« Reply #100 on: 29 January, 2010, 02:46:07 am »

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: iPad
« Reply #101 on: 29 January, 2010, 09:35:26 am »
No USB ports, No SD card or equivalent.  Seems to limit usability somewhat

No support for Flash.  And no e-books except in the US, apparently.

Quote from: Aqua
The new Apple iPad: The iPod Touch for those who commonly fail to check their pockets before using the washing machine.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

bikenerd

« Reply #102 on: 29 January, 2010, 09:59:59 am »
No ebooks?  Rubbish!

It's looking more and more likely that I'm going to order one of these for ebook reading:
bebook neo.

A completely open platform!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #103 on: 29 January, 2010, 10:39:30 am »
The ebooks thing is licensing, just like the crippled Kindle international was.

Silly international licensing, in this day and age.  Oy de me. ::-)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

ian

« Reply #104 on: 29 January, 2010, 10:58:44 am »
Too expensive. I have long wondered about Apples pricing. The iPhone for example is over £500 unlocked. A 32GB iPod touch is £200 and is the same case it even has the cut out where the camera should be. You can't tell me the camera chip and a 3g phone chip costs an extra £300 on the manufacturing costs. If Apple sold the phones unlocked for say £250 then they would make less per phone but would shift a hell of a lot more and would probably make more profit.
The iPad is too expensive for the benefit it bestows ie being lighter and more beautiful than a £300 netbook.

That's the Apple business model though. And it's a good one. They target premium markets where they can get large margins, even if they sell less product. High volume, low margin sales à la Dell suck; when you operate on thin margins a small change in component prices or exchange rates hurts, sometimes fatally. Apple now seems to be doing a very good job with pricing - take the iPod - it's not cheap, but it sells at a good margin in epic volume. Which is the dream.

The iPad is not too expensive. Apple don't want to sell £150 netbooks. It's not about price - of course, you can buy something technically better and for cheaper but that's not the point.

spen666

« Reply #105 on: 29 January, 2010, 11:09:37 am »

spen666

« Reply #106 on: 29 January, 2010, 11:12:42 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y0k1kiore8Y&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Y0k1kiore8Y&rel=1</a>

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #107 on: 29 January, 2010, 06:02:39 pm »
why would I want to jailbreak my iPhone?

You won't.  Most won't.  But I know many who have (incl. our very own Dez).

The thing is, it's like being sold a shovel, but being told that you can only use it to do tasks pre-approved by Spear and Jackson; digging, sod-cutting, shit shovelling and so forth.

But what if you want to *spang* someone in the face with it, inna fabulous homage to everyone's favourite Mayor?

Someone's worked out a terrific and really clever new thing you can do with this tool that the manufacturers didn't even think of and probably don't approve of anyway.

Why shouldn't you go and use it for this if you're prepared to accept the risks in so doing?

Wouldn't a better analogy be that I've discovered a way of replacing the shovel head with a pick-axe head for optimum spanging efficiency but mr S&j have said that if I want them to service my shovel then I have to put it back the way it was and generally stop dicking around (technical term) with it because its a sure fire way of making the shovel go all wibbly (another technical term).

I'd afraid my world view was formed back in the olde days when PCs started hitting the corporate desktop and the bleeding edge of Personalized  Computing was to install a 'cursor pack' ripped off the cover of a PC mag. As far as I was concerned that should have been regarded in the same way as, for example, taking a copy of the corporate database on your ipod so you could leave it on a bus would be today, i.e., a sacking offence.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #108 on: 12 April, 2010, 02:50:51 pm »
Well, I've just tries one and have to say that they're utterly fabulous.  Even pretty nice to type on.  Now we just need a UK release date!

Edit: I suppose that the "tries" shows that I haven't quite got the hang of the on-screen keyboard yet...
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #109 on: 12 April, 2010, 03:25:48 pm »
Thought it was due out 29th April over here?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #110 on: 12 April, 2010, 03:38:57 pm »
I don't think there's an official date yet.  The date I've heard most often is 24th, but if that's true I'm surprised they're not offering pre-orders already.
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

« Reply #111 on: 12 April, 2010, 03:53:31 pm »
You can buy them in the UK now from Simply Electronics (amongst others) for vastly more than the expected UK release price.

16GB: £539.95
32GB: £649.95
64GB: £769.95

Simply Electronics - Search Results for apple ipad

I guess they've been imported from the US in bulk.

Obviously you won't be able to get a 3G version this way.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #112 on: 12 April, 2010, 04:34:45 pm »
I had a quick swizz on one in the Apple shop in New York last week. They are great little bits of kit, they really are. Like everything from Apple, they just...work. BUT, would I buy one - no way. Firstly, I hate being ripped off over here. The 16GB in US is $499 as opposed to the £539 GB suggests above. Secondly, I believe that price (certainly the US one) is without 3G! What the frig is the point of that?! It's a portable device but we don't have the public wireless infrastructure yet to support that in any meaningful way.  So, you have to buy a 3G one which is more expensive still. Then you have to sign up to a monthly 3G contract at £x pm.

A great product, but a little before it's time imo.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #113 on: 22 April, 2010, 03:06:10 pm »
My colleague has just picked up his new iPad. It's gorgeous. I want one!

Surprisingly heavy, though.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #114 on: 22 April, 2010, 03:19:33 pm »
I had a quick swizz on one in the Apple shop in New York last week. They are great little bits of kit, they really are. Like everything from Apple, they just...work. BUT, would I buy one - no way. Firstly, I hate being ripped off over here. The 16GB in US is $499 as opposed to the £539 GB suggests above.

They will be cheaper when they're official released in the UK. Those prices above are for getting them unofficially, probably by the company buying some in the US and getting them shipped over to the UK in bulk.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #115 on: 22 April, 2010, 04:16:32 pm »
I was a bit meh about the iPad, but I have to say, this looks awesome.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #116 on: 23 April, 2010, 03:12:02 pm »
Cats like iPads too

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9NP-AeKX40&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Q9NP-AeKX40&rel=1</a>
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #117 on: 23 April, 2010, 03:20:55 pm »
...and it's paw sensitive as well!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #118 on: 23 April, 2010, 04:01:56 pm »
Noice I want want now lol
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #119 on: 23 April, 2010, 04:02:14 pm »
And the first app I'd install in TonePad pro :D
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #120 on: 23 April, 2010, 11:23:59 pm »

You could do an audax on a tandem, and watch some films or something to kill the boredom.