Author Topic: TdeF 2016 (Contains spoilers)  (Read 59833 times)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
Re: TdeF 2016 (Contains spoilers)
« Reply #175 on: 13 July, 2016, 04:16:10 pm »
Well done … SAGGERS!!! Can't wait to watch the highlights this evening!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #176 on: 13 July, 2016, 04:18:30 pm »
Some ride that was :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #177 on: 13 July, 2016, 04:22:01 pm »
It's certainly refreshing to see the yellow jersey going on the attack rather than just defending it.

Sagan deserved that for the amount of effort he's put in over the last couple of days...
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #178 on: 13 July, 2016, 04:22:19 pm »
Chris Froome trying to outsprint Peter Sagan?  That's not a sight you see every day.

Samuel D

« Reply #179 on: 13 July, 2016, 04:43:29 pm »
I think it was more a case of Froome not wanting to hang around for Sagan to give the stage to Bodnar, since every second was counting. As soon as Froome sprinted, Sagan was forced to win the stage.

Bodnar won’t have liked that, but Froome had every right to do it. If there was any doubt, he’s proving himself to be a real racer! Makes for brilliant TV.

The question is: has that 20-odd minute effort harmed his performance for tomorrow? Because tomorrow will be a big day whether or not they shorten Mont Ventoux.

Andrew

« Reply #180 on: 13 July, 2016, 04:46:33 pm »
Yebbut... htf was it even allowed to happen  ???

Major case of 'not paying attention' + 'unable to get shit together' = 'major fail'

Samuel D

« Reply #181 on: 13 July, 2016, 04:47:05 pm »
By Movistar, you mean?

« Reply #182 on: 13 July, 2016, 05:55:49 pm »
I wonder if they'll get a Sherlock Holmes-related gag into the highlights?

One of today's fallers was Sebastien Reichenbach.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #183 on: 13 July, 2016, 07:05:54 pm »

The question is: has that 20-odd minute effort harmed his performance for tomorrow? Because tomorrow will be a big day whether or not they shorten Mont Ventoux.

Presumably Quintana and the rest (well, just Quintana, no-one else is likely to challenge), will have been equally hammering it so they should be in the same position ?
I bet Froome is really happy that tomorrow's stage might be shortened; I imagine that he'll just follow Quintana and attack if he gets the chance. Quintana will need to do something spectacular to eat into Froome's lead.
I suspect he'll wait 'til the Alps.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #184 on: 13 July, 2016, 07:40:25 pm »
Froome had every right to do it. If there was any doubt, he’s proving himself to be a real racer! Makes for brilliant TV.

We all knew he could attack uphill, but this year he has added attacking downhill, attacking on flat stages and attacking spectators to his repertoire.

Who the bloody hell does he think he is... Bernard Hinault?  ;D

Nah, he's too calculating for that to have been a total rush of blood to the head. Even at 65-70kmh he will have been looking at his power meter.

The really clever bit was sitting on Sagan's wheel so he was in precisely the right place at precisely the right time. Thomas was nearly caught out but did well to respond and latch on. Unlike Quintana, who doesn't seem to have learnt from last year's mistakes.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #185 on: 13 July, 2016, 07:48:17 pm »
Quintana really needs to attach earlier and since we are over half way he needs to do that harder, more often and longer to get one up on Froome.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #186 on: 13 July, 2016, 08:32:17 pm »
Cor! That was a bit exciting!

Unlike Quintana, who doesn't seem to have learnt from last year's mistakes.

Indeed, you'd have thought Movistar would have been well prepared for that.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #187 on: 13 July, 2016, 08:46:37 pm »

It's good training for the TT, and the rest of the team are rested, only Thomas made an effort.

Andrew

« Reply #188 on: 13 July, 2016, 08:48:19 pm »
Stage shortened tomorrow, finish at Chalet Reynard apparently.

Really shit forecast for tomorrow; 90kph winds, 5°, -4° with chill factor  :o

« Reply #189 on: 13 July, 2016, 09:20:33 pm »

It's good training for the TT, and the rest of the team are rested, only Thomas made an effort.

