Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL equipment  (Read 68426 times)

border-rider

Re: LEL equipment
« Reply #25 on: 29 January, 2009, 11:04:39 am »
It depends on the wind, to some extent

The first 300 is seriously fast, and if the wind isn't a problem I'd be inclined to gear up if anything.  The Northern 800 loop is lumpy, but the only hill you'd struggle on is the cobbled one through Alston on the way back. 

I rode it in 2001 on 50x20, and in 2005 on 44x17.  I didn't feel the need to change that at all, and if I were riding this year I'd stay with 44x17.  I'd probably have an 18T in reserve in case of headwinds though.

« Reply #26 on: 29 January, 2009, 11:20:17 am »
Those first lumps out of Cheshunt really aren't that much, especially given the hours of flatland riding all the way to Coxwold that follow. The biggest single climb (to Brickenden) is well under 100m of height gain and you'd probably lose more time faffing around changing gears after the final real lump (between Rushden and Wallington at 40km) than you would just riding the bigger gear for that first section anyway, especially as Gamlingay (63km) is just a stamp and go control on the way out and no-one will be stopping for long.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

red marley

« Reply #27 on: 29 January, 2009, 11:57:30 am »
I rode fixed 76" on PBP and took along a sprocket giving me 67" should have needed it. In the end though I never changed it. The hassle of changing it outweighed any benefits I might have got. I am planning to stick with either 72" or 76" for LEL (not sure which yet). I think gearing up to allow you to stick with a group more easily on the flat bits is probably more important than gearing down to avoid grinding up the steeper hills.

I agree that headwind might be an issue, but when I did the windy Border Raid 600 last year, which covers some of the LEL route, I'm not sure a few gear inches would have made much difference in the face of such an extreme headwind.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #28 on: 29 January, 2009, 12:09:24 pm »
Those first lumps out of Cheshunt really aren't that much, especially given the hours of flatland riding all the way to Coxwold that follow. The biggest single climb (to Brickenden) is well under 100m of height gain and you'd probably lose more time faffing around changing gears after the final real lump (between Rushden and Wallington at 40km) than you would just riding the bigger gear for that first section anyway,
The obvious comment is...I have a little lever marked "Centaur" which reducing faffing under these circumstances

Tiger

« Reply #29 on: 29 January, 2009, 12:12:45 pm »
Here you go all in the one Carradice 23 l saddlebag

If you click on the photo it goes to the flickr page that has notes describing the contents.

Personally I think prayer mats are a bit of a luxury and might be left behind.

« Reply #30 on: 29 January, 2009, 12:14:36 pm »
Those first lumps out of Cheshunt really aren't that much, especially given the hours of flatland riding all the way to Coxwold that follow. The biggest single climb (to Brickenden) is well under 100m of height gain and you'd probably lose more time faffing around changing gears after the final real lump (between Rushden and Wallington at 40km) than you would just riding the bigger gear for that first section anyway,
The obvious comment is...I have a little lever marked "Centaur" which reducing faffing under these circumstances

Well yes, but that's against the spirit of fixed/single-speed riding innit.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #31 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:10:05 pm »
I rode it ... in 2005 on 44x17.  I didn't feel the need to change that at all

