Author Topic: How long does a Brooks last?  (Read 3813 times)

Re: How long does a Brooks last?
« Reply #25 on: 20 October, 2011, 12:24:23 pm »
For my bottom I've found that a saddle with a cut out, or depression in the top, is the best.  I don't believe Brooks make many like that, although I have seen some cutaway versions (modified/copied by another company?)  Either way I can't see them working as the cutout edges will start creeping together as the leather softens/sags - and I'm sure I recall one tale of a rider with one of those who found the saddle started pinching them down below  :hand:.
http://www.brooksengland.com/catalogue-and-shop/saddles/touring+%26+trekking/B17+Imperial/
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #26 on: 20 October, 2011, 03:04:07 pm »
For my bottom I've found that a saddle with a cut out, or depression in the top, is the best.  I don't believe Brooks make many like that, although I have seen some cutaway versions (modified/copied by another company?)  Either way I can't see them working as the cutout edges will start creeping together as the leather softens/sags - and I'm sure I recall one tale of a rider with one of those who found the saddle started pinching them down below  :hand:.
http://www.selleanatomica.com/products/

Euan Uzami

« Reply #27 on: 20 October, 2011, 03:17:29 pm »
Bearing in mind folk say you often need to ride a Brooks until it's broken in, and not many bike shops will let you trial saddle after saddle, maybe its not a patience thing but a funding one ;)
It may well depend on funding, you're right. It may be expensive to find the right one, but that's entirely different from there not being a right one at all ;)

I've tried a fair number of brooks over the years (i.e. ridden other peoples bikes, some with worn Brooks others with brand new ones).
You can completely write off the results of that experiment unless you spent time to try out various different positions to get it in the correct position for you.

« Reply #28 on: 20 October, 2011, 03:29:27 pm »
http://www.selleanatomica.com/products/

No they dont, because you tighten the bolt and the gap opens again. The leather can stretch however beyond retensioning and I've just ordered a new one due to this reason altho' the company will recover the saddle. They offered me a discount as it would have been v.expensive in shipping/recovering. Worth a look at the site.

« Reply #29 on: 20 October, 2011, 03:46:07 pm »
No they dont, because you tighten the bolt and the gap opens again. The leather can stretch however beyond retensioning and I've just ordered a new one due to this reason altho' the company will recover the saddle. They offered me a discount as it would have been v.expensive in shipping/recovering. Worth a look at the site.

Selle An-Atomica has recently revised the cutoff point for the "light" verson of the saddle downwards from 78kg to 64kg. I had a light version (being 68-70kg) but it stretched quite quickly. I've got a standard version now which seems fine. I may get my light one re-covered to a standard at some point. They are also proto-typing a "heavy" version (Titanico X) for riders more than 200lbs/91kg.

Still think it's a great long-distance saddle.

« Reply #30 on: 20 October, 2011, 08:06:44 pm »
Friend of mine has a fifteen year old B17 which has not broken in (rogue cut?) he is talking about getting rid of it as is as new and he finds its very uncomfortable. My honey B17 is months old and armchair comfy. How long it will last dunno but I suspect a long time as it will be looked after.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: 20 October, 2011, 10:19:42 pm »
I have three Pros. The oldest is 26yrs and still going strong. The next is near that age. The third is around ten years old and the leather seems to be of poorer quality.

« Reply #32 on: 21 October, 2011, 08:06:18 pm »
I have a brand new pro number 0468 near my feet atm. I could bang nails in with it but 'tis a thing of beauty just waiting for it's ti frame.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

