Author Topic: Secure Public Cycle Parks  (Read 30759 times)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Secure Public Cycle Parks
« on: 04 November, 2012, 10:04:26 am »
It seemed like a good idea to start a thread listing known secure public cycle parking. So I have.

Date
 Nov. 2012
Where
 Wharf Green central Swindon. 
Name   
 Brunel Cycle Park.
Facilities
 Swipe card secured. Approx 100 spaces. No lockers. Sheffield stands. Covered.
 No staff. CCTV surveillance.
 Requires one off advance purchase of swipe card (was GBP10 in 2012).
 Swipe card has no expiry date but is deactivated after 12 months since last use.

Further details

Application form

URL last updated 20151105
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Re: Secure Public Cycle Parks
« Reply #1 on: 04 November, 2012, 11:27:25 am »
Wolverhampton Civic Centre

Has about 10 lockable bike boxes with hasps. Provide your own padlock.

Also covered by CCTV
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2012, 07:04:51 pm »
Leicester
City Centre - Town Hall Square
Staffed
Open approx 8-6 Mon-Sat
Small charge; luggage storage & showers
Shop
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3 on: 03 July, 2014, 08:30:17 pm »
Swindon.  New.
 Fleming Way Car Park (Islington Street) access via Gorden Gardens.
 See contact links in post about Brunel parking above.

Notes:
Fleming Way has an "airlock" entry to prevent tailgating (has been a problem at Brunel) which means it's not suitable for tandems or uncoupled bikes with trailers and groups will have to enter one at a time.

Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 03 July, 2014, 11:02:20 pm »
ISTR that Ipswich Station has quite a few lockable metal bike boxes on one of the platforms.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #5 on: 03 July, 2014, 11:26:28 pm »
Liverpool city centre:

Central Station - within the station concourse.

Liverpool One - access between John Lewis & Hilton Hotel. Swipe card entry and exit (card cost £1.00 plus ID). 24hr staffed, Intercom, CCTV etc.
instagram / twitter: @bluemcardle

« Reply #6 on: 02 March, 2017, 06:33:51 pm »
Perhaps relevant to this thread where I live in Southwark (London) they have started installing large lockable structures in residential areas that are quite useful. Each structure looks something like half a small tube and contains five or six bikes.  Residents have to sign up for a key to use it. 

See here for info:  https://southwarkcyclists.org.uk/cycle-parking-guide/

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #7 on: 02 March, 2017, 08:04:12 pm »
Hull Paragon Interchange... used to be a railway station. Placeholder - I'll fill in the details asap.

Staffed 9am to 5pm, CCTV, and swipe card for access up to 11:45pm when the station is locked up. £1 for 24hrs. Friendly staff. Repair station with track pump and toolkit. ... More details to follow

[Edit: Thanks rachel t for the link... Below...]

No longer.
:(

« Reply #8 on: 02 March, 2017, 09:22:41 pm »
Hull Paragon Interchange... used to be a railway station. Placeholder - I'll fill in the details asap.

Staffed 9am to 5pm, CCTV, and swipe card for access up to 11:45pm when the station is locked up. £1 for 24hrs. Friendly staff. Repair station with track pump and toolkit. ... More details to follow.

website https://hullcyclehub.co.uk/

« Reply #9 on: 07 March, 2017, 04:45:56 pm »
Cambridge, under the Grand Arcade shopping centre (on Corn Exchange street).  At the back of the public racks is a manned bike store attached to the shop where they store your bike and give you a token, 2.5 quid a time. 

« Reply #10 on: 08 September, 2017, 11:13:45 am »
It is with much regret that HULL CYCLE HUB will cease trading at the end of September 2017 due to financial constraints and lack of funding, as well as keeping our charges low. We are still working hard to try and identify funders in order to continue with the services we currently offer.
  from https://hullcyclehub.co.uk/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 08 September, 2017, 02:58:14 pm »
Various parts of Nottingham:  http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/transport-parking-and-streets/rights-of-way-walking-and-cycling/citycard-cycles/citycard-cycle-hubs/

You need a card to access them, but you don't have to be a Nottingham resident to obtain one.

« Reply #12 on: 31 January, 2018, 03:52:37 pm »
Media City in Salford. Unfortunately it's £10 per month but this gives access to other TfGM hubs except for the centre of Mcr one. For £20pm you get locker/shower. It's swipe card, 2 levels of bike storage and security regularly patrol thro' the hub. Has a floor pump (not working) and a bike stand and tools eg allen keys/tyre lever cable attached to the stand.

« Reply #13 on: 20 August, 2021, 07:51:18 pm »
I know it's an old thread and probably an incomplete list, I'll add this anyway.

New facility in Derby, within a Parksafe car park, key card access to the building, same card into a cage for probably 40 bikes, open and staffed 24/7, toilets, drinks machine, rest area, use of a track pump. It's not the perfect location, but it's a popular car park for the security.
Standard membership £15 a month
Premium membership £30 a month
There's no PAYG

The premium gets a locker and use of a tool kit (Which I haven't seen and have no use for) I'd like a locker but not for double the price.  It's a new venture and they're keen on feedback, so...

I signed up when it opened a couple of weeks ago, no ongoing contract.  The evening parking appeals to me, if I don't want to leave a bike in town I'll use the bus which is £4.40, I've used it three times and was also happy to leave a bike parked there overnight.  It's not perfect, it's a good start and I shall probably continue using it.

https://www.derby.gov.uk/transport-and-streets/parking-in-derby/cycle-scheme/

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #14 on: 03 April, 2022, 01:29:50 pm »
Worcester - Crowngate Shopping Centre.

Spotted this yesterday. Couple of former retail units just inside the shopping centre doors, so it's indoors, warm, dry, lit, CCTV, etc. Sheff stands and a fixed-down bike pump, at least.

https://www.visitworcester.co.uk/cycle-storage-in-crowngate/

« Reply #15 on: 01 July, 2022, 07:43:04 pm »
New one for Derby, in an unused retail unit in the busiest area of the city, 24/7 access, CCTV, E-bike charging.
I've bought a month's access for £10 but not used it yet.
https://www.derbion.com/derbion-cycle-hub/?fbclid=IwAR3_qES579hOrJUdEhhkoiY0IwBD4oXGnx_5Apd7WODY3XOVxUzHZ1E9B18