Author Topic: Grand Prix 5000s - How's everyone getting on with them?  (Read 1488 times)

Grand Prix 5000s - How's everyone getting on with them?
« on: 01 October, 2019, 03:08:02 am »
The GP 4000S II has been my audax tyre of choice for the last few years. I really rate 'em.

I need to replace my tyres and as they're now unobtainable here in Canada, I'm thinking of getting the 5000s.

Initial reports suggested they're not as durable as their predecessors; is this true? How's everyone getting on with them? How does the tubeless version compare to the non-tubeless?

There's probably a thread on this already but the search function suuuucks.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Grand Prix 5000s - How's everyone getting on with them?
« Reply #1 on: 01 October, 2019, 09:10:06 am »
I've had some on the best bike for a while.  They are tubeless, 25mm version.  I am running them at 80psi

Had a sidewall puncture (that didn't seal properly, probably due to high pressure) last night.  That was the only noticeable puncture

The feel of the tyres is pretty much how I'd expect.  They are a racing tyre, slightly heavier than some but really flexible (read: comfy), grippy and fast

Dunno how many miles I've done, the bike was out of order for PBP but the tires did a 300km in July

I have not previously been a gp4000 user. 

Might try the GP5000 28mm (or larger? is there a 32mm version?) at some point

I bought the tyres from here https://www.deporvillage.net/continental-grand-prix-5000-folding-road-tyre-black as they were a few months ago a lot cheaper than other sources.  Seems to have evened out now, there's more people offering them at around £37 sterling*

* sorry missed the "here in Canada", no ideas on tyre suppliers in Canada!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 01 October, 2019, 10:43:42 am »

I've been using them since early summer. I'm on the 32mm version. They've been fantastic. Not had any flats on them, but that's probably as I've not taken them to Denmark*. I've done a few thousand km on them, and they are still going strong. I run them at 5 bar.

I'm not looking forward to the swap onto 28mm GP 4 seasons in a month or so. (these too will be replaced by a 32mm set once they are worn through).

J

*Using GP4k on the road to Hell, I had 9 flats in 600km of Denmark and Sweden, all flints.
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #3 on: 01 October, 2019, 12:00:24 pm »
The TT bike has been running one existing GP4k and one new GP5k this season, due to one of the older tyres getting shredded.  The 5k lasted for a summer's worth of racing and training and has had no punctures.  It feels thinner than the 4k when you put it on but as I said, no fairy visits yet.  Apart from that it's a fast racing tyre.  It hasn't skidded out and I appear to be able to move at a reasonable speed.

« Reply #4 on: 01 October, 2019, 12:49:34 pm »
one of my chums has been running GP5000s this year, having been running GP4000s previously.  Thus far there is little apparent difference in the tyres in terms of weight or robustness. The 5000s might be a shade faster, but as usual, outside the lab, its very difficult to do a 'clean' experiment that clearly demonstrates this.

cheers

« Reply #5 on: 09 October, 2019, 03:22:33 pm »
Cut the sidewall of my tubeless 32mm GP5000 halfway into the TCR, somewhere in the Dolomites, couldn't get it to seal even with plugs, stupidly forgot to pack any tubeless patches, continued with a tube but couldn't get the bead to seat fully. After two punctures and fed up with the uneven ride ended up buying another tyre in France and binning it.

Up until that point, having ridden on and off road across Eastern Europe, couldn't really fault them so I'm in two minds - maybe was just unlucky and with such a light tyre I guess you just have to accept the likelihood of this happening. What's great about them is (without a tube!) I could get them to seal/seat with just a high volume hand pump so possible to do this on the road (which I did after also trying to patch it with an innertube kit) - ditching HP pumps and the ridiculous amount of strokes required is one of the best things about moving away from narrow tyres.

So I will probably give them another go, but not before I've used up my S-Ones and anything else i have left that will fit under mudguards this winter.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo