Author Topic: Head lamp recommendations  (Read 5777 times)

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
Head lamp recommendations
« on: 14 May, 2011, 06:37:16 am »
I'm after a headlamp for camping/route sheet reading on my bike for audax at night.
Im after one that takes any type of AAA or AA batteries and don't get hot hot hot so I don't burn holes in the ripstop material of my tent.
Also something that will last for hours on end without having to change the batteries.

Any ideas please ?

Thanks John.

Re: Head lamp recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 14 May, 2011, 11:24:44 am »
I'd reccomend one from Alpkit. Light, cheap, runs on AAA batteries, main beam is a very useful flood, flashing mode and low power available and white, green and red small leds for reading by. I find green is best for reading route sheets. Battery pack also has a red flashing led. Straps are easily removed to cable tie lamp to your helmet.  Sleeping bags and camping mats with free UK delivery from Alpkit

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #2 on: 15 May, 2011, 12:54:11 pm »
Try moving this to the knowledge  :thumbsup:

I use a petzl tikka plus myself: Petzl Tikka Plus Head Torch / Torches

If I'm wearing a helmet (not very often) I undo the straps and thread them through the vents of my helmet.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #3 on: 15 May, 2011, 01:27:39 pm »
Another vote for the
 Outdoor Gear Shop - Alpkit
]Alpkit Gamma[/url]. Lasts hours in single LED mode, has a 1w for fixing things on the bike and at £12.50 including Duracell batteries then VFM wise you can't fault it.

Rund on 3AAAs which are in a pack on the back of the head
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2011, 12:53:52 am »
I have a Petzl Tikka Plus.  I can't fault it for camping/map reading/fettling, though I do occasionally wish it had a bit more oomph for night riding on the recumbent (bike lights are fixed to the bike's axis not the steering axis, so you can find yourself turning into darkness at times).

My only real complaint is a philosophical objection to 3xAAA batteries, but they last long enough that it's not as annoying as I think it will be in the real world (I use hybrid NiMHs and charge them up fully before night rides/camping trips), and have rarely had to change them.

What's the Alpkit one like with NiMH batteries?  I hear good things about it, but vaguely recall something about it not liking rechargables.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2011, 08:09:06 am »
I've always used NiMh batteries in mine and haven't encountered any problems.

« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2011, 11:12:40 am »
I use a tikka XP2
Modes: bright white, dim white. flashy white, red, and flashy red.
Bright white is enough to ride with if need be.
3xAAA, or an optional Li-ion pack that also allows fiddling with the brightness settings.

Headtorches that restrict what type of batteries you can use do so not because they won't work with lithium disposable or NiMh rechargeable, but because there's no fuse.
The internal resistance of the disallowed battery types is low enough that a short circuit could set the head torch on fire. This has happened with back-of head battery packs where repeated flexing has damaged the cable to the front.

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #7 on: 16 May, 2011, 02:52:07 pm »
LED Lenser H7:-

Led Lenser H7 Headlamp Head Light Torch New | eBay UK

I can't speak too highly of these.  Both beam and intensity variation with a flick of the thumb.  Fabulous bit of kit. :thumbsup:
Old enough to know better!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2011, 03:00:37 pm »
I'm another with a Petzl Tikka Plus. It's great for reading by, or rummaging around in panniers/rucksack, just about ok for walking, no good at all as a riding light, IMO.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2011, 06:53:55 pm »
Headlamps, Gear and Technical Advices for Mountain sports, Rescue and Work-at-height | Petzl has been making headlights for a long, long time, along with other outdoor equipment. Their headlamps aren't the cheapest around, but they're sturdy and well thought out. My Petzl Tikka XP has served me well for quite a few years in various outdoor endeavors. Worn normally the beam projects downward so you can read maps/notes etc. or see the ground in front of you as you walk/run, so it's not much good for cycling, especially with drop bars.

Just about every headlamp made today has LED bulbs, so it won't get hot and batteries will last a long time. Petzl and a few other companies make dual beam headlights that can be switched between a halogen bulb and LEDs. These tend to be bulky and expensive, though.

« Reply #10 on: 16 May, 2011, 07:48:51 pm »
+1 for the cheap Alpkit , it's a great bright headtorch that on it's high setting could get me through the night stage of an audax if my dynamo light failed. It is my backup light and I tend to use it on low power so I can read my route sheet and also shine it at road signs and even motons who look like they might be about to pull out on me. You can direct it straight into the eyes of motons who don't dip their headlights  :demon: Even on low it's good and bright. You can choose the colour of the head band too  :thumbsup:

Amazingly on low setting I've found mine can run all night on one set of 3 AAA batteries on my recent 400. On fast descents you can turn it up to full and get a good bright fairly focused beam to help you see better.
I also really like the little red light it has on the battery pack at the back of your head. This can be either on as a red strip light or flashing. A good bit of extra visibility that makes no noticable difference to battery life. It's only £12.50!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 16 May, 2011, 11:11:20 pm »
I have a Petzl tikka plus, it does the job and I dont think anymore about it.

Just one thing I prefer to have the lowest setting on so that I dont get too much reflection from the plastic bag protecting my route sheet.
O'LEL what have I done!

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #12 on: 18 May, 2011, 02:51:41 pm »
Super Bright White LED Micro Head Lamp Dlash Light on eBay (end time  26-May-11 11:42:30 BST)

£1.59 from Ebay, post free from China so it took weeks to arrive. Same as the one I paid a tenner for. Very light, you don't notice it is there. Two tiny batteries in the saddlebag, not needed to replace them yet. Ideal.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #13 on: 19 May, 2011, 03:06:21 pm »
You need to add this query to Yet Another Caving Forum (www.yacf.co.uk)  those boys and girls really know about head lamps. 

« Reply #14 on: 19 May, 2011, 08:29:48 pm »
+1 Alpkit

Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #15 on: 19 May, 2011, 08:54:56 pm »

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #16 on: 19 May, 2011, 09:07:55 pm »
Thanks for all your replies.

Ive orded the Alpkit. It has red, green & a white light. The red could be used as a emergency rear light and the green is good for map reading of what I did not know.+ it's affordable for me and comes from a reputable company. Excellant !

I was expecting loads of recomendations for £50 + heads lamps with you lot as most have expensive taste. All good though  :)

Thanks

John

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #17 on: 19 May, 2011, 09:13:35 pm »
Some of this lot are audaxers.Not known for splashing the cash ;)

« Reply #18 on: 19 May, 2011, 09:17:03 pm »
Think you will be chuffed when you see what you get for £12.50 is good kit.

« Reply #19 on: 19 May, 2011, 09:17:51 pm »
Some of this lot are audaxers.Not known for splashing the cash ;)

Haha, you wouldn't say that if you knew how much I'd spent on my audax bike  ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #20 on: 19 May, 2011, 09:19:09 pm »
Yebbut that's essential expenditure innit :thumbsup:

« Reply #21 on: 19 May, 2011, 09:22:37 pm »
Yebbut that's essential expenditure innit :thumbsup:

Absolutely, it was a totally unavoidable expense  ;D

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #22 on: 19 May, 2011, 09:24:00 pm »
rather like the soot-bike I bought.I only went in the lbs for 2 inner tubes ::-)

« Reply #23 on: 19 May, 2011, 09:26:03 pm »
New touring bike tomorrow wooot......

« Reply #24 on: 19 May, 2011, 09:47:39 pm »
I ordered an Alpkit Gamma on Tuesday evening based on the recommendations here.  It arrived today and, now that it is dark, I have just been out in the back garden for an unscientific comparison with my Fenix L2D.  I am impressed !