Author Topic: The Flatlands 2017 - 9th Sep  (Read 42782 times)

Bairn Again

Re: The Flatlands 2017 - 9th Sep
« Reply #75 on: 05 September, 2017, 09:19:26 am »
Hope it goes well for you all.

I will be showing solidarity by sitting in the Spoons at Edinburgh Airport on Saturday, having a beer and an all day breakfast while waiting on my SleazyJet flight to Crete.

Im not really helping I know. :P

rob

« Reply #76 on: 05 September, 2017, 09:56:54 am »
Cross/Head wind on Saturday.   Sunshine and showers.   Not terrible conditions for the end of the season.

Posted a change of kit and Sunday's rations to my overnight digs yesterday.    Should be pretty civilized.   Hope so as I'm a bit short on annual leave this year so need to be in work on Monday morning.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #77 on: 05 September, 2017, 10:33:23 am »
Also the Wetherspoons Manoeuvre:     

#1. The Moon Under Water at Boston

#2. Pack Horse Inn, Sleaford

#3. The George, Whittlesey, on the way out too if you fancy it

And the Angel and Harp Arrivee...that should do it  :thumbsup:
Surely you've missed out the Kirton in Lindsey Indian Restaurant and morning coffee at the Ivy Wall in Spalding for the true Flatlands Grand Slam, the George has to be done on the way out too  :demon:  :D
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Chris F.cc

• Rapha tart
« Reply #78 on: 05 September, 2017, 11:12:44 am »
I see the Tour of Britain is riding our roads west of Scunthorpe today.
http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/stage-three/
Hope they'll leave some 'intermediate sprint' lines painted on the road for us.

« Reply #79 on: 05 September, 2017, 05:13:36 pm »
my only concern with 90+ riders is not finding my own bus stop to sleep in!

« Reply #80 on: 05 September, 2017, 08:32:45 pm »
Hope it goes well for you all.

I will be showing solidarity by sitting in the Spoons at Edinburgh Airport on Saturday, having a beer and an all day breakfast while waiting on my SleazyJet flight to Crete.

Im not really helping I know. :P
Airport 'spoons are soooo  expensive!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #81 on: 05 September, 2017, 10:02:40 pm »
my only concern with 90+ riders is not finding my own bus stop to sleep in!

I haz a seekrit Audax Hotel or two, on or near the route, for situations like this...

« Reply #82 on: 06 September, 2017, 12:29:41 pm »
Maybe a bit late for this year, and in connection with the meeting tonight, have you thought about a flatlands jersey?

Sent using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #83 on: 06 September, 2017, 03:18:15 pm »
For everyone's viewing pleasure I can advise I am back on Tubeless tyres for the Flatlands.

Those that know my previous history with Tubeless set ups will probably be thinking  :facepalm::o or  ;D

Malcolm at the Cycle Clinic managed to convince me that the new 700 x 28 IRC X-Guards were the toughest tubeless tyres out there and he specifically pointed out he had other 'big' riders on them. He also said if you break these you should give up on tubeless.....how could I resist that!

I'm not sure it was the right move, I was quite enjoying the 32mm Gravel King's from a comfort perspective but tubeless is still massively interesting to me and what better time to try it then on a 600, right?

« Reply #84 on: 06 September, 2017, 04:52:50 pm »
For everyone's viewing pleasure I can advise I am back on Tubeless tyres for the Flatlands.

Those that know my previous history with Tubeless set ups will probably be thinking  :facepalm::o or  ;D

Malcolm at the Cycle Clinic managed to convince me that the new 700 x 28 IRC X-Guards were the toughest tubeless tyres out there and he specifically pointed out he had other 'big' riders on them. He also said if you break these you should give up on tubeless.....how could I resist that!

I'm not sure it was the right move, I was quite enjoying the 32mm Gravel King's from a comfort perspective but tubeless is still massively interesting to me and what better time to try it then on a 600, right?

What's the worst that can happen?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #85 on: 06 September, 2017, 06:22:09 pm »
Maybe a bit late for this year, and in connection with the meeting tonight, have you thought about a flatlands jersey?

Sent using Tapatalk

Good idea - there are Cunning Plans afoot for expanding the appeal of the ride - it's already second only to the BCM in terms of numbers, but very different, of course!

