Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1754592 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #10800 on: 24 May, 2017, 06:52:09 pm »
I thought the Portsmouth lot did an uphill event on the same day too, but as a leveller, rather than be first up to the top, you had to state a time to ascend, and the person closest to their nominated time was the winner. Obviously no watches, electronics allowed.

Good idea!  Noted!

« Reply #10801 on: 24 May, 2017, 07:02:58 pm »
That does sound like a good idea.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #10802 on: 25 May, 2017, 08:57:13 am »
It's been rather quiet. I hope that after all the hype the event last night didn't go downhill.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10803 on: 25 May, 2017, 08:58:54 am »
We all survived!  Much fun had.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #10804 on: 25 May, 2017, 12:37:37 pm »
And here are the official results - in reverse order:

OD               10 yards before dog poo bin (hereafter known as DPB)
Giles            DPB and then off on a frolic towards Chelmsford (towpath yards don't count)
Huggy         10 yards before the middle of the bridge (and approx 5 yards after DPB)
Jan              Middle of the bridge (but just before it goes downhill again  :()
Tomsk         10 yards before Telegraph pole 1 (hereafter known as TP1)
AndyC33     Puddle on the corner, midway between TP1 and TP2
James         TP2 (exactly)
Oaky           TP2 + 1 yard (it was the vortex shedding moustache that did it)
Ian(BFC)      Midway between TP2 and the National Speed Limit Sign (NSLS)
Tippers       15 yards before NSLS (which is further than midway between TP2 and NSLS)

The units of measurement and location identifiers are totally clear and unambiguous (provided you were there  ;D)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10805 on: 25 May, 2017, 05:51:30 pm »
Wow - The NSL sign is well round the corner and heading upwards again! well done!
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10806 on: 25 May, 2017, 06:06:00 pm »
We did nominate a scribe to provide extra colour to Caroline's results table so I'm sure the colour will be along shortly.

Suffice to say the event went brilliantly so thank you to everyone who took part and to Caroline who found herself sprinting after a couple of freewheelers who seemed intent on making it to Hatfield Peverell!

There are loads of photos on my Facebook feed, if we're not already "friends" feel free to send me a request.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #10807 on: 25 May, 2017, 07:09:43 pm »
Really glad I could make it and had great fun, that was a super effort from Tippers......! Chapeau

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #10808 on: 25 May, 2017, 11:20:21 pm »
There was much trepidation as Wednesday night came around as a result of the preparation that had gone into the first North Hill Freewheeling Challenge.  The process started with RULES being drawn up during the previous week’s training run which must of meant that it was being taken serious.  There had been evidence of recce parties at the weekend, test runs by a number of people (as it was my commute I reckon that isn't  practice) and working out whether weight or aerodynamics mattered most. 

All of which added to be the most amount of FORWARD PLANNING I have ever seen by the group. 

The biggest give away was we hadn't decided on a pub until the day of the event!

The rendezvous was at Paper Mill Lock bridge, which for those of you who know The Mighty North Hill understand it is at the BOTTOM of the hill, and at 8pm the café was shut :-(  For those of who live at the top of the hill, and as the game was top roll DOWN the hill it meant yet another ascent that day.
The group of ACME cyclists grew from the designated time with BFC arriving on a full aero bike, aero suit and hat.

The Retiree arrived on something that would only just make the UCI weight limit and most of us on “normal bikes”.  We all paled in insignificance when Huggy rolled up on a brand new, two tone lime green “bish bash bosh” which justifiably generated a lot of talk, as well as necessitating the donning of sunnies to tone down the brightness. 

Oscar’s Dad arrived with a fully laden bike comprising of beer, adjudicators seat, silly hats filling two panniers and a saddle bag.  The weight factor was being taken serious, but the socks and sandals made a different statement. 

With Caroline setup by the bridge to record where we rolled to a halt the group began the ascent of TMNH.

Ten minutes later the group arrived at the village green at the top of the hill where zip ties were deployed to ensure there was no mechanical doping in this freewheel challenge. 

And then we were off! 

With a couple of minutes between each we paddled to the start and then push off and sat tight!  The hill lasts for 0.9 miles according to Strava, but that is going up, going down is much further.

My video of the descent is here

https://youtu.be/9rDwZ7hNz0k

Caroline had to run for yards to keep up with the big descenders with Tippers-Kiwi being the winner for distance.

