Author Topic: Tubeless Q? Would you risk this?  (Read 981 times)

Tubeless Q? Would you risk this?
« on: 05 November, 2013, 01:12:53 pm »
I've got UST XT rims but want to try my non tubeless/ust tyres, DMR MOTO RT. I can get them to inflate and hold pressure but unsure if they'll stay on the rim going round a bend doing 40mph, without trying of course. I will be using stans in the tube too, and using a mid-high pressure.

So, ust rim standard tyre with stans, safe or will they burp, fly off!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: Tubeless Q? Would you risk this?
« Reply #1 on: 05 November, 2013, 01:37:08 pm »
I use non-tubeless tyres on non tubeless rims  and I'm not dead yet! Don't know the tyre/rim combination but you should be OK as long as the rim's not too narrow for the tyre

You could try asking on singletrackworld as folks there are more into tubeless

« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2013, 01:44:20 pm »
The motos fit nicely on the rim Paul, they fill the rim recess nicely and are pretty hard to pull out when deflated. I've pumped them to 85 psi with no blow off, the rec. is 65. I'll be using them at 40-50psi. The xts have been made slightly wider to accommodate a larger tyre apparently.

Like you, I think I'm going to risk it. I'll just go a bit gingerly on fast sections until I'm a bit more confident they're okay.  I've looked on stw and lots use them tubeless but for dirt and street, most don't hurtle down tarmac descents on them.

The problem is, there's not much tubeless options for this type of tyre. Kenda small blocks are £30 a pop. I paid that for both of these!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2013, 02:24:59 pm »
Just had a quick nip out on 45psi, felt good on the road. Also tried 30psi without issues. Only tested to the next street and back but feels safe enough. I may nip out tonight for a few miles to give it a proper run.

« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2013, 04:30:56 pm »
On, sealed and ready for a spin out tonight.........fingers crossed.

I can't get them to push off the rim and burp at 25psi using my hands, tried forcing them on the ground at an angle and on to an edge. I'll be running them at 40-45psi on road and can drop them to 30psi off road, hope they stop the thorns being a nightmare now!

PaulF

« Reply #5 on: 06 November, 2013, 04:55:22 pm »
Think you should be OK I run mine at about 25psi. Mavic TN719 rims with a variety of tyres and haven't had a problem

« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2013, 05:19:57 pm »
Hope so Paul. They're a wire bead so will take the higher psi, can't wait to try them.

If I don't post on here later tonight, I've died!

« Reply #7 on: 06 November, 2013, 10:15:28 pm »
Worked brilliantly Paul :thumbsup:

Only had a couple of hours just to test them. They are both still at the same pressure but there's a little bit on the front sidewall not sealed. I know because it's rained all the time I've been out and there's the little tell tale bubble nest on the tyre about 2mm across. I'll sort that tomorrow.

I don't know if it's my imagination but it feels like there's less rolling resistance even running at 40. I know the tubes now out but it's still full of stans, had to use 3 scoops per tyre!

Glad they've worked, there's not much on offer for ust urban tyres.

PaulF

« Reply #8 on: 06 November, 2013, 10:38:56 pm »
Glad to hear it worked!

Reduced rolling resistance is another of the reported benefits of tubeless. Can't say I've noticed it myself, I just appreciate the reduced number of punctures.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 06 November, 2013, 10:54:36 pm »
For those of us who don't really know tubeless rims (maybe that's just me): don't they have hooks for tyre beads?

All rims were hookless once upon a time.  People just used lower air pressure then.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #10 on: 06 November, 2013, 11:19:07 pm »
The ust tyres have a larger more square bead and hook with the rims to suit. The bench on the rim is large enough to accommodate standard more rounded beads which hopefully hold when inflated. Luckily my DMRs are fairly soft so when inflated they've held well.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/To-The-Point-UST-Rims-Tires-2013.html

http://bontrager.com/technology/why_tubeless_ready

« Reply #11 on: 07 November, 2013, 02:25:15 pm »
Bontrager claim fewer flats with tubeless road tyres.

How so?

I can see that if you run your tyres at lower pressures, tubeless has less risk of pinch flats. But I can't see how it has less risk of flatting from glass, etc (unless the sealant works really really well and seals small punctures).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #12 on: 07 November, 2013, 02:33:09 pm »
The sealant is excellent, this is why I've gone over to tubeless on this bike. Any major holes can be sealed inside the tyre with a patch. I'm carrying a spare tube too. The only thing you have to watch if installing a tube is checking inside the tyre for thorns etc that have penetrated and sealed. When you fit stans sealant you can see areas that it has sealed and set. I also rubbed the rims and beads with stans and you can see where it's set.

http://www.notubes.com/helpcenter.aspx

« Reply #13 on: 07 November, 2013, 03:15:18 pm »
What is it like getting a tyre on and off when using this sealant?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14 on: 07 November, 2013, 03:23:26 pm »
Easy.

I fitted the tyre using a tube to get the tyre to sit into the rim. Let the air out, popped one bead leaving the other on (didn't have to on one rim both sides popped easily ). Poured the sealant in, working from the bottom pushing the tyre back over the rim. Used a track pump to inflate but they also inflate with a mini pump, thank God!

Just remember the liquid is at the bottom of the tyre when removing, take care where the valve is. I turn the valve pointing down letting any sealant drain then put it tdc and open. The xt valves are crap, they don't have removable cores!!

I'm using standard tyres too, not ust which are easier. Some people have issues inflating because the tyres are too loose. You can overcome this using cartridges or a compressor to give a burst of air quickly to inflate. Rim strips help too if you've got them, they make the rim radius larger seating the tyre better. Ust rims don't need this though but you can fit them to help with standard tyres or use a ghetto 20" slit inner tube.

« Reply #15 on: 08 November, 2013, 10:20:21 am »
No.