... in the last 12km. The remainder - or at least  Kirienka, Stannard and Rowe - had a far from restful day from what I could see.

« Reply #190 on: 13 July, 2016, 09:20:46 pm »
Stage shortened tomorrow, finish at Chalet Reynard apparently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/36786486

Not just a matter of rider safety, also the spectators and race personnel...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #191 on: 13 July, 2016, 09:27:43 pm »
Yes, a friend of mine is on the mountain now, and every available parking spot is occupied. There are a lot of people up there, and they're going to get bloody cold tonight.

Edit: he says they've all left.

« Reply #192 on: 13 July, 2016, 09:41:26 pm »
Isnt Ventoux the windiest place in Europe? I seem to remember something about 300kph winds recorded at the top.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Samuel D

« Reply #193 on: 13 July, 2016, 09:43:52 pm »
Presumably Quintana and the rest (well, just Quintana, no-one else is likely to challenge), will have been equally hammering it so they should be in the same position ?

Froome worked hard in the small group of four escapees, whereas Quintana hid behind a mass of riders (to the extent that was possible with the partial crosswind). So Froome certainly worked a lot harder than Quintana in those final 12 km.

There’s a great video of the escape forming here. I can’t stop watching it!

A couple of things stand out:
  • Froome responded immediately when he saw Sagan go after Bodnar. There was no hesitation. He really is uncanny!
  • Thomas took far longer to realise what was happening and work up a full commitment to the chase. He did well to get on from that distance
  • Rowe, on the right, drifted straight into the peloton in front of the BMC boys, forcing Porte into the wind and wrecking BMC’s meagre chance of catching Froome. Deliberate? He spoke on the radio immediately before, so he was lucid about what was happening.
For those who missed it, watch here before it’s deleted.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #194 on: 13 July, 2016, 09:51:03 pm »
P SaganO hai!  I am P Sagan and I am made of teh Win!  Crazy!
C FroomeO hai!  I am C Froome and I, also, am made of teh Win!
C WindO hai!  I am teh weather and I am made of teh Wind ha ha!
N QuintanaPiss!
M CavendishAnyone got a Power Monkey?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #195 on: 13 July, 2016, 09:57:08 pm »
Well that was good fun - people at the top of their game because they're good at racing: fast, paying attention, willing to take a risk, willing to make it up as they go along but also working together. And really refreshing to see the yellow jersey a) going for it and b) going for it not on a hill or TT (beyond the first mountain stage).

Samuel D

« Reply #196 on: 13 July, 2016, 09:58:15 pm »
I like that, Mr Larrington!

It’s interesting that Cavendish said he was stuck in his 15T cog, which was apparently too low to be useful. Assuming a 53T chainring, that’s almost identical to my top gear of 46T / 13T. That feels like a big gear to me. This stage averaged over 47 km/h.

« Reply #197 on: 13 July, 2016, 10:00:18 pm »
Cardinal Brailsford: “No one expects the Sky Improvisation! Our chief weapon is surprise, correct crosswind tactics and surprise; two chief weapons, correct crosswind tactics, surprise, and the ability to keep up with Sagan! Er, hang on... we've done this already, haven't we?"

Cardinal Froome: "Bet you weren't expecting that..."

Andrew

« Reply #198 on: 13 July, 2016, 10:04:01 pm »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/36786486

I reckon the beeb have applied a Brexit factor to get 120kph wind speeds, French news said 90!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #199 on: 13 July, 2016, 10:08:14 pm »
I think it was more a case of Froome not wanting to hang around for Sagan to give the stage to Bodnar, since every second was counting. As soon as Froome sprinted, Sagan was forced to win the stage.

Bodnar won’t have liked that, but Froome had every right to do it. If there was any doubt, he’s proving himself to be a real racer! Makes for brilliant TV.

Froome was clearly very aware of the time bonuses, which weren't of any great significance to either Bodnar or Sagan, and was always going to contest it.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime