Author Topic: OT; Long Distance Walks  (Read 5489 times)

Re: OT; Long Distance Walks
« Reply #25 on: 22 March, 2020, 09:47:59 pm »
Kit? I recall them talking about the new wonder that was Goretex.

Yeh, I did the Like Wake in my school shoss (don't think I had anything else bar some plimsolls, wellies and football boots, jeans and a cagoule circa 1978 or so.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Martin

« Reply #26 on: 22 March, 2020, 09:49:04 pm »
I've done very little of the South Downs Way on foot but the whole thing on bike in a day (bloody hard, did my first 600 the week before this was harder)

Trying to explore all the others locally at the moment; the Mid Sussex Link looks good although that's likely to be a bivi weekend in the summer

Phil W

« Reply #27 on: 22 March, 2020, 10:34:21 pm »
Kit? I recall them talking about the new wonder that was Goretex.

Goretex, been around 44 years this year. How time flies...

« Reply #28 on: 23 March, 2020, 10:23:33 am »
There's a new right-of-way over the hill we can see from the front windows.  So we had a good, hilly, solitary, 13k circular walk from the front door on Saturday. 

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #29 on: 23 March, 2020, 01:42:58 pm »
This post has got me thinking about walking/ jogging again. In 1986 I walked the South Downs Way , then 80 miles, from Petersfield to Eastbourne, in 24 hours, 

On Saturday I was part of a small group doing a sponsored walk of 24 miles (socially-distanced, of course) along the Thames to Richmond, around Richmond Park, and back to Tolworth. Sadly lots of groups of friends walking and cycling not socially distancing... First long walk for many years, and legs stiff and stairs are still difficult to negotiate today!

I will buy probably proper walking and also jogging trainers once the crisis has passed.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #30 on: 26 March, 2020, 07:25:57 pm »
Belatedly checking in to YACF! I’ve walked the LDWA Hundred 7 times over the years, but none of them were anything like as hard to me as my only 600k Audax (3 coasts, completed in 39:55 about 15 years ago).
Mind you, I count myself as a walker who sometimes cycles. Doing either is tough at the moment, but the sun is shining so life could be worse - keep safe everyone.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
« Reply #31 on: 13 March, 2021, 04:05:44 pm »
with no AUK rides and enforced NHS leave (Crap on Carers) I've been busy this year. Completed the West Sussex Border Path and done various other local ones. All C-19 legit

Everyone else and his dog(s) seem to have had the same idea; in the undrainable Wealden clay I need some of those walking boots cum wellies  :-\ some of the narrow paths between high fences are still up to 12" underwater

« Reply #32 on: 13 March, 2021, 04:32:03 pm »
Our mountaineering club walked the Hertfordshire Way in under 48 hours elapsed (the time limit we set).  It’s about 170 miles and we did it as a relay of teams of two.  This is quite a few years back, more than a decade ago.  Walking through fields of wheat at night with the summer heat still rising from the ground. Did it a couple of years in a row then the chairman changed and it wasn’t organised again.

« Reply #33 on: 13 March, 2021, 06:05:11 pm »
Our mountaineering club walked the Hertfordshire Way

A mountaineering club in Hertfordshire? That's like having a bobsleigh team based in Jamaica ... oh wait a sec ...

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #34 on: 13 March, 2021, 06:10:18 pm »
Our mountaineering club walked the Hertfordshire Way

A mountaineering club in Hertfordshire? That's like having a bobsleigh team based in Jamaica ... oh wait a sec ...

Well you see. If you lived in the mountains you wouldn’t need a club. You’d just pop out your back door.  Where as if you don’t live right by the mountains then having a club or organise trips to them works very well.

We have had some good climbing trips to the Alps, Dolomites, Himalayas, Yosemite, Morocco, Norway and numerous other places over the years. Plus of course trips throughout the UK and Ireland including the annual new year winter climbing trip to Scotland.

« Reply #35 on: 13 March, 2021, 11:02:11 pm »
Audax, i.e. the REAL thing via UAF have group walks @ 6kph with the same structure as a cycling brevet.  The awards parallel cycling with bronze, silver and gold eagles for completing a combination of distances from 25km to 100km.  There is even a 100km walk that includes Ventaux. 

Within UAF there is much kudos for completing a Aigle d'or cycling and Aigle d'or marche.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #36 on: 14 March, 2021, 07:30:18 pm »
We have had some good climbing trips to the Alps, Dolomites, Himalayas, Yosemite, Morocco, Norway and numerous other places over the years. Plus of course trips throughout the UK and Ireland including the annual new year winter climbing trip to Scotland.
The Tunbridge Wells Mountaineering Club was graced by my membership for several years. When others took the mickey I'd point out that yes, it was true there weren't many mountains in Tunbridge Wells, and that's why only one person from the town had ever climbed K2 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_Tullis. That generally shut 'em up.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.