Author Topic: Gold Medal  (Read 3533 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Gold Medal
« on: 06 August, 2012, 12:12:20 am »
Here's one from yesterday.

Possibly not the one you might think I'd have seen.
It is simpler than it looks.

Re: Gold Medal
« Reply #1 on: 06 August, 2012, 12:52:09 am »
Odd that there's no date on it.  Is it on the back?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #2 on: 06 August, 2012, 08:13:40 am »
I think its appalling that Lisa blowing Bart has been immortalised on the medals...  :facepalm:

Why can't they come up with a nice classic design and stick with it, instead of having these awful logos plastered over the medals? 
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #3 on: 06 August, 2012, 08:42:06 am »
The Rio logo is pretty cool.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 06 August, 2012, 08:45:39 am »
The other side of the medal is more classic.  I thought they were shinier than that, though - that looks like satin.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #5 on: 06 August, 2012, 08:52:50 am »
She ad only had it for about an hour, so it must be finished like that. Hopefully I'll be able to photograph the other side of one in a month or so's time.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2012, 08:58:27 am »
I think its appalling that Lisa blowing Bart has been immortalised on the medals...  :facepalm:

Why can't they come up with a nice classic design and stick with it, instead of having these awful logos plastered over the medals?
I suppose the problem is getting agreement.

More worrying for me is the physical inflation over the years (highlighted in another thread). They look like plastic toys now, and it's cleary going to get worse over time. The actually medal-sized ones of 50years ago were much cooler and tasteful.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #7 on: 06 August, 2012, 09:53:33 am »
Agreed

« Reply #8 on: 06 August, 2012, 09:56:13 am »
Presumably, eventually, there'll be an Olympic Medal Lifting medal....
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: 06 August, 2012, 10:18:07 am »

More worrying for me is the physical inflation over the years (highlighted in another thread). They look like plastic toys now, and it's cleary going to get worse over time. The actually medal-sized ones of 50years ago were much cooler and tasteful.
The IOC lays down a minimum size: 60mm diameter & 3mm thickness. I don't know when it was introduced, but medals from before 1960 were mostly smaller, so it must have been after 1956. Up to 1956, the size varied from 33 to 59mm by 1.5 to 5.7mm, with no particular pattern: the 1896 medals were 48mm, the 1912 medals the thinnest by far & only 0.4 mm from having the smallest diameter. The biggest were in 1920, the thickest in 1932.

From 1960 to 2004 there was no inflation. 68 x 6.5 mm in 1960, 60 x 5 mm in 2004, maximum (in 1992) 70 x 9.8mm. The 2008 medals were 70mm, the same diameter as 1992 & 1996, & thinner than most since 1960.

This lack of inflationary trend has been blown out of the water by LOCOG. The 2012 medals are 85 x 7mm, & the heaviest ever, by far, over 50% heavier than the previous record set in 1992.

Winter Olympics medals are bloody enormous. though. They hit 100mm in 1936, & after a bit of relative moderation have gone wild since 1992. They topped half a kilo in 2002 & 2010, & the last two have been 107 & 100 mm.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Regulator

« Reply #10 on: 06 August, 2012, 10:44:10 am »

Why do they need agreement?  The IOC can dictate what the medals look like.  After all, the medals are awarded by the IOC - not the host city.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #11 on: 06 August, 2012, 10:45:19 am »

I think one side of the medals really ought to just look like this:

;D
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #12 on: 06 August, 2012, 10:51:38 am »

Why do they need agreement?  The IOC can dictate what the medals look like.  After all, the medals are awarded by the IOC - not the host city.
I assumed he meant getting agreement within the IOC.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #13 on: 06 August, 2012, 10:54:18 am »

... and getting something Reg would agree was a nice classic.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Regulator

« Reply #14 on: 06 August, 2012, 11:29:25 am »

... and getting something Reg would agree was a nice classic.

I think the Olympic Rings on the front, maybe with the name of the host city and the date underneath. Details of the event, athlete etc. on the reverse.

Sorted!

Green Party Councillor

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #15 on: 06 August, 2012, 11:33:22 am »
Arguing about the design of the WONDERFUL GOLD that one of OUR WONDERFUL LOT is surely proof, if proof were needed, that people on the internet will argue about anything. :facepalm:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #16 on: 06 August, 2012, 11:52:35 am »
Arguing about the design of the WONDERFUL GOLD that one of OUR WONDERFUL LOT is surely proof, if proof were needed, that people on the internet will argue about anything. :facepalm:

After pr0n, it is the second most-important function of the internet.  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 06 August, 2012, 12:57:06 pm »
Presumably they had to discuss the designs they used in the many olympiads before the era of Tim Lerner-Bees.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #18 on: 06 August, 2012, 01:07:26 pm »
Reg would presumably prefer Milhouse blowing Bart.  Hey, did I just invent a new slash fiction genre?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #19 on: 06 August, 2012, 01:20:24 pm »
Bobb and I were looking at all the previous designs on the interwebs the other night. Munich was a bit scary looking. Somewhere had a laurel wreath design I really liked - possibly Montreal.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #20 on: 06 August, 2012, 10:26:19 pm »

I think the Olympic Rings on the front, maybe with the name of the host city and the date underneath. Details of the event, athlete etc. on the reverse.

Sorted!

Adding stuff like event and athlete would make it a much slower (and expensive) process. Pub trivia time: which campaign medal awarded to members of the British armed forces was the most expensive, and why?

(click to show/hide)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Regulator

« Reply #21 on: 06 August, 2012, 11:07:10 pm »

Sorted!

Adding stuff like event and athlete would make it a much slower (and expensive) process. Pub trivia time: which campaign medal awarded to members of the British armed forces was the most expensive, and why?

(click to show/hide)

The reality is that having someone there to engrave medals wouldn't be too expensive or time consuming.  A lot of engraving is computerised these days anyway.

You could always give them a 'blank' medal on the podium and the final engraved medal later.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 07 August, 2012, 12:53:13 am »
Here's one from yesterday.

Possibly not the one you might think I'd have seen.
Have you unwrapped it and eaten the chocolate inside?

:D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.