Author Topic: The Flatlands 2017 - 9th Sep  (Read 42960 times)

Re: The Flatlands 2017 - 9th Sep
« Reply #175 on: 11 September, 2017, 05:07:03 pm »
As I enjoy reading other people's summaries of events.. here's mine.

Nice write up Matt, and it's interesting to read the insights about what you've changed to make the ride work better for you. Well done on your achievement.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #176 on: 11 September, 2017, 09:05:54 pm »
My best wishes for a speedy and full recovery to those injured.
I packed at Lincoln and knew nothing about it till I was home.
Very sad

« Reply #177 on: 11 September, 2017, 11:37:25 pm »
As I enjoy reading other people's summaries of events.. here's mine.

Great ride report :-)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #178 on: 12 September, 2017, 08:06:54 am »
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #179 on: 12 September, 2017, 08:11:30 am »
A curious update from "Lincolnshire Live": http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/they-shouldnt-been-there-cyclists-455755

Although the BBC is referenced there are no actual quotes. Cannot find whats suggested on the BBC Lincolnshire web site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #180 on: 12 September, 2017, 08:33:09 am »
A curious update from "Lincolnshire Live": http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/they-shouldnt-been-there-cyclists-455755
I wonder which orgsnisers said that, seeing as using the A15 is suggested in Tom's notes. It's like the BBC news saying the event finishef in Sleaford. Now anyone reading the headline will think it's the cyclists' fault.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #181 on: 12 September, 2017, 08:38:03 am »
I'm more concerned about the repeated references to "an organised bike ride" when our documentation (and, I imagine, our insurance cover) makes it very clear that as participants we are on a private excursion.  IANAL, but I can imagine some scroat of a defence barrister trying to shift the blame on to the organiser for not having "cleared" the ride with local police, etc.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #182 on: 12 September, 2017, 08:49:12 am »
I'm more concerned about the repeated references to "an organised bike ride" when our documentation (and, I imagine, our insurance cover) makes it very clear that as participants we are on a private excursion.

Split this aspect of the discussion over to: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=104940.0 as I don't want to derail this thread.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #183 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:31:42 am »

Although the BBC is referenced there are no actual quotes. Cannot find whats suggested on the BBC Lincolnshire web site.

Hmm, they might've looked at the RWGPS sources and thought "oh, they're supposed to stick to that route", obviously a false assertion.  They would've got to RWGPS via the link on the Beeb's news story, hence the attribution.  I suppose.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #184 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:50:22 am »
As a complete aside from the above, I neglected to update everyone on my breakfast on Saturday — stick with me, this is important! *

If it hadn't been for the tailwind on Saturday, I would've had some; as it was I didn't — first rider to the first control at Red Lodge arrived at about 7.50 and I stood around chatting with him while he had a fag, waiting for the control to open at 8.02 before sending him on his way.  The door to the Lodge didn't open until 8am and it would've been rude to run away.  There was immediately a queue with the locals/truckers/bikers diving in for first orders.  The next group of riders arrived at about 8.05 and there was a steady stream from then until the final group, ACME including Tomsk — who had cleared up the hall at the start and set off 15 30 minutes behind everyone else — arrived just after 9am.  By which point I'd lost my appetite.

So, thanks everyone, Chris especially, for being so fleet in the flattery of a strong tailwind, thanks a bunch — I went hungry, just because for you!  :facepalm:  ;D

Seriously, though, it was, as always, a pleasure to see everyone and to chat with those I know and meet those I didn't  :thumbsup:  I hope, individually, you all had good rides and that the headwind wasn't too ferocious on the way back (it would serve you right anyway if it was).

* obviously it's really not.

« Reply #185 on: 12 September, 2017, 09:59:01 am »
not that it matters but the ACME group actually set off 30 minutes behind the rest of the field  ;D

edit: was good to see you as well! Always nice seeing a friendly smiling face on an X-Rated event.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #186 on: 12 September, 2017, 10:25:52 am »
not that it matters but the ACME group actually set off 30 minutes behind the rest of the field  ;D

You were on fire in that case, Nik — you were nearly half an hour ahead of them by the Lodge.  Clearly fixed really suits you  :)  PBP?  ;)

edit: was good to see you as well! Always nice seeing a friendly smiling face on an X-Rated event.

As opposed to the more common scowls, gurning and thousand-yard stares?  ;)

It was good to see you too.