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #86 on: 06 September, 2017, 08:56:28 pm »

well,  I'm now 50/50 tubeless after destroying my schwalbe 1 rear on Barry's Jaeger Bomb at the weekend, I'm now GP4000s tubed rear and schwalbe 1 front. Malcolms sales skills obviously worked better on you than me as I could not justify the risk/expense of the IRC option.  Searches of japanese websites have shown that Malcolms prices are well, extortionate however I can sort of forgive this given the vagaries of small scale japanese imports. Hutchinsons seem to be the choice of some but I never got on with them road or, mtb so will not be going back. What is needed in the tubeless world is something between the racyness of the schwalbe and, the durability (yet to be proven) of IRC. I really like the schwalbes, they just don't last very long :-(

rob

« Reply #87 on: 07 September, 2017, 10:29:18 am »
That wind forecast is moving about a bit.

« Reply #88 on: 07 September, 2017, 10:40:56 am »
I'm in. Haven't decided whether to ride 73" or 78" yet.

I flew round on 78" last year, but did struggle a bit riding back through the night on cold, tired legs. Not feeling as fast/strong as I did last year though, so leaning towards a more leisurely 73" spin this time.

« Reply #89 on: 07 September, 2017, 10:45:34 am »

I've got this great mechanism whereby I can take several different sized cogs with me and actually change which one to use while on the move.  It might even catch on.

« Reply #90 on: 07 September, 2017, 10:59:28 am »

I've got this great mechanism whereby I can take several different sized cogs with me and actually change which one to use while on the move.  It might even catch on.
My best time on the geared bike is two hours slower than on the fixie. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

« Reply #91 on: 07 September, 2017, 12:52:33 pm »

Flip-flop hub?

Phil W

« Reply #92 on: 07 September, 2017, 01:32:38 pm »
That wind forecast is moving about a bit.

Could be worse, 220mph gusts if you are caught up in Irma

whosatthewheel

« Reply #93 on: 07 September, 2017, 04:14:54 pm »

well,  I'm now 50/50 tubeless after destroying my schwalbe 1 rear on Barry's Jaeger Bomb at the weekend, I'm now GP4000s tubed rear and schwalbe 1 front. Malcolms sales skills obviously worked better on you than me as I could not justify the risk/expense of the IRC option.  Searches of japanese websites have shown that Malcolms prices are well, extortionate however I can sort of forgive this given the vagaries of small scale japanese imports. Hutchinsons seem to be the choice of some but I never got on with them road or, mtb so will not be going back. What is needed in the tubeless world is something between the racyness of the schwalbe and, the durability (yet to be proven) of IRC. I really like the schwalbes, they just don't last very long :-(

I was the first in the UK to trial the IRC tubeless before they became available. The "cheaper" roadlite... and I did like them rather a lot

https://whosatthewheel.com/2015/05/19/fleet-moss-and-a-pair-of-irc-roadlite-tubeless-tyres/

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #94 on: 07 September, 2017, 06:04:54 pm »

Had a blast with a 75" Fenland gear on the Shaftesbury 200 last weekend...68" if I flip [this is on Poppy Parkes, with a refurbished rear wheel, not the Genesis]. Haven't done the Fens on more than 72" for some time, but then I should be a bit stronger than in April on the Arrow, with a little LEL fitness remaining, maybe...?

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #95 on: 07 September, 2017, 09:33:59 pm »
the AMCE self-flagellation festival

can I suggest a rebranding of the ride for 2018? this is too bloody brilliant to go wasted. anyway, I'm in.  neither on fixed nor on tubeless though. but as I'm currently technically homeless, Audax hotels are my friend. plus, if I finish, inadvertently completing an Essex SR series will be one of my last actions before emigrating to free Europe.

I'll ride out from east London tomorrow night and and will ride in the  Standsted Skyline Hotel (why do I have the feeling that the name will be the poshed bit of the hotel?)

anyone fancy meeting up for dinner at GD, and maybe a couple of Essex energy drinks, Friday night?
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #96 on: 07 September, 2017, 11:54:27 pm »
Never mind all this fixed gear malarkey, I'll be lucky to get myself round on a choice of 22 gear ratios, I tried a little test ride tonight and my legs are like jelly, my knees are throbbing and my back is creaking, not to mention my mental state, as fragile as an old hippy on acid.

The bikes dirty, the chain's rusty and the tyres are bald, my fingers are very crossed in hope that I finish this end of season shindig. ;)

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #97 on: 08 September, 2017, 08:13:07 am »
It's not like you to moan.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #98 on: 08 September, 2017, 08:39:28 am »
It's not like you to moan.

Exactly right, things must be bad :(

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #99 on: 08 September, 2017, 08:41:51 am »
Are you riding with us, back to your childhood homelands Andy C33333?