Author Topic: The Flatlands 2017 - 9th Sep  (Read 43196 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
Re: The Flatlands 2017 - 9th Sep
« Reply #125 on: 10 September, 2017, 05:16:15 pm »
Feckity!  Fecking feck-feck!

I was happily cheering cyclists through Girton (Cambridge) when the news came in — that's quite ruined my Sunday :(

EDIT: in my morose state following the news, having previously stamped their cards at the first control, I realised I had neglected to wish them all GWS — get well soon!  I have been in touch with the friend of one directly to pass on those wishes, but not the other two.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #126 on: 10 September, 2017, 05:21:57 pm »
I was through a little earlier and the police were dealing with the incident on the B1188 which is the route.  They turned me around and told me to follow the diversion which went directly onto the A15.

Sounds like they are a bunch of incompetent moxxns... no matter how serious an accident is, you can squeeze a bike through a gap (even if it involves walking on the grass for 100 yards or so) and maybe it is a safer option than re-routing cycle traffic onto a fast moving A road in the middle of the night.

Hope everybody recovers swiftly!
I got close enough to realise it was the forensics team working on site and it looked as if a body was in situ so I didn't discuss.

I did think as I was going down the A15, what if? I took my chances with a lane that got me back to the route but I was very tempted to just take the A 15. I know another rider took the cross country 'private land's route.

I guess the were not expecting a bunch of cyclists but it wouldn't hurt to have an officer at the blockade advising options.

You did the right thing... clearly the cops weren't thinking straight, which is a shame. I guess having a GPS device with maps might be the difference between following the cops advice or doing the right thing... I should probably get one. My bread crumb trail wouldn't be of any help in that scenario and I'd be forced to follow the "wrong" advice

« Reply #127 on: 10 September, 2017, 05:25:22 pm »
Feckity!  Fecking feck-feck!

I was happily cheering cyclists through Girton (Cambridge) when the news came in — that's quite ruined my Sunday :(

One of the things any organiser dreads.  Hope everyone recovers.

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #128 on: 10 September, 2017, 05:31:14 pm »
I was through a little earlier and the police were dealing with the incident on the B1188 which is the route.  They turned me around and told me to follow the diversion which went directly onto the A15.

Its been on the news today in Lincolnshire. Sadly we have had a terrible few days for RTAs locally.

This is the news report on the accident that caused the diversion.

http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/man-26-dies-after-struck-452987

Is it known if the police put up diversion signs for the traffic?

I assume if the accident was between Canwick and Branston as reported they were sending traffic down towards Bracebridge Heath on the A15.

The quickest way back to the B1188 from there is via Bloxholm Lane about where the 30mph speed limit ends on the left which takes you to Scopwick.

Like wise traffic back to Branston would take the same turn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #129 on: 10 September, 2017, 05:36:00 pm »
I got close enough to realise it was the forensics team working on site and it looked as if a body was in situ so I didn't discuss.

I once begged to be allowed through a road-closure when I was borderline hypothermic in horizontal on my very first audax (a perm) — they allowed me to walk through the back of the scene, but they weren't happy.  I could well see them turning away larger groups.

I did think as I was going down the A15, what if? I took my chances with a lane that got me back to the route but I was very tempted to just take the A 15. I know another rider took the cross country 'private land's route.

I guess the were not expecting a bunch of cyclists but it wouldn't hurt to have an officer at the blockade advising options.

You did the right thing... clearly the cops weren't thinking straight, which is a shame.

The diversion would've been for vehicles up to and including articulated trucks — that's how the Police seem to think, I think.  Unfortunately, in this instance, the safer route for cyclists was to head one village east — Heighington — and then back onto the B1188 at Branston EDIT: which would then be almost completely empty, since motors were being sent the other way.  Life's too short for "what-ifs?" in the past, though — in the future it would be worth, individually, making our own decisions about the best route to take. 

Also, somebody ought to have a word with Lincs Police and suggest that a one-size-fits-all approach to closed-road diversions is clearly unacceptable and that the officer at the closure should've had his thinking hat on.  That said, I've ridden the A15 at about the 2-3am mark and it's remarkably void of traffic and a delight to put away some seriously quick miles if there's a tailwind.  EDIT: Although as I myself pointed out, as well as others, at audax-o'clock then the A15 is pretty empty.

I guess having a GPS device with maps might be the difference between following the cops advice or doing the right thing... I should probably get one. My bread crumb trail wouldn't be of any help in that scenario and I'd be forced to follow the "wrong" advice

A large-scale map, a few pages torn from an old road atlas, is more than enough.  Even if you bought a new atlas every year just for this purpose, it would take many years before you'd spent GPS-level sorts of cash, and paper maps are much better for seeing the big picture.  Digital has its place — and I'm a fan — but paper is still extremely useful and often more-so, I think.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

rob

« Reply #130 on: 10 September, 2017, 05:45:40 pm »
Crap. Missed all this.   I got to Lincoln at 11pm and then had my overnight stop off-route.

I left again about 7 this morning but also missed the B road as I crossed 5mile bridge, went through Heighington and re-joined the route South of Branston.

Thought with all those involved.

The Movers

• We just work here
« Reply #131 on: 10 September, 2017, 06:13:44 pm »
Terrible news; I hope it's not as bad as we all fear.

I hate the fact that the news is reporting this as the four riders were "in collision with a car"...

[text redacted by mod]

We do not know the facts of this case yet.

This is not the time and place to ascribe blame or speculate about the crash scenario.

« Reply #132 on: 10 September, 2017, 06:19:52 pm »

Its been on the news today in Lincolnshire. Sadly we have had a terrible few days for RTAs locally.

http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/man-26-dies-after-struck-452987

I assume if the accident was between Canwick and Branston as reported they were sending traffic down towards Bracebridge Heath on the A15.

The quickest way back to the B1188 from there is via Bloxholm Lane about where the 30mph speed limit ends on the left which takes you to Scopwick.

Not sure of road details but basically at the top of Canwick Hill the signs pushed you to the right hand side of the Y down to a 90degree right hand bend which then ended up on the A15.

The only signs I saw were at the top of Canwick Hill. Having a police car and officer there would have been helpful. I thought it was closed due to roadworks in which case bile can normally get by. Having a Sentry by the road block would have stopped that and I MAY have asked if the diversion was safe.

It was Bloxholm Lane that I ended up taking, it was dark but it seemed a great lane with a good surface.

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #133 on: 10 September, 2017, 06:30:44 pm »

Not sure of road details but basically at the top of Canwick Hill the signs pushed you to the right hand side of the Y down to a 90degree right hand bend which then ended up on the A15.

The only signs I saw were at the top of Canwick Hill. Having a police car and officer there would have been helpful. I thought it was closed due to roadworks in which case bile can normally get by. Having a Sentry by the road block would have stopped that and I MAY have asked if the diversion was safe.

It was Bloxholm Lane that I ended up taking, it was dark but it seemed a great lane with a good surface.

Locals wanting to get to back Branston would have known about Bloxholm Lane and likewise those heading south down B1188 to Scopwick.

Your description sounds spot on that it was Bracebridge Heath you went through so sounds like there were no signs beyond the top of Canwick Hill.

« Reply #134 on: 10 September, 2017, 06:33:42 pm »
Don't forget the last thing the cop on the cordon would have been expecting was a load of cyclists at that time, it's also very feasible that they had no local knowledge and so couldn't have assisted with bike friendly alternatives. This is why a map should be an essential part of your kit list.

The report of the fatality mentioned a non driver had been arrested. I concede I may be speculating, but the scene would likely to have been treated as a murder scene. You can't tiptoe round the edge of these.

My thoughts to all involved, I really hope it isn't as serious as it sounds.

John

dim

« Reply #135 on: 10 September, 2017, 07:01:17 pm »
Yikes .... this so sad and I hope that they recover  :-[

that's what frightens me about doing long Audax rides ... I really want to (and will) do long rides such as LEL an PBP but I'm frightened to ride on unknown  dark busy roads .... My wife is also nervous as we watched Indipak live from the start

I will have to do some of these longer nightime Audax rides to qualify for the longer Audax rides, and I will seriously think about using really good rear lights such as Dinotte and hi-viz such as the Proviz jacket. I have Garmin Varia Radar and it's very handy but it wont help if you are rear ended

even with Proviz, an unattentive or drunk/goofed up driver will be a hazard
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Chris S

« Reply #136 on: 10 September, 2017, 07:36:53 pm »
I really want to (and will) do long rides such as LEL an PBP...

Be careful not to confuse the UK cycling experience with that in France and continental Europe; in my experience, it's much less "American" in its feel, over there.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #137 on: 10 September, 2017, 07:52:46 pm »

Also, somebody ought to have a word with Lincs Police and suggest that a one-size-fits-all approach to closed-road diversions is clearly unacceptable and that the officer at the closure should've had his thinking hat on.  That said, I've ridden the A15 at about the 2-3am mark and it's remarkably void of traffic and a delight to put away some seriously quick miles if there's a tailwind.

I have done two recent early morning rides up the A15 from Bourne to Lincoln and it's been a delight both times; 4-7am on a Saturday and 5-8am on a Sunday, very little traffic and never felt unsafe.

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #138 on: 10 September, 2017, 07:57:04 pm »
Further news this evening, thoughts with the riders and their families

http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/woman-held-hand-one-injured-454397

« Reply #139 on: 10 September, 2017, 08:08:43 pm »

Locals wanting to get to back Branston would have known about Bloxholm Lane and likewise those heading south down B1188 to Scopwick.

Your description sounds spot on that it was Bracebridge Heath you went through so sounds like there were no signs beyond the top of Canwick Hill.

I was surprised as when I first got on there about 4 taxis shot past but then nothing more. I just checked my GPX and I was through at 01:30

As you say, thoughts are with riders and families!