« Reply #187 on: 12 September, 2017, 10:53:47 am »

You were on fire in that case, Nik — you were nearly half an hour ahead of them by the Lodge.  Clearly fixed really suits you  :)  PBP?  ;)

The 78" decision definitely forced my pace and I actually had to 'attack' the hills to a certain degree over what I would normally. It lasted more or less until Gainsborough and then a mix of tiredness and FENdenitis slowed things up significantly.

need to work on some comfort issues before I go anywhere north of the 600 and a bit on fixed...I've got a couple of small but uncomfortable saddle sores and the arms were starting to feel a bit dodgy again. I did REALLY enjoy it though and it does seem to be my go to bike at the moment.

« Reply #188 on: 12 September, 2017, 11:41:09 am »
This was my fourth Flatlands. I drove to the first two, only needing an hour or so kip in the car (after an ice cream at the rec car park) before driving home. Last year I ECE'd it, to be carbon neutral, and enforce an Audax hotel sleep after Goole. This meant a slower ride and a finish 3 1/4 hours later than in 2015 (doesn't matter as long as I get home in time).

As I haven't used the car at all again this year (had one lift home with Big Saxon), I ECE'd it again. I spent Friday caffeine free in the hope that when I went to bed after the cycling highlights (9pm), I'd easily go to sleep. Failed! Up at 12:30 after maybe an hour's sleep. Two coffees and away just after 1am. Tried a different route out of MK to avoid the juggernauts heading to M1 J13, then onto the usual A507 with a slight tailwind. Onto the A120 (the cyclists' allowed bit) after a hilly minor road interlude, and had decided to go all the way round Bishop's Stortford on it. It was quiet then, unlike the return. Onto the nice B1256 (nicer but still busier than the hilly country route via Thaxted I used to use). Arrived around 5:30 for cereal, toast and tea, spotting some usual faces.

Thought about offering to help tidy, and ride at 6:30 with the ACME crowd (especially The Straggler, who was a hit at Mildenhall with my Northants/MK CTC (Cycling UK) friends, but I wasn't wearing my ACME jersey and cap. Cycled mainly on my own after stopping to change batteries (on my own was the theme for almost the whole event, as this time round I was getting overtaken more than catching riders and slowing down to chat). Bumped Red Lodge as I was on my usual mission to reach the Whittlesey 'spoons for a well earned veggie breakfast. I struggled eating (was I dehydrated already?).  Spent an hour or so there (my usual time at controls) then onto Boston 'spoons, via head/cross winds and rain. Decided I'd struggle eating my fave veggie burger/chip/pint meal deal, opting for soup and a pint. watched other Audaxers arrive, eat and go. The ACME peloton arrived when I was considering apple pie and custard (the soup/bread wasn't enough calories), but I decided to press on. I felt sick after setting off (spicy soup!), but that is a normal experience for me, and I continued dipping into my top tube bag for shortbread fingers (thanks, hellymedic). Yo-yo'd a bit with three guys (one sporting an aero helmet to go with his tri-bars), on the way to Kirton-in-Lindsay. I only managed to overtake them when they stopped. By this time I was already fed up cycling, fed up with the wind, asking myself why I'm doing it again, why did I ECE it? Had rice pudding at the Spar shop, as it was easily digestible, and donned warmer clothing (colder than my ride to the start). Cycled the lonely route to Goole, acknowledging the already returning riders. Decided to try the non-spicy beanburger at McD, along with a McFlurry for calories. No coffee, as I wanted to induce sleep. There were several riders when I arrived, then they left in two or three groups. I sat there thinking about another McFlurry when the, now swollen, ACME peloton arrived. Again, do I ride with them for company and shelter from the wind and cold? I thought there might be a scramble for Audax hotels, and so I left.

It was a cold return ride. Met a guy (German?) at the Gainsborough garage, who'd had a few naps but needed more. We rode together awhile, until I pointed out a modern bus shelter (gap at the bottom though), and he stopped. I regretted pointing to it, as the brick ones further on are better. I felt cold and wasn't yawning, so carried on. Suffered the Lincoln cobbles again. Already planned to use the A15 before I saw the diversion anyway. Didn't like the diversion off the A15 (I know I said this in the earlier accident write-up). Got a Sleaford ATM receipt, not bothering looking for the McD as I was intent on another 'spoons brekky. Last year I slogged it out to Whittlesey 'spoons, but this time I was hungry for more than shortbread and (for the first time), followed the routesheet diversion to the Spalding 'spoons. Another audaxer arrived, ate, and had a nap, while I left (again, after just over an hour or so). Why did I keep tackling the head/cross winds on my own? It'll toughen me up, I answered. It was a hard two hours (I think) to Chatteris (had lots of faff stops), getting passed by others. Went through Cambridge again (I love the wide cycle paths heading to the centre, but not the bits after). I noted locals cycling through red lights, undertaking queueing cars at lights, hopping onto the pavement etc (I see Audaxers do this too). Do we really need to give drivers more reasons to hate us? I hated the windswept road away from Cambridge, and seeing the miles sign to Gt Dunmow in Saffron left me even more demoralised, as I realised the A15 diversion must have added on miles. I was cursing all the hills to the finish (always more than I remember), and so glad to finish. I had thought of just getting a ATM receipt, but I felt I deserved a pint, I knew I needed rest, and maybe food. No apple pie on the menu, so I just had a pint and crisps. A few cyclists arrived after me. We had a quick chat. I left after around 1 1/4 hours, posted the card at Tom's, then headed home, with a mix of head/cross winds and rain. Lots of evening traffic, but I felt I could cope with that more than the hills. The hills closer to home on the A507 are always worse (and seem to be more) on the return, but I found myself dancing up them like Contador. Home just before 11pm, wet and cold, after 507 miles (two days in the life of TG?), but who's counting?

