Author Topic: Experiences of Teh Plague  (Read 85084 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Experiences of Teh Plague
« Reply #525 on: 27 June, 2022, 10:48:00 am »
No line today
I can go to the shop
It'll take me all day to walk there but...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #526 on: 27 June, 2022, 11:25:13 am »
Well I'm feeling pretty shit today, but I think that's due to the allergy/lurgy situation being largely unchanged, but compounded by a night of poor sleep worrying about the scrotes who put a brick through the neighbours' window[1] late last night following through on their threat of coming back and burning the house down.

[1] Neighbour went out and told them to stop knocking over wheeliebins a couple of weeks ago, and it's escalated from there.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #527 on: 27 June, 2022, 07:47:36 pm »
No1 daughter has tested positive, very dark T-line on the test,

I've been exposed last week, but tested negative twice since then, Mrs ED also negative
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #528 on: 29 June, 2022, 12:57:52 am »
Felt much better after my test walk this evening, but as with the last 3 days I've had a 3 hour sleep after tea...

Work was a bit of a struggle and managed to forget which meeting I was in at one point. But then the whole day was meetings and I got stressed out by recieving 2 text messages at once earlier so...

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #529 on: 29 June, 2022, 01:30:54 pm »
Lungs improved yesterday, and my throat's feeling much better today.  Still negative LFT, so I'm going with the allergies and/or unrelated lurgy theory.

Barakta's had some digestive weirdness, but that's probably down to one of her usual conditions.

« Reply #530 on: 29 June, 2022, 01:42:07 pm »
I'm still testing positive, but my throat isn't so sore.  I'm still having the occasional violent sneezing fit and am feeling pretty tired though.  Arms feel a bit heavy today.   Appetite fairly normal.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #531 on: 29 June, 2022, 02:09:11 pm »
Another day of meetings
Another day of failing to keep track due to brain fog

Screams into the void.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #532 on: 29 June, 2022, 02:37:31 pm »
daughter very grumpy and self-isolating in her room.  Sore throat, odd taste otherwise reasonably OK.

Mostly miffed that she'll miss her 6th form leaving do on Friday.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #533 on: 29 June, 2022, 03:10:18 pm »
Only the faintest of lines yesterday (day 11). Chest still not wonderful and energy levels definitely sub-optimal. Brain feels a bit slow too tbh. Meh. The thought that this could happen all over again from 12 weeks time... well, best to try to be optimistic.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #534 on: 29 June, 2022, 05:24:27 pm »
I have been siesta-ing spectacularly since contracting the lurgy. I'm still coughing and snotting a bit, but I think that is to be expected. But I've just had about 2 hours' zzzing in a chair, woken up when my Dear Wife brought me a cup of tea.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ian

« Reply #535 on: 29 June, 2022, 08:00:02 pm »
Quite a few people dropping like flies (only some from covid, other plagues are available) after a series of meeting aboard the mothership last week.

To tempt fate, I'm boarding the London mothership tomorrow for a department lunch.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #536 on: 29 June, 2022, 11:02:04 pm »
Day 9. Still positive. Grrr.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #537 on: 29 June, 2022, 11:29:17 pm »
Quite a few people dropping like flies (only some from covid, other plagues are available) after a series of meeting aboard the mothership last week.

To tempt fate, I'm boarding the London mothership tomorrow for a department lunch.

Don't worry, it is endemic and not a problem.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #538 on: 30 June, 2022, 09:35:16 am »
Fear not, I'll be travelling in my hermetically sealed cosplay Sage-certified entire body bubble for enhanced covid protection. It's brilliant. Till you need to use the loo.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #539 on: 30 June, 2022, 05:15:26 pm »
I have been siesta-ing spectacularly since contracting the lurgy. I'm still coughing and snotting a bit, but I think that is to be expected. But I've just had about 2 hours' zzzing in a chair, woken up when my Dear Wife brought me a cup of tea.
Last night was the first I did not have a post tea snooze
Last night was the first where I felt my walking was getting back to normal
By this I can conclude that part of the Brian fog was sitting in meetings all day

Today has been mostly back to normal, even the snot and cough are almost normal.

Gentle return to the bike on Saturday me thinks.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

« Reply #540 on: 30 June, 2022, 08:28:46 pm »
On 7/6/2022 I took the train to Hull and then the ferry to Rotterdam.  This followed Sunday in the Church and Monday at work.  The first day was very wet but I did 250km before finding a hotel slightly disappointed I had not managed my 300km.  Day 2 was similar.  Day 3 I woke up with streaming nose, coughing and sneezing.  Eyes sore and runny.  Now I used to have hay fever which was very bad in Europe in June but treatment has meant no atttacks of hay fever at all now for 3 years.  So hay fever or Covid?