« Reply #140 on: 10 September, 2017, 08:11:40 pm »

http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/woman-held-hand-one-injured-454397
An eyewitness, who was heading to Lincoln to work, said: “It was difficult to see but there appeared to be a few vehicles in the distance. It was hard to make out how many vehicles were involved but I could see a white van, but this could have been a police van.
Well that was worth having in the article!  :facepalm:

« Reply #141 on: 10 September, 2017, 08:15:48 pm »

An eyewitness, who was heading to Lincoln to work, said: “It was difficult to see but there appeared to be a few vehicles in the distance. It was hard to make out how many vehicles were involved but I could see a white van, but this could have been a police van.
Well that was worth having in the article!  :facepalm:
The standard of the articles from that rag have been appalling.

John

D

• DD
  • DD
« Reply #142 on: 10 September, 2017, 08:36:17 pm »
I am so sorry and sad to read this, my thoughts are with their families.

God Bless!

« Reply #143 on: 10 September, 2017, 08:50:51 pm »
Terrible news; I hope it's not as bad as we all fear.

My thoughts as well and I wish everyone a speedy recovery.

I'm local, the B1188 has been the scene of numerous serious incidents - this is from 2012

http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2012/08/concerned-councillor-road-safety-on-the-b1188/

This shocking video was made by Lincolnshire Road Safety Partnership after a fatal accident on the B1188 in 2016. At 3min 47secs the driver turns on to the B1188 - the video footage stops at the point where two people are killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BARk_j6Vs2s

You need to drive along the road to get the best idea but the video hopefully indicates the nature of the road. There are many junctions, bends, hollows and dips and this continues all the way from Branston to Ruskington.

We could just have easily been reading about a terrible incident involving these cyclists on the B1188.

There may well have been a moron involved - but I think it's unfair to say it was the police officer who redirected the cyclists on to the A15 at a time of night when there would have been little traffic on it.

« Reply #144 on: 10 September, 2017, 09:54:51 pm »
So sorry to read about this. Hope all concerned know we are all thinking of them.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #145 on: 10 September, 2017, 10:02:49 pm »
Ah, bugger - wishing the best for those involved...
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #146 on: 10 September, 2017, 10:22:35 pm »
I understand that Phil W is not one of the hospitalised riders. It might be better to wait until their names have been published.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #147 on: 10 September, 2017, 10:57:15 pm »
I can't describe how glad I was with every familiar face I saw today! My thoughts are with the riders, and their family and friends.

I entered the A15 at around 3:45 am, riding on my own and reached the road block 4:23am. Police officer patiently explained diversion to me, and I then asked: "But there isn't a cyclist involved, is there?" Well, he then told me a hit-and-run (maybe not true?)  crash involving several riders had happened, and one cyclist had been injured badly.  I gave officer Tom's number and name, and texted Tom from Sleaford McDonalds.

The news of the crash made me want to literally throw up, but luckily was able to control it. It's so, so sad.

A few thoughts, and random observations from the night.

- I wasn't diverted on A15 by police but had planned to ride on it all along, as its a tad shorter and quicker.

- The A15 is a fast road, but at that time of night, it was absolutely deserted. Maybe 3 or 4 cars passed me.

- At least between 3:45 and 4:30ish, visibility was good. It was a dry night, the moon was bright and it wasn't foggy. The mist only emerged when I re-entered the A15 at the southern end of the diversion at around 5:15 am ( I had a puncture on the diversion, which turned out to be a gravel track)

- it's a straight road, not bendy at all.

- I re-joined the A15 basically in the same moment when the road was re-opened for traffic I got passed by dozens of cars and quite a few lorries. No close pass whatsover.

- Drivers in Lincolnshire were generally driving remarkably carefully.Stayed patiently behind if it was unsafe to pass, and gave us enough room. I actually discussed this with a cycling companion, who shared my impression. But then it only takes one idiot, maybe drunken or texting or both.

I think its key we do not jump to conclusions.

Olaf
If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #148 on: 10 September, 2017, 11:18:21 pm »
I understand that Phil W is not one of the hospitalised riders. It might be better to wait until their names have been published.

I think its key we do not jump to conclusions.

+1 and to any speculation.

Always difficult, particularly when you have ridden the event and have also used the A15 option as I have done in the past.  Doubly difficult as we probably have ridden with those involved.  At times like this we should await further information and hope and pray for those involved and their loved ones.

As an aside, I was only thinking that had it not been for LEL then I might have been riding the event in order to get a 600 and had a smile as I proceeded to the café this morning wondering if I would have been managing the speed I was riding after a night heading toward Sleaford.  Then I came across this thread and my heart dipped.

Thoughts with the riders, their loved ones and also Tom as the organiser, as Ian has already stated it is one of the events an organiser dreads.  Best wishes to all.

« Reply #149 on: 11 September, 2017, 06:45:41 am »
Very best wishes to all involved.  hoping that any required recovery is quick.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot