Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1754932 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #9325 on: 26 May, 2016, 12:35:03 pm »
OD, a new idea......Tour de Lure.....the idea of MEMWNS riding closer to the borders of Essex (or over them) trying to Lure other YACF'ers out to the pub on a Wednesday

« Reply #9326 on: 26 May, 2016, 07:22:24 pm »
OD, a new idea......Tour de Lure.....the idea of MEMWNS riding closer to the borders of Essex (or over them) trying to Lure other YACF'ers out to the pub on a Wednesday
Sounds like a visit to Bishop's Stortford is on the cards then :-)

It was good to meet up with those out last night, and as I expected I met a few folk I've ridden with or seen at various Audax rides. I'll aim to get out whenever I can on future Wednesdays, especially when the destination is north or west of the Witham start.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #9327 on: 26 May, 2016, 07:36:08 pm »
Newbies, as mentioned last night don't be shy in suggesting target pubs that are easier for you to get to and feasible for the rest of the gang, I think you have an idea of where we all come from.  The group thrives on new blood and new ideas so no pressure  ;D   :-*

Forward planning alert ...
Regarding the next two Wednesdays (1st and 8th June).  I shall be running Witham Cycling led rides on both evenings starting from the Spa Road roundabout at 7:30.  The first ride is going to The Compasses at LG and the second to The Cats via TMNH.  You lot are most welcome to tag along, or meet us at the target pubs or do you own things entirely.

A hat will be passes around on both occasions to collect funds.

« Reply #9328 on: 27 May, 2016, 09:08:41 am »

This is getting worse than a charity  ;D

I might try and make to the Witham rides, I might even test my Fixed touring Rig on Next Wednesdays ride.....sod taking it up TMNH

« Reply #9329 on: 27 May, 2016, 09:34:03 am »

This is getting worse than a charity  ;D

I might try and make to the Witham rides, I might even test my Fixed touring Rig on Next Wednesdays ride.....sod taking it up TMNH

That sounds painful. Not sure I'd want to tour on fixed. Steamroller resurrected, stripped of all unnecessary hardware and fitted the biggest set of tyres that I could squeeze under the brakes. Now rolling on 700x38 which makes a big difference. Managed 120k last night on it and feeling pretty fresh this morning. 

I'm on holiday next week so should be out next Wednesday.

« Reply #9330 on: 27 May, 2016, 10:15:05 am »

That sounds painful. Not sure I'd want to tour on fixed. Steamroller resurrected, stripped of all unnecessary hardware and fitted the biggest set of tyres that I could squeeze under the brakes. Now rolling on 700x38 which makes a big difference. Managed 120k last night on it and feeling pretty fresh this morning. 

I'm on holiday next week so should be out next Wednesday.
I am kind of wobbling on doing the tour on the fixed....I guess I'll decide once my Rack arrives.

I have planned the tour over 4 days and the longest day is the first one from Hook of Holland to Cadzand (~120km) but I figure getting off the Harwich ferry by 9 gives me the best part of 10-12 hours of daylight to do that distance in. It also includes a couple of ferry crossings so I think the actual riding distance is closer to 110km.

The following day to Ypres is about 80km and then it is 70ish back up to Dunkirk on the Sunday. I have also planned a route of about 60km on the 3rd day around Ypres to see some sights, including a ride up the back of the Kemmelberg but no gear on there and with my new trainer style SPD shoes I don't mind if I have to walk

Considering I have seen people ride the Chapman and PBP on Fixed I reckon even with my gear doing 270km and a total of about 750m of ascent will be doable. I might swap out the new brooks for the more worn in one though!

Steamroller sounds good, you managed to fit 38's in there.....I thought it was looking pretty tight already!

« Reply #9331 on: 27 May, 2016, 11:11:26 am »
Steamroller sounds good, you managed to fit 38's in there.....I thought it was looking pretty tight already!

Mudguards have gone so no clutter. Using it for dry day commuting and might do a couple of audax on it. Probably go for Hereward on it.

Tour sounds really good. Will it be pretty flat where you're going? Fixed might be ok if not too many hills.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9332 on: 27 May, 2016, 11:15:38 am »
Be brave tippers, do your tour on fixed, it'll be the only way you find out whether its possible or not. 

I don't know whether its possible to get a fully loaded Surly Disc Trucker up a 1:4 Yorkshire hill but I'll be finding out in a few weeks time!

