Author Topic: Removing a car wheel  (Read 2583 times)

Re: Removing a car wheel
« Reply #25 on: 06 November, 2013, 09:25:12 pm »
The best option is to carry a spider
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-CARAVAN-WHEEL-NUT-BRACE-SPIDER-4-WAY-17mm-19mm-21mm-23mm-/130931701342?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1e7c23365e

The push-me-pull-you force is far more effective, and if needed you can support the end and stand on the arm. The improved rotational torque will remove just about anything without fuss, the comparison to a standard wheel brace is something to be experienced.

« Reply #26 on: 06 November, 2013, 10:56:57 pm »
You can certainly give a wheel nut spider a good bit of wellie, but having bent and snapped the weld on one (with my bare hands!), I now keep a telescopic square drive lever in the car (with appropriate sockets).  :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #27 on: 06 November, 2013, 11:10:24 pm »
The alloy is corroded on to the hubs, good luck.

Now take all the wheels off and smear the mating surface with copper grease.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #28 on: 06 November, 2013, 11:36:33 pm »
there you go - girlpower! :thumbsup: (sorry for the poor quality photos)

Shall we critique this?  Did you do the correct health and safety assessment? :facepalm:

First photo it that it is good that the car is on the ground but careful with both feet off the ground with canvas shoes...I can show you a scar....on my foot. :(  No need to stamp on the wheel bolts as they don't have to be that tight to attach to the car.  Also careful of slipping off, in those canvas shoes.

Please take this as the way I intend it that damaged feet take ages to heal. O:-)

Also no hi viz or gloves  :thumbsup:

« Reply #29 on: 07 November, 2013, 01:45:28 pm »
Another vote for a telescopic wheel brace. I got mine in Lidl for not very much and have used it in anger twice. It's so much better than the crap wheel brace supplied with the car.

« Reply #30 on: 07 November, 2013, 03:12:22 pm »
After changing wheels, I checked the torque on the studs with a torque wrench.  (120Nm for mine). I had tightened them by hand using the car supplied wrench to ensure I could unscrew them by hand if required.

Only two studs  needed a smidgeon more, the others were slightly over torqued.  There is a reason the supplied wrench is short.

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #31 on: 07 November, 2013, 03:33:40 pm »
  There is a reason the supplied wrench is short.
Yes, short wrench for tightening up so as to not over tighten.
4' long caffold pole to loosen them after garage has friction welded them on with the air impact gun. :facepalm:

« Reply #32 on: 07 November, 2013, 08:25:14 pm »
A while ago, I was in a Kwikfit garage (no not my own money) and I was treated to an excellent demonstration of how to use a torque wrench.

The trained monkey using a 3' torque wrench tightened the nut up to the set torque, but then gave it an extra special strong heft, because after all stronger is better, isn't it?