corshamjim

« Reply #33 on: 21 October, 2011, 08:15:30 pm »
I think it's quite random how long a Brooks will last.  The one which came on my Pashley lasted about 6 months before it was too saggy to be useable and my Brooks Flyer lasted about 18 months before I felt it was past the sweet point and getting less rather than more comfortable.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #34 on: 22 October, 2011, 02:07:38 pm »
The first Brooks I had, ( after I wore out my expensive saddle , which I'd saved up what was a fortune to me in the 70's to buy, on a summer long trip across Europe) was already about 20 years old when my great uncle gave it to me.  I still have it, and the only reason I'm not using it, is because on a modern seat post, it won't sit level.  I also have an engraved leather, lovely women's sprung saddle which belonged to my great aunt and must be at least 60 years old, probably more.  it is now fitted on an old French Terrot women's bicycle that I rescued from a skip. However, that has not seen the use that my great uncle's has.   It must have done many thousands of miles.   He had done that thing of threading holes on each side so it could be laced if it sagged, although I've never done this. Over the last 15 years I have acquired 3 others, 2 second hand, for each of my other bikes.  I don't expect to have to buy any more saddles ever, now.  I'll feel cheated if any of them fail.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #35 on: 22 October, 2011, 03:38:37 pm »

Selle An-Atomica has recently revised the cutoff point for the "light" verson of the saddle downwards from 78kg to 64kg. I had a light version (being 68-70kg) but it stretched quite quickly. I've got a standard version now which seems fine. I may get my light one re-covered to a standard at some point. They are also proto-typing a "heavy" version (Titanico X) for riders more than 200lbs/91kg.

I got the thicker one for 'heavier riders or big mileage' and it's still stretched to almost halfway on the tension bolt. Has worked great for me this year but it could certainly do with a few design tweeks to improve little things (pre-tensioning leather, something to stop the front of the saddle twisting & squeeking etc.), but I get the impression its creater seemed to think it was utterly perfect and the best thing since sliced bread and probably wouldn't have taken such criticism well!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #36 on: 22 October, 2011, 05:56:03 pm »

I got the thicker one for 'heavier riders or big mileage' and it's still stretched to almost halfway on the tension bolt. Has worked great for me this year but it could certainly do with a few design tweeks to improve little things (pre-tensioning leather, something to stop the front of the saddle twisting & squeeking etc.), but I get the impression its creater seemed to think it was utterly perfect and the best thing since sliced bread and probably wouldn't have taken such criticism well!

I agree that the saddle isn't perfect, but I think the new owners (Tom Milton died in 2010) are continuing to develop the product and that is a good thing. Hence the re-designation of the original weight cutoff (which would have helped me with my choice) and the realisation of the need for a third weight band with the Titanico X. They've also fixed the nose bolt squeaking, although I solved mine with a small squirt of oil...

« Reply #37 on: 22 October, 2011, 11:30:40 pm »
I have three Pros. The oldest is 26yrs and still going strong. The next is near that age. The third is around ten years old and the leather seems to be of poorer quality.

I just discovered I bought the Team Pro I just did PBP on in 2006, and it is just starting to break-in properly now.  I think the copious quantities of Sudocrem it got subjected to in France has helped.  I don't anticipate having to replace it within 10 years. 

The Honey Team Pro I bought last year is showing no signs of changing from solid plank consistency just yet.

border-rider

« Reply #38 on: 22 October, 2011, 11:35:47 pm »
I got my Team Pro for LEL 2001 and it's still in the prime of life. It's impervious to rain and stuff by now.

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
« Reply #39 on: 23 October, 2011, 11:28:56 am »
3 Brooks,
a Conquest (12 years of use, shows stretching around rivets, used almost daily, soft and fine),
a B17 (5 years, soft and fine),
a Swallow (1 year, asymmetrical break in [not sure what's going on, my bum appears to be symmetrical], still not a 100% comfy leather-wise)
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

Euan Uzami

« Reply #40 on: 23 October, 2011, 03:12:20 pm »

I just discovered I bought the Team Pro I just did PBP on in 2006, and it is just starting to break-in properly now.  I think the copious quantities of Sudocrem it got subjected to in France has helped.  I don't anticipate having to replace it within 10 years. 

The Honey Team Pro I bought last year is showing no signs of changing from solid plank consistency just yet.

You did PBP in 2006?  :-\ What just rode the route on your own as a perm?   ;)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #41 on: 23 October, 2011, 03:40:50 pm »

You did PBP in 2006?  :-\ What just rode the route on your own as a perm?   ;)
That would presumably be the UAF PBP Audax, which runs every five years.