« Reply #9333 on: 27 May, 2016, 12:00:59 pm »

Mudguards have gone so no clutter. Using it for dry day commuting and might do a couple of audax on it. Probably go for Hereward on it.

Tour sounds really good. Will it be pretty flat where you're going? Fixed might be ok if not too many hills.
That makes sense....that's got to be a pretty comfy tyre. I just started with the guards on my day one yesterday....front one is on and looking good. I finally deployed the Axiom Spacer OD gave me after attacking it with the Dremel it has done a cracking job.

The route I have at the moment (still being finalised) is pretty flat. I think Altitude gets up to a heady ~50m at one point.
Day 1 is pretty much no climbing
Day 2 it looks to roll a bit between Brugge and Ypres
Day 4 a few little hills

Complete Route is HERE

Day 3 around Ypres is a brute in comparison with a whole 480m of ascent and a highpoint of 156m but with no luggage all will be fine.

I am aware that I am likely to be going against the prevailing wind but as I say, I have plenty of time for the distances so I am happy to stop and refuel whenever I feel like it.

OD, I reckon your tour with them hills (even with all your gears) is much more Audacious than my little pootle around the flatlands and dams of the continent

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9334 on: 31 May, 2016, 11:43:05 am »
Compasses LG should tempt a few A&S riders out for a little spin...Soupy says no though, due to a job interview the following morning.  :( but also  :thumbsup:

I might try and intercept the Witham Cycling Peloton - route? [Presumably not via TMNH, but taking in the beetles and other Mid-Essex highlights?]

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9335 on: 31 May, 2016, 12:03:42 pm »
I might try and intercept the Witham Cycling Peloton - route? [Presumably not via TMNH, but taking in the beetles and other Mid-Essex highlights?]

Tomsk, here's the WC route for tomorrow evening.  Nicola Burrell's beetles are reserved for the return leg, hopefully it won't be to dark.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9336 on: 31 May, 2016, 05:19:09 pm »
^ Thanks OD - I reckon an intercept somewhere on Domsey or Drakes Lane...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9337 on: 31 May, 2016, 05:29:30 pm »
^ Thanks OD - I reckon an intercept somewhere on Domsey or Drakes Lane...

Excellent. 

I will be leading the group home well before closing time.  If any of the WC folks want to stay that's fine and they can make their own way back.  You can fill anyone that stays full of pickled eggs and tales of audacious larks  ;D

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9338 on: 31 May, 2016, 05:54:44 pm »
What time do you think you will arrive at Compasses Steve?
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9339 on: 31 May, 2016, 06:07:07 pm »
What time do you think you will arrive at Compasses Steve?

Between 9 and 9:30 depending on how many fings we have to deal with.  Past experience says this could be quite a lot.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #9340 on: 01 June, 2016, 09:37:31 am »
I'm in London this afternoon, but should be able to get back in time to ride with the mob.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9341 on: 06 June, 2016, 04:19:03 pm »
Wed 15th June happens to be national beer day apparently..... just saying ;)
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9342 on: 06 June, 2016, 04:30:37 pm »
I suggest we ride our bicycles to a pub.

« Reply #9343 on: 06 June, 2016, 04:48:28 pm »
Good idea.  We should do it every week.

You could call it the Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #9344 on: 06 June, 2016, 04:51:45 pm »
Sounds good, I'm in....sometimes. Maybe we should start a thread?

« Reply #9345 on: 06 June, 2016, 04:53:08 pm »
Would it be a bit early to suggest some sort of annual award be handed out, perhaps at an event just after Xmas ?
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9346 on: 06 June, 2016, 05:44:28 pm »
I've heard there are things called "long rides in the countryside" which others (mad people) do, perhaps we should invite some of the experts to one of these new Wednesday night things to talk to us about it, sounds crazy!  :o
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #9347 on: 08 June, 2016, 04:46:04 pm »
So should we crazily meet at 7:30 at a roundabout in Witham tonight and see how it goes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oscar's dad

« Reply #9348 on: 08 June, 2016, 04:51:07 pm »
So should we crazily meet at 7:30 at a roundabout in Witham tonight and see how it goes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #9349 on: 09 June, 2016, 10:13:56 pm »
Wed 15th June happens to be national beer day apparently..... just saying ;)

The Swan, Little Totham Beer Festival on next week.... probably my anniversary of MEMWNS as well I suspect...
Regards,

Joergen