Author Topic: Integrated induction hob.  (Read 2307 times)

Integrated induction hob.
« on: 01 January, 2024, 06:12:25 pm »
As I mentioned elsewhere my stepson and his husband have had a full house makeover, with the obligatory living/dining/kitchen area. It’s very nicely done. The husband, who is the principal cook opted for a touch control only induction hob with integral “suck-down” extraction, something like this…

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/eiq80indd/electriq-eiq80indd--4-induction-hob-hob?refsource=apadwords&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_id=17997676053&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqIjkzuK8gwMVTYtQBh33OgBrEAQYAiABEgILlfD_BwE

He admits the extraction is much worse than an overhead, but he preferred the aesthetic. I had two thoughts about that type of so perhaps there are users who can enlighten me;

Firstly I do on occasion let a pan boil over, often when on max power. This results in a significant spillage. As I have a free standing stove this is captured by the 4-5mm upstand around the edge allowing me to mop up. With a flush built-in induction hob I can only presume it just flows over & off the worktop?

And secondly, I assume the extractor would need coupling to a drain? - this hob is on an island with a sink on a unit against the wall behind the cook.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Integrated induction hob.
« Reply #1 on: 01 January, 2024, 06:17:44 pm »
Wow, that's ...bonkers the ventilation equivalent of a saniflo.

Presumably if it's on an island it won't be venting to Outside?  Which means it's basically a hole in your hob with a bonus fan to go wrong for little benefit?

If I were designing one of those, I'd include some sort of awkward condensation trap that the user can fail to clean the schmoo out of on a regular basis...

« Reply #2 on: 01 January, 2024, 06:22:04 pm »
I hadn’t thought of that, but yes, I assume it’s recirculating and using carbon filters. It’s daft, as it’s a flat roofed extension so could easily have vented outside.

ian

« Reply #3 on: 02 January, 2024, 08:50:05 pm »
We had a recirculating internal extractor hood in a flat once. It wasn't much good at anything other than making a noise and generating grubby filters. Rented flat, I guess the landlord didn't want to the expense of a hole in the wall.

That design looks mad though, given that steam and vaporized fat etc. go up, not down, so it would need to suck with some enthusiasm.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4 on: 02 January, 2024, 09:16:20 pm »
I'm not FISEing that  :hand:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 02 January, 2024, 09:28:52 pm »
Two of the advantages of an induction hob (we have one) are that things boil over much less frequently, and when they do, it's much easier to clean. You just wipe down the smooth surface and that's it. I've never known anything spill over or reach the edge, despite my habit of putting things on to boil and then wandering away. But a hole in the middle of the hob like that does seem like asking for trouble. And yes, recirculating extraction is basically a farce.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #6 on: 03 January, 2024, 08:45:52 am »
Two of the advantages of an induction hob (we have one) are that things boil over much less frequently, and when they do, it's much easier to clean. You just wipe down the smooth surface and that's it. I've never known anything spill over or reach the edge, despite my habit of putting things on to boil and then wandering away.

Hmmm, well putting mine on Turbo whilst simultaneoulsy draing something else in the sink opposite has seen some spectacular eruptions from saucepans. And yes it's easy to wipe clean but as I mentioned my cooker has a rim. Their hob (any all the others like it) are flush fitting. I guess they just have to be careful!

As for the cooker hood aesthetic, the room has two large raised roof lights.  They have been fitted with LED strips that can be made to change to any colour desired, but of course provide virtually no illumination, they're just for mood. Ugh.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 03 January, 2024, 10:14:17 am »
Gimme gas any time.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 03 January, 2024, 10:24:24 am »
You can't beat a good external extractor fan or hood.  Getting the steam out is as important as getting the smells out.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #9 on: 03 January, 2024, 11:47:20 am »
Gimme gas any time.

Yep, but when we got married my wife had spent a lifetime (having had an AGA at honme as a young person) cooking electric, so that's what we had - then I ended up doing nearly all the cooking. The induction hob was a compromise I guess, I like electric ovens but prefer gas hobs.

« Reply #10 on: 03 January, 2024, 11:49:43 am »
You can't beat a good external extractor fan or hood.  Getting the steam out is as important as getting the smells out.

Treu enough, but generally theres just the 2 of them, and it's a big room - 5m x 10m with a 3m ceiling - plus part of the refit was a steam oven (which, unlike the microwave and oven isn't a "connected device"..) so maybe there isn't too much ambient steam. I'd be more worried about aerosolised fat getting everywhere.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 03 January, 2024, 12:43:50 pm »
Gimme gas any time.

I used to think that, and then I discovered induction.

Of course with gas, the extraction is even more important.  Not that it stops you breathing the nasties, but it keeps the humidity down to manageable levels.  I've yet to see a gas hob with an integrated arsebackwards extractor fan...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12 on: 03 January, 2024, 05:52:32 pm »

I’ve long maintained that there are two kinds of people: those who prefer cooking on induction and those who haven’t tried it yet.

(Don’t @ me.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #13 on: 03 January, 2024, 06:42:14 pm »

I’ve long maintained that there are two kinds of people: those who prefer cooking on induction and those who haven’t tried it yet.

(Don’t @ me.)

I've used induction and I'm impressed that it is almost as responsive as gas ("Sufficiently" would be a more accommodating term) and it seemed that low settings appeared to have less of an issue with hot spots, so I have nothing against them as a genre.

But REALLY. Touch switches? As many seem to have. Whoever thought that was a good idea? Actually, whoever thought that was an ACEPTABLE idea? Apparently many manufacturers.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 03 January, 2024, 07:50:46 pm »
But REALLY. Touch switches? As many seem to have. Whoever thought that was a good idea? Actually, whoever thought that was an ACEPTABLE idea? Apparently many manufacturers.

They're cheap, wipe-clean and an accessibility nightmare.  And more reliable than knobs du fromage (which our current cooker suffers from).

In this particular context, where it's going to get splattered with sauce almost every time I use it, I'd personally consider that an acceptable trade-off.  But I hate touch interfaces in general, and fully support anyone who wants or needs their cooker to have proper knobs on, dammit.

ian

« Reply #15 on: 03 January, 2024, 08:28:43 pm »
I'm a gas-man through and through, but should I require a new hob, the induction cultists probably have me.

« Reply #16 on: 04 January, 2024, 12:27:05 pm »

They're cheap, wipe-clean and an accessibility nightmare.  And more reliable than knobs du fromage (which our current cooker suffers from).

In this particular context, where it's going to get splattered with sauce almost every time I use it, I'd personally consider that an acceptable trade-off.  But I hate touch interfaces in general, and fully support anyone who wants or needs their cooker to have proper knobs on, dammit.

Thing is, on my induction hob (with knob control as it's part of a cooker) moisture on the touch part of the controls (for power boost, global "off and run away", maybe some other suffs) stops it working and turns off the hod after it gives a few warning beeps.  And you can't beat a rotary control (out of the splash zone, not on the hob itself) for fast control ina "crumb's that's boiling a bit fast" moment.

One reason I like a free-standing cooker is it's a double oven with separate grill in the top one. I heartily dislike integrated ones with the grill in the top of the main oven. Fortunayely our tiny kitchen precludes in-built appliances.

citoyen

« Reply #17 on: 04 January, 2024, 12:44:45 pm »

Not a format-specific complaint though, is it? More of a general bad design complaint.

Ideally, I'd like the controls to be on an entirely separate panel to the cooking surface but I imagine if models exist with such a feature, they are likely very spendy.

To get back on topic, separate control panels would also be far more sensible and useful feature than an integrated extractor.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #18 on: 04 January, 2024, 01:03:47 pm »
Someone mentioned yesterday they were "between cookers" due to some breakdown, and that they were getting a gas hob because, among other considerations, if you have a gas hob and an electric oven (or vice versa) you can still cook in the event of a power cut or gas main shutdown. But not, of course, if both happen together in some sort of preppers' delight.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #19 on: 04 January, 2024, 01:11:19 pm »
That's certainly useful, but unless you get an  awful lot of power cuts[1] it doesn't seem worth the faff of a gas hob for the rest of the time.  You can plonk one of those cheap butane cartridge stoves on top of your inoperative induction hob just fine (unless of course it wobbles on the arsebackwards extractor vent).

[1] In which case you probably[2] want a gas oven too, so your partly-cooked roast doesn't get ruined.
[2] Assuming you're on the gas network.  Otherwise you're into LPG territory, and LPG ovens all seem to be a bit rubbish.

« Reply #20 on: 04 January, 2024, 01:39:34 pm »
We had a huge (took 4 standard supermarket pizzas on one shelf) oven and hob on the barge. All cooking was done on hob or that oven.

The oven was more than decent.

A 9kg bottle of gas lasted us about 3 months.

Cooking with gas really doesn't use much.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #21 on: 04 January, 2024, 01:47:55 pm »
That's certainly useful, but unless you get an  awful lot of power cuts[1] it doesn't seem worth the faff of a gas hob for the rest of the time.  You can plonk one of those cheap butane cartridge stoves on top of your inoperative induction hob just fine (unless of course it wobbles on the arsebackwards extractor vent).

[1] In which case you probably[2] want a gas oven too, so your partly-cooked roast doesn't get ruined.
[2] Assuming you're on the gas network.  Otherwise you're into LPG territory, and LPG ovens all seem to be a bit rubbish.

Or roasting over an open fire, like a Georgian feast.

« Reply #22 on: 04 January, 2024, 02:09:53 pm »

Not a format-specific complaint though, is it?

I'd argue it is, actually - it's part of the whole clean surface thing. To be clear, bad controls are not a uniquely induction thing, the Neff & Co "flameselect" thing : "LOOK WE'VE MADE A GAS HOB THAT JUMPS JUST LIKE AN ELECTRIC" is a case in point. And yes, while I can cook with the jumps natural to electric, I much prefer the infinitely adjustable gas.

« Reply #23 on: 04 January, 2024, 02:44:46 pm »
You can get a gas hob with touch controls if you really wanted...

And some touch controls are better than others. Some of just plus/minus buttons, which means it takes multiple presses to change power (with an annoying beep for each press). I've now got one with a slider type, so can just press any position on the line, to go straight to that level.
It goes from 1 to 14, which is enough levels for most things. And means you can repeat things with the same power level each time, instead of twiddling a knob to exactly the right place.

citoyen

« Reply #24 on: 04 January, 2024, 03:30:31 pm »
I'd argue it is, actually - it's part of the whole clean surface thing.

The "clean surface thing" is not an inherent or necessary feature of cooking with induction.