Thanks Tom and helpers for laying on a brekky start, and Nick for stamping cards at Red Lodge. I hope all is well with everyone!

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #189 on: 12 September, 2017, 01:56:11 pm »
Thanks for that comprehensive report bikeabilityman. I was considering riding the Flatlands right up to the last minute when I opted to stay home and help with babysitting (but in truth there was a low motivation factor as well). Your report is a good reminder that long randonnées are not always easy, and I find it curiously motivating to know that others are suffering as well! (Although your ECE element could be considered a substantial self-inflicted contribution to the overall suffering  :thumbsup: )

Maybe next year ...
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #190 on: 12 September, 2017, 02:10:12 pm »
It gets into my head, usually on long sectuons on my own, that I've had enough of pedalling. It happened southbound on LEL, northbound on here. I go slower and have bouts of freewheeling, even into the wind. The three guys passing me gave me some motivation for a while to get onto their wheels, a bit like when I did some vets (over 40 year olds, not animals!) racing. If only there was an 800km medal!

« Reply #191 on: 12 September, 2017, 02:27:38 pm »
I'm more concerned about the repeated references to "an organised bike ride" when our documentation (and, I imagine, our insurance cover) makes it very clear that as participants we are on a private excursion.  IANAL, but I can imagine some scroat of a defence barrister trying to shift the blame on to the organiser for not having "cleared" the ride with local police, etc.

If Paul Kitson the CTC lawyer or someone similar is used there should not be the issues you suggest. Paul was my lawyer when I had a RTA with a car. Car at fault. The driver insisted we go to court. Paul Kitson's contribution meant that the judge got accurate and well presented information and evidence. It was therefore clear to the judge who was at fault and it wasn't a small Scott MTB bicycle.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #192 on: 12 September, 2017, 03:57:46 pm »

I just dropped Holly, the author of that piece, the following email.

"Hi Holly,

I’m a colleague of yours working as a journalist with xxx. I’m writing to you with regard to your article on LinconshireLive headlined “They shouldn’t have been there” about the crash on the A15 in the early hours of Sunday morning. (http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/they-shouldnt-been-there-cyclists-455755)

I was a participant of the ride, and was probably one of the first cyclists rocking up at the police road block.

You may already be familiar with the event the riders took part. I was a long distance bike ride from Great Dunmow in Essex to Goole and back organized under the auspices of Audax UK and Audax Club Paris (ACP). http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/17-549/   It’s wasn’t a timed race, but an endurance ride with a time limit of 40 hours for 606 kilometers (377 miles). We left Essex at 6am on Saturday, and had to be back by Sunday, 10pm.
Around 100 people had signed up for the ride.

Some people may think doing such long bike rides is a bit odd. But in fact it’s an activity with a very long heritage. At the root is a 1200 km (745 miles) ride that is organized every four years by Audax Club Paris. This event runs from Paris to Brest and back to Paris and was first run in 1891. It is older than the modern Olympic games (1896) and the Tour de France (1903). These days, it is run very four years, and about 6000 people from all over the world are on the start line (my account on the 2015 edition is available here: https://cycling-intelligence.com/2015/11/25/87-very-special-hours-my-pbp-2015/) Every year, Audax UK organizes hundreds of rides like the Flatlands 600 , and has thousands of participants. With the growing popularity of cycling, number are increasing.

The ethos of Audax rides is a bit different than bike races or so called “sportives”. Self-sustainability is at the core. The ride is not sign-posted, and riders cannot expect any help or support from the organizer en route.  There is a suggested route, but every participant is free to take any legal road. The only requirement is to visit the pre-defined control points and collect a proof of passage. The route given by the organizer is merely advisory.