Anyway I isolated in bedrooms, continued to ride 100-150km and had one day totally off the bike.  Took loads of hay fever medication which "seemed" to help.  Wore a mask non-stop and took a train to the wedding.

My wife joined me for the wedding and felt a bit tired.  We flew home and I flew out 6 hours later to climb Mount Olympus with my son home from Brazil.  In the meantime my wife tested positive!

We climbed and descended over 2 days and I was wiped out for 24 hours.  Fly home and test positive.  48 hours later the line is very faint and I suspect will be negative tomorrow.

Still coughing regularly and frequently, non productive.  Now that I am home I realise that for the last 2.5 weeks I have bee seriously below par and substantial brain fog in retrospect.

very mild compared to most but it has ruined the last month of training and I suspect that it may have wiped out my chances of doing LEL.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #541 on: 30 June, 2022, 11:07:25 pm »
Yesterday I finally went to the corner shop and bought a couple of new tyres for the solo. Today I got the bike down off the wall and turned it upside down and looked at it.

That's about as much as I could face... guess I'm commuting on the stokerless tandem with the slightly worrying wibbly not quite-true front wheel again. I would quite like to be able to face doing more than the bare minimum to get through days.

« Reply #542 on: 01 July, 2022, 08:46:29 am »
Sore throat more or less gone.  Nose still bunged up.  Still a bit tired. Still testing positive.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #543 on: 01 July, 2022, 10:28:30 am »
Yesterday I finally went to the corner shop and bought a couple of new tyres for the solo. Today I got the bike down off the wall and turned it upside down and looked at it.

That's about as much as I could face... guess I'm commuting on the stokerless tandem with the slightly worrying wibbly not quite-true front wheel again. I would quite like to be able to face doing more than the bare minimum to get through days.

It's incredibly frustrating how it knocks the stuffing out of you. I hope you improve soon.

« Reply #544 on: 01 July, 2022, 10:32:10 am »
I suspect that it may have wiped out my chances of doing LEL.

Depends whether you have lingering fatigue and the endurance is gone.   You can still finish LEL at an average speed of 16 km/h moving if you can survive on 2 hours sleep a night.  Just over 5 weeks to go. I’d suggest wait another 4 weeks before you make any decisions. 

« Reply #545 on: 01 July, 2022, 11:35:26 am »
Thanks Phil

I am going to try a ride tomorrow.  I have a delayed 40th wedding anniversary trip in the middle of July which I had planned as a recovery after a lot of riding.  i am still ahead of where I was in 2017 in terms of time and climbing but can feel all the fitness just oozing away.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #546 on: 01 July, 2022, 12:21:54 pm »
I spent yesterday in tears, but at least I had the company of a good friend who doesn’t mind a bit of snot. Woke up with enough motivation to order some vitamins and do some mindfulness work. Apparently I walked over 3000 steps yesterday, the most for about a fortnight. Bloods from the long Covid clinic came back: 100% normal, which is good in most ways, but doesn’t give the easy answer I was hoping for.
Milk please, no sugar.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #547 on: 01 July, 2022, 01:34:15 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/jun/16/dont-want-to-get-sick-this-winter-the-pandemic-health-habits-to-keep-long-term
Wash your hands but don't wear gloves.
Stay home if sick.
Ventilate but remove barriers.
Have a plan.
(And don't be on a zero-hours contract)
(Yes it is winter in Guardian-land aka Australia)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #548 on: 01 July, 2022, 04:26:11 pm »
Back at work. Masks have gone, as have most of the barriers at counters etc: can see everyone’s face, not sure if I like it.

Enjoyed my rides in and out. Still coughing, but it’s all very upper chest, throat, dry and tickly, the green slime disappeared completely very quickly. My voice sounds different though, both to me and others - hollow somehow.

Left early, by arrangement. Tired now, but good to be back in the land of the living after hardly being out of the flat for 2 weeks. Longest spell off work for many a year.

Wash your hands but don't wear gloves.

Much talk in infection prevention about this, aim is to reduce glove wearing, or at least inappropriate / plain unhygienic glove-wearing.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #549 on: 01 July, 2022, 06:02:01 pm »
inappropriate / plain unhygienic glove-wearing.

Speaking of which, I happened to pass a couple of minimum-wage catering workers on a smoking break at the back of $popular_coffee_emporium the other day.  They were holding their cigarettes in their nitrile gloves.   :facepalm: :sick: