Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 843893 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #5925 on: 11 January, 2021, 05:36:27 pm »
It looked the same to me as it did to Jasmine, although of course it's obvious he wasn't carrying the "horned intruder" (who looks to me as if he's part of a rather tacky Village People tribute band).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5926 on: 11 January, 2021, 05:37:34 pm »
I initially read that sentence as the arrested man had been carrying both the lectern and the man with the horns.

Yes, that too! It's a gift of a headline.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5927 on: 12 January, 2021, 10:17:24 am »
The meaning of the word "traffic" has switched through 180 degrees from "things moving" to "things not moving".
Councillors hope that traffic caused by the level crossing in Ash will be eased in future after approving a plan to build a road bridge over the railway.
https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/level-crossing-ash-station-replaced-19601746
This probably belongs in the "Not news" thread.

« Reply #5928 on: 12 January, 2021, 09:09:08 pm »
Just flicking through the channels and I noticed a programme called 'Giant Lobster Hunters'. It's not what I hoped it might be.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5929 on: 15 January, 2021, 08:06:35 pm »
"A lot of work was around defining that scope boundary as to what it is, and that was a clear area where there was no clarity... "
 ;D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5930 on: 15 January, 2021, 09:01:15 pm »
"A lot of work was around defining that scope boundary as to what it is, and that was a clear area where there was no clarity... "
 ;D

Y*A Ronald Dumsfeld AICMFP.

* the author, not Cudzo
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5931 on: 15 January, 2021, 09:56:26 pm »
The word "must" is getting redefined. There's been a lot of reporting recently in the BBC (not their fault, they are just reporting) of various politicians saying that other politicians "must" do things. What they mean by "must" is "We'd really like them to do this, but we know there is not a chance." This is a new usage of "must" that I have not previously encountered.

« Reply #5932 on: 17 January, 2021, 03:34:52 pm »
I imagine we've already had this but I don't get out much.

Was in the NatWest the other day for a standard forty minute wait.  Looking around, I noticed the 6 foot distance stickers on the floor and the huge printed placards by the cash machines exhorting customers to "practice social distancing".  I pointed out jocularly to a clerk that practice is practise when it's a verb.  None of the clerks seemed sure, so one went to see the manager who confirmed and said that I was the first person to notice (but no cigar - or overdraft).  So, I'm guessing that one of our major banks has furnished every single branch in Britain with these notices.  Is NatWest now actually American and we haven't been told?

Please, nobody come back and say this is now cool and an accepted alternative because YOU ARE WRONG AND ALWAYS WILL BE!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #5933 on: 17 January, 2021, 03:38:24 pm »
Nope, you’re right, it’s completely WRONG AND ALWAYS WILL BE
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #5934 on: 17 January, 2021, 03:45:16 pm »
Bestimmt!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5935 on: 17 January, 2021, 09:49:26 pm »
I can never remember which one is which, which is annoying because it's completely WRONG AND ALWAYS WILL BE.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5936 on: 17 January, 2021, 09:52:05 pm »
I imagine we've already had this but I don't get out much.
Was in the NatWest the other day for a standard forty minute wait.  Looking around, I noticed the 6 foot distance stickers on the floor and the huge printed placards by the cash machines exhorting customers to "practice social distancing".  I pointed out jocularly to a clerk that practice is practise when it's a verb.  None of the clerks seemed sure, so one went to see the manager who confirmed and said that I was the first person to notice (but no cigar - or overdraft).  So, I'm guessing that one of our major banks has furnished every single branch in Britain with these notices.  Is NatWest now actually American and we haven't been told?
Please, nobody come back and say this is now cool and an accepted alternative because YOU ARE WRONG AND ALWAYS WILL BE!

I try to think my way out of getting license/licence and practice/practise usage right by substituting advice/advise and asking myself which is right.

« Reply #5937 on: 17 January, 2021, 09:57:35 pm »
'c' comes before 's' in the alphabet.
'Noun' (practice) comes before verb (practise) in the alphabet.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5938 on: 17 January, 2021, 10:17:54 pm »
I've remembered since primary 7 that practICE is the noun, just like ICE is a noun.

« Reply #5939 on: 17 January, 2021, 10:22:40 pm »
It's one of a number of word pairs that I never got wrong until my English teacher told us never to mix them up. Now I have to think hard. Like stationery and stationary.

ian

« Reply #5940 on: 18 January, 2021, 09:32:15 am »
Or just move to the US where it's, erm, always (noun and verb) practice but also always license.

« Reply #5941 on: 18 January, 2021, 10:18:26 am »
I've remembered since primary 7 that practICE is the noun, just like ICE is a noun.

You can ice a cake, J.  Unless someone else has already done it.

Ian, the United Ctatec is even crazier than I thought!

« Reply #5942 on: 18 January, 2021, 04:47:50 pm »
Or just move to the US where it's, erm, always (noun and verb) practice but also always license.
I was going to say, 'And yet they all seem to understand each other despite these solecisms', but probably now is not the best of times to make that point.

« Reply #5943 on: 18 January, 2021, 05:22:22 pm »
I'll admit I always use "practice" for both noun and verb but I'm going to stop from now on.

But I always use "advice/advise" and "licence/license" "correctly".

I have noticed here that it's mostly "license" in the thread about the TV licence. It could be because of auto-complete though.

Apparently US English has "advice/advise", and if US English spelling really is more logical and consistent, then they should use "practise" not "practice".

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #5944 on: 18 January, 2021, 05:52:54 pm »
This reminds me of the time I taught m'colleague a simple trick to help her remember when to use while and when to use whilst...

(click to show/hide)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5945 on: 18 January, 2021, 05:55:06 pm »
Having lived in The People's Republic of South Yorkshire, I reckon it's a pretty good idea to never use 'while', either.

« Reply #5946 on: 19 January, 2021, 08:47:14 am »
and if US English spelling really is more logical and consistent,
:D :D :D :D :D :D
sez an USanian ....

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5947 on: 19 January, 2021, 11:08:54 am »
My bugbear is doubled consonants, not just since Noah Webster buggered them up but also because French doesn't double them in some words such as mariage. Ditto words ending in -ible which are identical but for taking an -able in French. Make me 'ead feel even more geriatric than it already is.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5948 on: 19 January, 2021, 11:36:39 am »
If we're doing Americanisms v Britishisms, I'll declare my preference for -ize over -ise. It just looks better to me. Probably because I grew up reading Puffins and Penguins and other followers of OED-type spelling. So when people say they want "British spellings" I know they mean -ise instead of -ize and I give them that – even though they're wrong!

« Reply #5949 on: 19 January, 2021, 11:51:36 am »
The sise of the problem can be surprizing!