Author Topic: The Pompino Thread  (Read 77912 times)

Re: The Pompino Thread
« Reply #125 on: 05 May, 2017, 11:10:37 pm »
The smaller frames do have toe-overlap issues; Deano OTP at least, has overcome this with cunning.
I cunningly ignore the overlap on mine, but we've done that debate before.

I've got some toe overlap on my Dave Yates. It's fine.

The amount on the Pomp with 700c wheels was preposterous. In fact, there is still some overlap with the 26" wheel.

« Reply #126 on: 06 May, 2017, 08:22:33 am »
I'm sure you've all done it...I just made a terrible error while carrying out a google image search.  All I was interested in was seat post colour.

Yes, I managed to set of the alarms on the company's internal chat on the cycling board. It's a very cosmopolitan office so they've imported the rude words dictionaries from many languages. Oops.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #127 on: 06 May, 2017, 10:01:47 am »
To be honest that was the only thing that put me off mine. I was disappointed when somewhere (this thread?) told me about it. I'm hoping not to meet any non-cyclist who knows what it means, as I'll either get laughed at or give the wrong impression.

Maybe a respray some time, but I do like the green :-\

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
« Reply #128 on: 24 May, 2017, 08:13:49 pm »
To be honest that was the only thing that put me off mine. I was disappointed when somewhere (this thread?) told me about it. I'm hoping not to meet any non-cyclist who knows what it means, as I'll either get laughed at or give the wrong impression.

Not sure if you are referring to blow jobs or toe overlap ;)
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #129 on: 24 May, 2017, 10:38:08 pm »
I have a Pomp now.

« Reply #130 on: 24 May, 2017, 11:29:05 pm »
Mr Ben - I was replying to Pickled Onion. I have never had an issue with toe overlap on mine. I like everything about the bike except the name. I was disappointed when I found out about that, and would not have bought it had I known in advance. It's just not me to ride about on a bike with that name. Fortunately, I don't seem to know anyone who speaks Italian.

Sorry if others disagree but it's usual, in anything but a niche product, to avoid offending a segment of your market.

I tend to get my frames resprayed when they need it, and to have the transfers put back. There will be some (in)discreet omissions with this one.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #131 on: 24 May, 2017, 11:43:28 pm »
I know you drossall and I know just enough Italian to know what it means.

I'm even childish enough to enjoy the fact that an ex-priest I know rides one and likes it a lot. Hopefully he'll continue to not know what it means.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #132 on: 24 May, 2017, 11:57:11 pm »
I know you drossall and I know just enough Italian to know what it means.
Last time I ride it when you're around then ;)

Even though yours is almost exactly the same, even down to colour, except for being several frame sizes bigger :)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #133 on: 30 June, 2017, 08:58:50 am »
Hello, I'm loving my Pomp.  I have just invested a tenner in a Dicta freewheel so I can see what single speed is like.  But before I install it on the other side of the hub has anyone any idea how I get it off should I ever want to?

« Reply #134 on: 30 June, 2017, 09:12:42 am »
Hello, I'm loving my Pomp.  I have just invested a tenner in a Dicta freewheel so I can see what single speed is like.  But before I install it on the other side of the hub has anyone any idea how I get it off should I ever want to?

Use it to phone like everyone else. Especially on this thread.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #135 on: 30 June, 2017, 10:10:17 am »

Use it to phone like everyone else. Especially on this thread.

[Groan]  ::-) ;D

« Reply #136 on: 30 June, 2017, 10:16:36 am »
Big hammer. Worked for mine. ;D Quite satisfying with bearings flying everywhere!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #137 on: 30 June, 2017, 10:30:55 am »
Ah, so destructive methods only?  I thought as much.

I'm not too bothered, I bought the bike as a whole for 500 quid from Planet X and whilst I think the general quality is fine I can see me upgrading the rear wheel at some point although it's okay for now. The front wheel which came with the bike has never been used as it was substituted for a wheel with a dynohub I already had.

« Reply #138 on: 30 June, 2017, 11:36:01 am »
If your Dicta freewheel is like my Shimano freewheel a "C" spanner should do it.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #139 on: 30 June, 2017, 11:54:34 am »
If your Dicta freewheel is like my Shimano freewheel a "C" spanner should do it.

Don't think so.  There are no slots or anything.  There are a couple of shallow holes on the ball race cover but I gather they are there to facilitate the removal of said cover to expose the balls.  Further web research indicates these freewheels are cheap and cheerful and removing them is a pain in the arse probably involving violence.  Like I said earlier I'm not that bothered.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #140 on: 30 June, 2017, 12:00:44 pm »

Don't think so.  There are no slots or anything.  There are a couple of shallow holes on the ball race cover but I gather they are there to facilitate the removal of said cover to expose the balls.  Further web research indicates these freewheels are cheap and cheerful and removing them is a pain in the arse probably involving violence.  Like I said earlier I'm not that bothered.

Have you fitted it yet?

I have a couple of essentially unused ones (which are removeable) knocking round the garage (16t no-name or 18t Shimano) you can have if you like.  I also have the tools to remove them with.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #141 on: 30 June, 2017, 01:23:34 pm »

I don't know? Firstly we get Italian to English translations of 'Pompino' and now we're removing covers to expose balls! Whatever next?  :o

Oscar's dad

« Reply #142 on: 30 June, 2017, 02:51:21 pm »
You've just got a dirty mind Windy.  It probably comes from living on some sort of rocky outcrop floating off the coast of Scotland with nothing to think except impure thoughts - we feel for you mate!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #143 on: 30 June, 2017, 06:28:21 pm »

Try it. After it's been on for three Winters. See you in A&E.

The remover you need is generally described as 'SunTour/BMX', needs a gert big spanner and probably a mallet.

OD the freewheel you describe is definitely at the cheap end of the market. Essentially disposable, the only reliable method I have found is to crush the cog in the bench vice until it stops freewheeling then turn the wheel to undo it or drive the dot punch mark around with a sharp chisel until the thing falls apart and you can trap the innards in the vice . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #144 on: 09 July, 2017, 07:01:57 pm »
Im after a medium if you know one for sale? Im based in Cumbria, willing to travel locally or pay for postage.

« Reply #145 on: 12 July, 2017, 04:37:31 pm »
Now the happy owner of a Pompino :)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #146 on: 12 July, 2017, 04:47:57 pm »
BJ my new Pomp ...

« Reply #147 on: 12 July, 2017, 04:51:02 pm »
BJ my new Pomp ...

Suddenly, a Pompino looks a lot more nickable than past iterations of it have.....
Nice bike S.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #148 on: 12 July, 2017, 04:59:03 pm »
Thank you  :-*

I love the finish, described by Planet X as "raw".  Basically its just a clear lacquer so you can see all the brazing ...

I'm enjoying BJ and he rides really nicely.  At the moment he's in singlespeed mode.

At some point I will get a new rear wheel so it matches the Open Pro front; the original is now surplus to requirement as I used a front wheel with a dynohub from a previous machine.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #149 on: 27 July, 2017, 07:50:00 am »
BJ my new Pomp ...

verrrry nice,  what size is that, L or XL, I'm guessing your 6'1"" ish.  Did you buy it complete, or build it up. ?

ps...go on.....guess why I'm asking!     ::-) ;)