Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 231966 times)

ian

Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #1825 on: 20 April, 2023, 09:42:24 pm »
Had a terrible meal last night and as I was a guest and didn't want to make a fuss, I didn't, so I'm going to do here in the traditional British fashion, a dolorous post-match analysis to follow a 3-0 defeat. The starter was whisky-marinated salmon, which I thought would be thin slivers of salmon, but it was big flabby chunks, and if they'd been near whisky, their hangover was a week before and they'd become beacons to sobriety in the meantime. They sat there like beached cetaceans in a broth that was supposed to whisper something other than dead whales about Japan (they offered me chopsticks, why I don't know, actual Japan is a lot closer than that broth was). Ginger, after the first mouthful, I was. I'll take one for the team though.

The main would be better, slow-cooked beef, what can go wrong with slow-cooked beef? A lot, I discovered. I could write books about the subject now. On experimentally poking the first piece, my fork skittered off in stern rebuff into a pile of sauce (not the worst thing, if you've mixed wallpaper paste with despair and bisto and left it to self-recriminate for a week or two, you'd be there, a reduction of self-loathing). There were dabs of mustard that tasted merely of yellow and the two loneliest potatoes in the world (well, they were basically reconstructed potato balls) – those potato balls were by far the best thing in the meal, but there are atomic nuclei that are larger. There were two entire baby courgette but it's if you're trying to get excited about courgette, it's time to find a new hobby. But anyway, the meat, it's time to bring in the knife. Have you ever seen the adverts where they demonstrate chainsaw-proof Kevlar trousers (I have no idea why YouTube presents these to me, I do nothing online that would identify me as a lumberjack)? I may have been slow cooking wrong, but isn't the result supposed to be tender, to fall apart if I so much look at it sharply? This piece of beef had fight in it. This was a bar-room brawler. I was forced to saw it in half while trying not to look like I was trying to saw it in half. I had become the tabletop lumberjack. Finally halfed, with a resolution of Captain Oates, into my mouth I sent it.

Then I chewed. And chewed some more. Imagine if you tried to eat an armchair and yet it didn't taste nearly that good. An epic of chewing and then I had to do that thing and perfectly judge the social moment to spit it out unnoticed and deposit it on the floor. There was no dog to attempt to chew it further, had there been, I suspect it would have handed itself into Battersea and claimed asylum

Initially, I'd been disappointed with three pieces of beef, now looking at two, I was deluged in thick gravy of elation and despair. Only two. But still two. After a tentative poke to determine it too was stabproof, I nudged over to the side of the plate, but given the general sparsity of the meal, all I had was one baby courgette to hide it behind. Needs must. That left one piece that miraculously yielded to my fork in a manner that might have been close to intended. It was the only thing to save me from having to claim I'd turned vegetarian mid-meal. It was a tempting and enticingly miraculous conversion.

On the plus side, the wine was good, but I mostly drink Chateau Sainsbury out of a box so I set a low bar (I'm not bunging the extra two quid on a Waitrose box), and they did manage a decent negroni. I wouldn't have minded but the starter was £14 and the main £40. Had I been footing the bill, the chef would have needed a vest made out of that beef to save him for the wrath of my butter knife (the bread and butter were quite nice too, but really it would take a special effort to fuck that up).

I declined the dessert, it seemed too apt a way to declare myself a glutton for punishment. I have no idea what they did with that beef. Some kind of reverse wagyu? Was the beef cooked in 1899 and stored since then? Was the cow born in 1899 and only recently died? So many questions. The cheese sandwich that my growling stomach forced me to eat when I got home was ambrosia.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1826 on: 20 April, 2023, 10:06:57 pm »
I think this is why I never eat steak, I must have had too many meats like that as a child.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1827 on: 20 April, 2023, 11:43:30 pm »
That ^^^^, ian, needs to go on Tripadvisor as a stark warning.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1828 on: 21 April, 2023, 09:58:39 am »
I think Ian is using chatgpt to write reviews.

Salmon is an overrated fish.
There. I've said it.
I'm very partial to smoked salmon (although smoke trout is superior in every way). braised, pan-fried, baked salmon is just meh. Would rather eat mackerel.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1829 on: 21 April, 2023, 10:10:57 am »
Smoked eel FTW!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1830 on: 21 April, 2023, 01:17:44 pm »

There. I've said it.
I'm very partial to smoked salmon (although smoke trout is superior in every way). braised, pan-fried, baked salmon is just meh. Would rather eat mackerel.

+1. Love smoked salmon but I don't like the taste of unsmoked salmon.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1831 on: 21 April, 2023, 01:30:00 pm »
I love wild salmon, farmed salmon not so much.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1832 on: 21 April, 2023, 04:22:56 pm »

There. I've said it.

+1. Love smoked salmon but I don't like the taste of unsmoked salmon.

+2

ian

« Reply #1833 on: 21 April, 2023, 09:31:57 pm »
I quite like salmon, but I don't want to eat hunks of raw salmon. Surely if it's marinated, it would be sliced thin like gravadlax. And no it wasn't wild and for £14 I want batshit crazy salmon.

I don't know a way to slow-cook beef that makes it tougher.

I'm unsure if being compared to ChatGPT is a compliment or a detriment these days. No GPUs were harmed in the writing of that review. I won't mention the venue as it feels a bit mean to do it after the fact if you don't complain there and then.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
the food rant thread
« Reply #1834 on: 21 April, 2023, 10:34:31 pm »
I don't know a way to slow-cook beef that makes it tougher.

