Author Topic: Gamrin Fenix 2 won't start properly  (Read 1612 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Gamrin Fenix 2 won't start properly
« on: 03 June, 2019, 03:59:53 pm »
Twice now I've tried to send workouts from my phone by bluetooth adn strange things have happened.  First time I thought it was something I did, now I'm not so sure.

I've gone through several iterations of the reset sequence - hold on/off button for about 30 secs, then press it for a couple of secs. Looks like it's restarting, but with a funny box on the screen with a number in it, and then it turns off again.

Any ideas? Or failing that, any suggestions for a replacement multisport device?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Gamrin Fenix 2 won't start properly
« Reply #1 on: 06 June, 2019, 04:09:40 pm »
Try plugging it into a computer, and do a firmware update? Using the Garmin Webupdater software.

Or it could be a corrupted activity or workout file. So it is crashing when it tries to load it. Look in the Garmin folder, then Activities or NewFiles folders etc. Then delete any files from there.

Or try a hard reset. Instructions here. https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=vDZYHLmNsH0FEw11w2G2X6

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2 on: 06 June, 2019, 10:52:26 pm »
My Fenix 2 stopped working with the Bluetooth uploads about a year after I got it. I've tried to get it to work on a few occasions since usually after an update but there hasn't been any system updates for a long time so I haven't bothered.

There's various other bits of weird s#!t it does that a reset doesn't fix like constantly have a failed activity FIT file running even if I remove it.

ElyDave

« Reply #3 on: 07 June, 2019, 07:17:06 am »
thanks, I think there may be a failed .fit file as I remember it doing its thing of battery failing mid run a few weeks ago, and then deciding it was part of the swim I did previously that normally buggers things up.  it was the first time I'd tried blue-toothing to it so I assumed that was the problem. I'll synch it and then delete all history

it should all be fully updated though Garmin express. tbh I'm surprised its still going given its age, but I'm in no hurry to splash out on a replacement

ElyDave

« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2019, 08:18:05 pm »
Right,

Now turning on/off ok and recording stuff
deleted all history files, but still playing up on synch. I'm getting a warning of a corrupt current.gpx file.  If I go in and delete it, it disappears OK, but then when I reconnect I'm getting the same mesage

So = confused.
May result in a call to Garmin, which I always dread.