2019, 02:40:27 pm »
a prescient worry that the elastic snapback cords will fray and snap over time.

I'd consider the elastic on tent poles to be a wear item.  Should be possible to replace it, surely?

Almost certainly. 

I also imagine weight weenies would purposefully snip it to save another 50 grams, which would also make their storage more compact (and possibly make their own chair cover out of a lighter material than the pseudo duck cotton they come with).  It is something that I pondered over the weekend and thought "lets save that for if/when they need replacing".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #57 on: 28 May, 2019, 05:54:04 pm »
IIRC RichForrest has one with de-elasticated legs, so that they may be removed and the chair rocks on the central strut, for use within tent.

hillbilly

« Reply #58 on: 29 May, 2019, 11:48:25 am »
When the Helinock-offs a-rocking, don't come a-knocking

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #59 on: 29 May, 2019, 01:26:52 pm »
I did have a cheapie with vertical logo collapse under me in that there France, due to one of the legs buckling. Damned inconvenient I can tell you. Mind you my  pie to person ratio is a bit higher than Kim's.
I was recalling that incident with some amusement...  ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #60 on: 29 May, 2019, 01:50:31 pm »
I was recalling that incident with some amusement...  ;)

Which reminds me...

I think I'm going to have to attempt Sewing.

This seems to have been moderately successful.  I've fashioned a new seat out of medium-density cotton duck (tradeoff of tensile strength for ease of sewing and lower frayability), attached it to the frame and not yet given myself a horrible injury by bouncing and squirming around on it.

[...]

Will see how it goes.

Reader, it went.  No serious injuries, either to me or (more importantly) the newish cycling shorts I was wearing at the time.

Upping the game with 600 denier PU-coated nylon...

This was, predictably, a git to persuade my machine to sew, and I gave up and did the corners by hand.  It survived a field test (without a wriggly Nye) at Kingsbury a couple of weeks ago.  We'll see...