Oscar’s Dad, our illustrious organiser came last, but he did leave the panniers and saddle bag on the bridge ☹
So after a the last descent, some tried a second run (but that also meant a second climb).
As 9:00pm approached it was beer time so we all moved halfway up the hill to the Rodney for the official ceremony and a few beers.

Congratulation to Nik for winning the inaugural event, and buying us all a beer.

Here's to the second event.

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10809 on: 26 May, 2017, 06:13:00 am »
Splendid, and very well done, ted the Bard has a worthy apprentice! 

You've even managed some feats that have so far escaped ted, he might take a dodgy photo but he really must raise his game by mis-spelling the odd name and even getting some member's names completely wrong - mind you there is a long tradition of folks mis-naming other folks.  Anyhow, if ted can't build these elements into his next ride report he could well loose the job of Offical Bard to you GS!

Once again well done sir  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10810 on: 30 May, 2017, 04:54:32 am »
This week FORWARD PLANNING offers a new experience, one suggested by ted, inspired by one of his daughters who a few months ago moved in next door to THE ENDEAVOUR, in Chelmsford's Springfield.  ted's lovely daughter described The Endeavour as an "old man's pub" which sounds right up our street - 351 Springfield Green to be precise. 

Should this proposal get past the jury here is a ROUTE which the Witham peloton might like to follow.

Love un stuff as always  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #10811 on: 30 May, 2017, 08:15:36 am »
I haven't heard back from 'our' Indian re: Asparagus & Strawberries or Wednesday evening...We'll stick with Forward Planning though :thumbsup:

I will have A&S brevets, for Huggy; 120 of them.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10812 on: 30 May, 2017, 08:56:52 am »
This week FORWARD PLANNING offers a new experience, one suggested by ted, inspired by one of his daughters who a few months ago moved in next door to THE ENDEAVOUR, in Chelmsford's Springfield.  ted's lovely daughter described The Endeavour as an "old man's pub" which sounds right up our street - 351 Springfield Green to be precise. 

Should this proposal get past the jury here is a ROUTE which the Witham peloton might like to follow.

Might I suggest going via Sandford Mill rather than the horror of Baddow Road & Army & Navy RBT ?
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10813 on: 30 May, 2017, 09:02:44 am »

Might I suggest going via Sandford Mill rather than the horror of Baddow Road & Army & Navy RBT ?

I suggest you meet us en route and show us the way native guide styleeeee.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10814 on: 30 May, 2017, 09:24:56 am »
I'm hoping to be out, but I am in London so might be a problem to do that! :)
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10815 on: 30 May, 2017, 06:33:06 pm »
By the way, as I may have moaned about in the past, we need a MEMWNS jersey.  I am trying to persuade my niece who has just earned a distinction in her graphic design foundation course (she starts her degree next year) to accept the commission. I will keep you posted ...

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10816 on: 30 May, 2017, 07:28:32 pm »
Bumped into Ed Knight in town today, he might join us tomorrow night! :)
Regards,

Joergen

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #10817 on: 30 May, 2017, 08:06:27 pm »
Having ridden past the Endeavour on the way into work this afternoon (on the TT bike with a tail wind), and had a look at all three sides of it's plot on Google  street view, the bicycle parking options are limited with no obvious bike anchors.

A bit of creative parking will be necessary I suspect.

« Reply #10818 on: 30 May, 2017, 09:57:48 pm »
Number 1 daughter reports there is no beer garden.  Just the railings in front of her place. Another venue might be better.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10819 on: 30 May, 2017, 10:11:27 pm »
Number 1 daughter reports there is no beer garden.  Just the railings in front of her place. Another venue might be better.

What?  We're doing this for you!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10820 on: 30 May, 2017, 10:24:29 pm »

What?  We're doing this for you!
Hmmmmm.... Plenty of cycle parking outside Railway Tavern or Ale House?
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10821 on: 31 May, 2017, 06:03:34 am »
Let's make it up as we go along.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10822 on: 31 May, 2017, 07:11:00 am »
That's fine if there isn't anyone planning to meet us at the pub......
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10823 on: 31 May, 2017, 08:01:51 am »
That's fine if there isn't anyone planning to meet us at the pub......

Well how about The Railway then?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #10824 on: 31 May, 2017, 09:38:52 am »
Fine with me plenty of bike racks directly outside, just need to get back from London at a decent time and sort out a loop out and back...
Regards,

Joergen