Against this backdrop, I’m a bit puzzled by the claim in the article saying “ they should not have been on the road,” which is referenced to the BBC.  It is true that the A15 was not part of the recommended route, and the police suggested it as an alternative to the B road closed after the fatal accident between a car and a pedestrian. But from the organiser’s point of view, every rider who wanted to take the A15 was free to do so. In fact, the organiser’s route notes explicitly mention the road . (“The A15 might be a viable and shorter route in the middle of the night. “ http://www.aukweb.net/routes/549r.zip , in the file dubbed “INFO”)

I, for instance, had long decided to ride on the A15. Under UK law, it is perfectly legal to ride your bike on this road. (Hence the police suggested it as an alternative.)  While it surely not pleasant to ride on it during day time because of many fast cars, it was absolutely deserted at night. I joined it in Lincoln at around 3:45 am and reached the road block 4:23am. Maybe 3 or 4 vehicles passed me, and as there was no oncoming traffic, they easily could use the middle of the road or the other lane without having to slow down at all. The road is straight, and visibility was good at that time, as it was a clear night with no rain. Moreover, it is common practice among long distance cyclists to have at least two really good rear lights, and many wear reflective vests and have reflective tape attached to mudguards and helmets. Like almost all cyclists, I’m also a motorist, and I can’t really comprehend how it is possible to run a group of four cyclists riding as a group – they must have been lighted like a Christmas tree.

I would like to point out these issues to the BBC colleague making the claim that victims of the crash “should not have been on the road”. The problem with this assertion is not  that it is not true. Between the lines, one could also read it as blaming the victims. I’m sure that’s not the intention of the claim, but the cursory reader may still take one the message that it was the cyclist’s own fault, since they should not have been on the road.

I would really appreciate if you sent me a link to the BBC story your claim is based on. I also would highly appreciate if you considered tweaking the headline and the claim in your article.
Many thanks and best regards
Olaf" 

If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

« Reply #193 on: 12 September, 2017, 04:36:46 pm »
It gets into my head, usually on long sectuons on my own, that I've had enough of pedalling. It happened southbound on LEL, northbound on here. I go slower and have bouts of freewheeling, even into the wind. The three guys passing me gave me some motivation for a while to get onto their wheels, a bit like when I did some vets (over 40 year olds, not animals!) racing. If only there was an 800km medal!

I think we all get that when really tired. 
There was a great reference to it in the pre-ride dinner before IPWR back in March: a guy quoting the legendary Australian distance rider, Hubert 'Oppy' Opperman. He said that long distance cycling is pretty simple - all there is to it is this: when a pedal comes up to the top, just push it down.  Then do the same when the next one comes up to the top.  And the next one, and so on. 
It sounds stupid and trivial in the daylight, but in the middle of the night, beating into a headwind, with those urges to freewheel every few moments, I found it to be one of the most profound statements I'd ever heard!

« Reply #194 on: 12 September, 2017, 04:39:11 pm »
Very good letter Olaf, I look forward to seeing response.

Meanwhile, I wish the four injured a full and speedy recovery.

cheers
LBR

« Reply #195 on: 12 September, 2017, 04:44:58 pm »
Didn't Drew say something like he cycles a mile, then when he's finished that one, he cycles another, then another? I sometimes think of Forest Gump running across America until he decides he doesn't want to do it any more. The monotony of the Fens doesn't help. It can be day or night, hilly or flat, I can be tired or not, but I just think I've done enough pedalling, or got bored with it.

« Reply #196 on: 12 September, 2017, 05:18:30 pm »
The monotony of the Fens doesn't help.
The Nullarbor gets a bit samey after a few days too!

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #197 on: 12 September, 2017, 05:23:59 pm »

I just dropped Holly, the author of that piece, the following email.

"Hi Holly
Thanks Olaf. I feel better now someone has put many of our thoughts into words. Nice to meet you by the way, and maybe I will do Ham-Berlin-Koln-Ham, despite (or maybe because of) its lack of RM status😊

« Reply #198 on: 12 September, 2017, 05:36:22 pm »
Smeth: I see you've commented on the LincRep website. Well done! I tried to reply to the Neil guy but it looks like I have to have a facebook account.

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #199 on: 12 September, 2017, 07:04:26 pm »
Smeth: I see you've commented on the LincRep website. Well done! I tried to reply to the Neil guy but it looks like I have to have a facebook account.
I'll  probably get pop up ads on facebook for Lincolnshire sausages for the rest of my life. But worth it.