Author Topic: Free Maps for my Garmin Etrex (microSD)  (Read 17023 times)

LEE

Free Maps for my Garmin Etrex (microSD)
« on: 26 May, 2011, 03:38:32 pm »
I have a Garmin Etrex with a 2GB SD card (apparently capable of holdind maps).

I don't want to pay for maps and I understand there are a few free ones available.

1) What are the best free maps? (I'd like 1:50,000 or 1:25,000 for cycling/walking)

2) How do I get them onto my Garmin ? (it came with Mapsource interface and almost zero instructions)

Re: Free Maps for my Garmin Etrex (microSD)
« Reply #1 on: 26 May, 2011, 03:44:32 pm »
I use the GB talkytoaster maps. The installation instructions are in the zip file. I've installed them on my card (without contours) and on mapsource. works great.

FREE British Isles, UK and Ireland Maps Home (talkytoaster)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2011, 03:45:20 pm »
There's a whole thread devoted to this topic...

Quick answer:  download andygates' OSM garmin maps from http://www.ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps/

You want the OSM-Garmin-Munky-UKIE.zip file.  Unzip it and copy the gmapsupp.img file to a directory named garmin/ on the SD card.  You can either use a card reader, or put the etrex into USB storage mode from the setup menu.  Job done.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3 on: 26 May, 2011, 07:24:27 pm »
Good enough for a LEJOG, and it found essential services (station, public loo and bike shop) when I needed them.  Yum.

Oh, updates are on hold until I get an upgraded PC.  The current map is fresh from late March.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

LEE

« Reply #4 on: 26 May, 2011, 08:31:32 pm »
Uploading to Garmin now.

LEE

« Reply #5 on: 26 May, 2011, 11:06:35 pm »
Uploading to Garmin now.

Looks good so far.  Need to play but I didn't even realise the Etrex acted as a Satnav and plotted a route to things such as Railway Stations.  BONUS!!!! 

Cheers YACF

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 27 May, 2011, 12:21:58 am »
Looks good so far.  Need to play but I didn't even realise the Etrex acted as a Satnav and plotted a route to things such as Railway Stations.  BONUS!!!! 

It works pretty well if used with care - make sure you tell it you're a bicycle in the follow road options so it gives you a sensible amount of warning for junctions and avoids motorways etc.  For best results, cook up a route in Mapsource that takes you via enough intermediate waypoints that it goes where you want to go, then you can happily enjoy turn-by-turn instructions on the ride.

Unfortunately the routing data in the OSM map is distinctly dodgy outside That London, so don't be surprised if it occasionally takes you on silly routes or takes ages calculating, runs out of memory and gives up.  It works properly with the City Navigator maps, so it's not the eTrex's fault.

LEE

« Reply #7 on: 27 May, 2011, 09:01:28 am »
I use Fugawi Digital OS maps to load pre-determined routes (Audax ..etc) and follow the arrow pointer, it's just useful to have the maps option as an "OK, I've had enough, get me to the nearest Train Station/pub/hotel" option.

« Reply #8 on: 27 May, 2011, 09:09:42 am »
A lot of experienced audaxers use a combined "track" and "route" option, which overcomes some of the issues....

With OSM, a waypoint on every routesheet instruction is fairly reliable, if rather time consuming to set up.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #9 on: 27 May, 2011, 07:47:32 pm »
For routing to the emergency station, it's perfectly fine.  I find it preferable to tell the etrex I'm a car, as it usually avoids farm tracks and such. 

OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 28 May, 2011, 07:16:01 pm »
I find it preferable to tell the etrex I'm a car, as it usually avoids farm tracks and such. 

Good point - my advice to use 'bicycle' routing is probably only sensible when using Garmin maps, unless you like off-road paths (which Garmin doesn't include).

« Reply #11 on: 28 May, 2011, 07:30:40 pm »
Given that this is shorter than t'other thread, I can ask a numpty question and it will hopefully disappear quicker.

What's the difference between Andy's maps and the Garmin Topo Europe I have on my Oregon?

« Reply #12 on: 29 May, 2011, 08:17:34 am »
And as a follow-up, whats the difference between them and the talkytoaster maps? I only went for  the TT maps because of the mapsource installer, IIRC.

« Reply #13 on: 30 May, 2011, 12:50:43 pm »
And as a follow-up, whats the difference between them and the talkytoaster maps? I only went for  the TT maps because of the mapsource installer, IIRC.

Andy's and Talkytoaster's maps are based on the same free source data (OSM and NASA SRTM for the contours). They should be pretty much equivalent data-wise, but the presentation layer is styled slightly differently in each mapset.

I think Andy was planning to include a mapsource installation at some point. Andy's maps can be added into Mapsource reasonably easily as is. There are instructions within that long thread mentioned above. See here, specifically: Free maps for Garmin

Garmin TOPO mapping use proprietary data from various sources. The Garmin TOPO UK product uses data from the Ordance Survey and NAVTEQ.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #14 on: 07 June, 2011, 08:11:16 pm »
Last I checked, mine pull some additional items that Talky doesn't, and it is styled in a UK-familiar way; it also has a special icon for bike shops.   :smug:   I started mine because I wanted routable and topo together, wanted fast updates, and didn't like the standard Garmin style or any of the candy-box alternatives that were around at the time. 

Try a few, see what you like, that's the open source way; I know some people who use both the OSM and the Garmin, swapping out SD Cards (they're cheap and tiny) for different uses.  In particular, if you're globe-trotting, I heartily recommend Cloudmade, who have a (very vanilla, no topo) set of maps for the whole damn planet.   :thumbsup:

Fresh OSM maps will have new stuff that year-old Garmin maps don't, and if you don't update for years because of the cost, you'll be missing that new housing estate / wind farm / space elevator. 

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #15 on: 07 June, 2011, 08:41:57 pm »
I 'm thinking of selling my Blackberry phone and my bling carbon fibre DMT shoes that I never used as I never got the bling carbon bike to go with em, so I reckon I could stretch to £110 for a second hand unit.

Though I.m confused with tecno stuff. What do I need other than a handle bar mount ?

Garmin Etrex
Garmin Etrex Vista
Garmin Etrex Vista H
Garmin Etrex Vista H X/ CX (microSD)

The list is endless.........

Also theres Topo maps ?

I think Ive worked it out you need the cable as it ain't Bluetooth.

Basically I wanna download routes for audax calender events and DIY audax so I know where I'm going. Thats it.

Thanks

John

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #16 on: 07 June, 2011, 09:41:22 pm »
Right, a summary:

X means eXpandable: These have a memory card and you can add maps.
C means Colour.
H means High-sensitivity: These have more accurate locations. All the current models are H, so you'll only see non-H models secondhand or old stock. 

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #17 on: 08 June, 2011, 12:49:16 am »
Thanks Andy  :)

« Reply #18 on: 08 June, 2011, 01:27:31 am »
Another daft question: I already have memory maps on my PC and their OS maps for the UK, can these be used on a Garmin in some way?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #19 on: 08 June, 2011, 10:00:24 am »
No.  Latest-generation Garmins can use Garmin's own OS maps - more expense.

H means High-sensitivity: These have more accurate locations.

I would contest this slightly.  H is only more accurate in the sense that some sort of fix is better than no fix at all.  In 'normal' situations where non-H models can get a fix, the H models are not more accurate.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #20 on: 08 June, 2011, 10:25:12 am »
No.  Latest-generation Garmins can use Garmin's own OS maps - more expense.

H means High-sensitivity: These have more accurate locations.

I would contest this slightly.  H is only more accurate in the sense that some sort of fix is better than no fix at all.  In 'normal' situations where non-H models can get a fix, the H models are not more accurate.

Having had both a Vista Cx and HCx, I'd agree that for practical purposes the difference is sensitivity rather than accuracy. With the HCX I can usually get a satellite lock at home whereas with the Cx I have to go outside and I sometimes lose satelite lock in urban settings and under dense tree cover whereas with the HCx I'd tend not to. The HCx processer is a tadge faster for route calculation as well. For cycling purposes the difference isnt significant though if I was a hiker I'd definately go for the HCx (Edit: Vista or Legend, whatever comes up as the best deal you can find).

plum

« Reply #21 on: 12 June, 2011, 09:55:01 pm »
I 'm thinking of selling my Blackberry phone and my bling carbon fibre DMT shoes that I never used as I never got the bling carbon bike to go with em, so I reckon I could stretch to £110 for a second hand unit.
It's only a touch over £130 for a new Legend HCx from Handtec or Amazon, worth the extra 20 quid I'd say. The legend will do what you specified, no need for a Vista really. Ages since I looked but if I remember right the only differences are magnetic compass and altimeter in the Vista, and neither feature gains great reviews when comparisons are made.

Donkey

• "Are we there yet?"
« Reply #22 on: 13 June, 2011, 05:43:51 pm »
+1 for Garmin Etrex Vista HCx
Used for 1 year now with Andy's maps :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Keep it up, Andy!  :)

« Reply #23 on: 14 June, 2011, 12:38:07 pm »
BTW - it looks like Handtec have the Vista HCX (plus a few other models) also listed as a 'NOH' version - newly overhauled - with a full warranty, for ~120 quid...

« Reply #24 on: 18 June, 2011, 01:23:31 pm »
From perusing here seems Etrex is favoured rather than the Edge? Is this price, battery life or something else?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain