Author Topic: GPS Garmin 1000 Distance to go error  (Read 1438 times)

GPS Garmin 1000 Distance to go error
« on: 19 March, 2017, 08:24:59 am »
Hi

Recently upgraded from Garmin 800 to 1000. Had to do the usual tinkering to get the 800 setup for basic data captureand navigation set up, once that was done it's never caused a problem.

Same as such for the 1000 except the Course Distance to go value is odd. I upload as route from ridewithgps and the the details all look, load the route and all the numbers look good. On some rides the distance to go jumps to  a much higher seeming random number.

The device see's the course I'm on and gives the distance to next correctly, on some rides the number will suddenly jump to the right value.

Any ideas appreciated, not the end of the world as i can work out the distance to go in my head but i do like to see that number reducing on the longer rides.

Regards

Rob

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: GPS Garmin 1000 Distance to go error
« Reply #1 on: 19 March, 2017, 09:56:04 am »
My experience with Edge 1000 is the Garmin tbt tries to navigate the route and the dist to go goes nuts. 

I have the tbt navigation turned off on mine and use TCX files which give me a nice route sheet on the garmin with distance to next turn (or if I've added any additional cue prompts, to that, eg Food or Danger) plus dist to the end.  I tend to set the notification distance to 250m (rather than the default rwgps 30m) as it gives you a bit more notice for say if you are in a busy place or descending.
Regards,

Joergen

dim

« Reply #2 on: 19 March, 2017, 02:55:12 pm »
My Edge 1000 turned off 3 times yesterday on a short route .... I'm still usng version 10 software, version 12 is available to download, but I will wait for others to test the new software version first

Not a major problem, as when you switch the unit back on, you still have all the info (you don't loose any info of your ride)

I have noted that it always shuts off straight after a turn, so maybe it's something to do with the way I created the route in RideWithGps?

I have the Garnin Varia Radar, the heartstrap, the cadence sensor and speed sensor connected.

here is the link to the Garmin Edge 1000 forum:

https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?464-Edge-1000

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3 on: 19 March, 2017, 05:27:10 pm »
I bought a new 1000 as a result of it rebooting and loosing the track - not good on DIY! The new replacement would sometimes reboot almost at the end of a route, but wouldn't lose the track it was recording.  I noticed something in the change log for V12 showing it addresses some rebooting issues. 

"Fixed shutdowns during navigation."
Regards,

Joergen