Using the wrong cut would be a good start. They probably used super-lean fillet steak or something - the kind of cut that benefits from brief searing at most before it dries out.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1835 on: 27 April, 2023, 12:09:22 pm »
My Sainsbury: if you think you can hike the price of your cartons of chopped tomatoes with basil and oregano by 50% overnight, you are taking me for a fool…

I have submitted a review of the product, which the mods will, no doubt, block but might draw attention to the fact...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1836 on: 27 April, 2023, 05:37:46 pm »
They've posted my review in full!

390g carton was 40p when I ordered it last night and 60p when I got it today...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1837 on: 27 April, 2023, 06:51:50 pm »
Mr Sainsbury seems to have been doing an awful lot of that sort of thing of late  :(

rr

« Reply #1838 on: 27 April, 2023, 08:49:04 pm »

It'll be a bargain at 10p off next week.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 using Tapatalk

citoyen

« Reply #1839 on: 09 May, 2023, 07:32:36 am »

The headline inflation figure is a very misleading under-representation of the facts, isn't it - some things have gone up hardly at all, but it seems to be the basics that have been hit hardest by price rises. A 500g pack of linguine in Tesco was 55p in recent memory, now 90p.

I was in Sainsbury's the other day and had intended to buy some peanut butter. I usually get the 1kg tubs of Whole Earth crunchy* which not so long ago were around the £4.50 mark, iirc. Current price in Sainsbury's is £6.80, which means it has gone from being a staple to a luxury.

They had it for £5.50 in Waitrose yesterday, which was marked as a discounted price.

*the best peanut butter there is. Fact. This is not open to discussion.

« Reply #1840 on: 09 May, 2023, 08:02:06 am »
Does this peanut butter ^^^^ turn into concrete overnight like others?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1841 on: 09 May, 2023, 08:52:10 am »
I usually get the 1kg tubs of Whole Earth crunchy

Dear Mr Citoyen

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité, sous le beton les pavés and all that.

Please would you lead us in an uprising against the current authority and, while you're at it bring in the guillotine as a suitable recompense for their years of effort? You clearly have superhuman strength and skills, I have seen you and you are NOT wider than you are tall.

Thank you for your service.

Yours

A jealous admirer.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1842 on: 09 May, 2023, 10:13:53 pm »
They've posted my review in full!390g carton was 40p when I ordered it last night and 60p when I got it today...
The headline inflation figure is a very misleading under-representation of the facts, isn't it - some things have gone up hardly at all, but it seems to be the basics that have been hit hardest by price rises. A 500g pack of linguine in Tesco was 55p in recent memory, now 90p.
I was in Sainsbury's the other day and had intended to buy some peanut butter. I usually get the 1kg tubs of Whole Earth crunchy* which not so long ago were around the £4.50 mark, iirc. Current price in Sainsbury's is £6.80, which means it has gone from being a staple to a luxury.
They had it for £5.50 in Waitrose yesterday, which was marked as a discounted price.
*the best peanut butter there is. Fact. This is not open to discussion.
Partner bought a kilo of the same PB from Sainsbury's just before Christmas for just over a fiver I think. I've a £6.80 tub onorder for next week. It still seems the cheapest way to buy it.

citoyen

« Reply #1843 on: 10 May, 2023, 08:11:32 am »

Is it Meridian you're thinking of? Really not keen on that one - not least because it does tend to separate very easily.

No, Whole Earth doesn't do that.

citoyen

« Reply #1844 on: 10 May, 2023, 08:12:13 am »
I have seen you and you are NOT wider than you are tall.

You haven't seen me very recently...

« Reply #1845 on: 10 May, 2023, 09:14:13 am »

;D

There are very few foods I cannot trust myself with. Cheese. as a food group I can, just about - Vieux Mimolette, 2 year matured Gouda, no way no how. The other food in that danger group and exponentially easier to acquire is, of course, peanut butter. Would you like some ideas you may (?) not have tried? On a spoon, with raisins? As a sandwich, with tomato?(this might sound odd but it REALLY works)  On home baked wholemeal or white toast, dough with caraway seeds added? and of course, mixed with marmite. You're welcome.

« Reply #1846 on: 10 May, 2023, 09:41:12 am »
My commendation to the gourmands among you, peanut butter and coleslaw sandwich.
Homemade bread: 50% wholemeal, 25% malted, 25% white.
Homemade coleslaw: white cabbage, onion, carrot, Lidl mayo, sultanas, lime juice, black pepper.

« Reply #1847 on: 10 May, 2023, 09:54:22 am »
Can you put that coleslaw on a ham and pineapple pizza?

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #1848 on: 10 May, 2023, 10:52:32 am »
Home made Brussels sprout kimchi and Whole Earth crunchy PB baguettes are rather nice :thumbsup:

Is it Meridian you're thinking of? Really not keen on that one - not least because it does tend to separate very easily.

No, Whole Earth doesn't do that.

Agreed, Meridian is particulalrly impossible to re-mix in 1kg tubs :(

« Reply #1849 on: 10 May, 2023, 02:05:51 pm »

;D

There are very few foods I cannot trust myself with. Cheese. as a food group I can, just about - Vieux Mimolette, 2 year matured Gouda, no way no how. The other food in that danger group and exponentially easier to acquire is, of course, peanut butter. Would you like some ideas you may (?) not have tried? On a spoon, with raisins? As a sandwich, with tomato?(this might sound odd but it REALLY works)  On home baked wholemeal or white toast, dough with caraway seeds added? and of course, mixed with marmite. You're welcome.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/elvis-presleys-fried-peanut-butter-and-banana-sandwich