when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #32 on: 29 January, 2009, 02:10:19 pm »
I plan on taking on the bike (probably in a rackpack):-
  • Tool kit (adjustable spanner, lockring spanner, spare links of chain, zip ties, pencil with insulating tape wound round it, leatherman mini for pliers/knife, multi-tool, chain tool, spare brake blocks, spokey, p*nct*r* repair kit, Park tyre boot, bag of spare nuts/bolts/cleat, 5 pairs of latex gloves)
  • 18T and 16T Miche sprockets to give me 67" for the hills or 74" for a tailwind on the flatlands. Flip/flop hub will have 19T sprocket bailout gear (63") and the initial 17T sprocket on the Miche carrier for the first 400km on 71"
  • Zefal HPX pump on frame
  • cheapo cable lock around seatpost
  • Inner tubes * 2
  • long fingered gloves (also useful for doubling up) for foul weather
  • spare folding tyre (tyres on bike will have about 500km on before the event so they should easily last)
  • silk sleeping bag liner for sleeping in (as reviewed recently by Shelia in the recent CTC mag)
  • space blanket
  • tiny almost certainly useless sport towel thing
  • small first aid kit, painkillers (Vitamin I), more painkillers (Codeine), plasters, antiseptic wipes, travel toothbrush/toothpaste, Immodium, Diarolyte sachets, Earplugs, ProPlus, travel sized shower gel
  • spare batteries for GPS/camera/lights, also a tiny mobile phone charger that runs off one AA battery in case I forget to to turn off my phone between controls
  • Petzl headtorch for after dark use (reading GPS/computer/routesheet/roadsigns and doing repairs)
  • phone, camera, wallet, bonk rations, sun cream in triathlon bag-thingy just behind the stem
  • ziploc back containing map pages from Atlas, copy of routesheet
  • front lighting will be two (one as a backup) B&M Ixon's powered by batteries. No SON wheel for me on LEL
  • rear lighting will be B&M D'toplight mounted on the rack, and a Smart superflash on the rackpack as a backup
  • sunglasses case to hold prescription glasses/sunglasses (whichever I'm not wearing!)
  • one bidon. other bottle cage will either be empty of hold a mineral water bottle purchased from garage/shop
  • some portions of energy powder (for emergencies only) and Nuun electrolyte replacement tablets

Leg warmers, rain jacket, arm warmers will all go in the sidepockets of the rackpack when not in use.

Probably about 6kg of stuff at most, it's not much more than I carry on longer Audaxes anyway.

In the Dalkeith bagdrop I'll have:-
  • 3 spare inner tubes
  • spare batteries for lights/GPS/headtorch/mp3
  • 2 * spare shorts
  • 2 * spare jerseys
  • 1 * spare pair mitts
  • Inflatable bed thing
  • Towel

In the other bag drop (probably Thorne) I'll have:-
  • 3 spare inner tubes
  • 3 * spare shorts
  • 3 * pair socks
  • 2 * spare pairs of mitts
  • 3 * spare Jerseys (including the LEL jersey I'll pickup at registration time)
  • Inflatable bed thing (borrow my brother's).
  • Towel

Scenario 1 (minimum distance per day) for an 8am start:-

End day 1 at Thorne. Shower and change clothes there. Sleep on airbed in sleeping bag liner. Leave dirty stuff in dropbag. Put on clean set of clothes and stuff another clean set in the bag (as I'm unlikely to make it to Dalkeith on day 2). Replenish batteries/tubes supplies from dropbag.
End day 2 at Eskdalemuir. Shower (if possible) and change clothes. Sleep wherever in sleeping bag liner. Replenish supplies.
End day 3 at Alston/Langdon Beck/Middleton Tyas (depends on distance). Shower if possible. Sleep wherever. Change into clean clothes that were collected from Dalkeith.
End day 4 at Lincoln (or Thurlby). Shower if possible. Change into clean clothes (including LEL top) collected on the way from Thorne bagdrop (and drop off dirty stuff). Sleep on airbed collected from Thorne (I don't mind carrying it for this last leg) but it is about 1kg.
Day 5 is a gentle pootle from Lincoln/Thurlby back down to Cheshunt.

The more hopefuly scenario is to get to Coxwold on day 1 having collected stuff at Thorne. Then make Dalkeith at the end of day 2. From there I've got 3 days to do the journey back and can take it easy (or romp along depending on the weather and how I feel).

More likely is to just sleep wherever I feel the need to. Shower if showers are available and I'm within time and feel like a shower. Swap dirty stuff for clean stuff at dropbag locations. Replenish supplies if necessary. Don't worry if I end up doing a second day in the same jersey/shorts/etc, it's not going to kill me.

Not that I've thought about it or anything...

« Reply #33 on: 29 January, 2009, 02:17:16 pm »
Greenbank, not really wishing to rain on your parade but if the drop bags are the same size as the 2005 ones, you'll not get all that stuff into them. In 2005 one was not permitted to use ones own bag for the bag drops.

« Reply #34 on: 29 January, 2009, 02:22:00 pm »
Greenbank, not really wishing to rain on your parade but if the drop bags are the same size as the 2005 ones, you'll not get all that stuff into them. In 2005 one was not permitted to use ones own bag for the bag drops.

From the FAQ:

"
Yes. there will be two bag drops, one at Dalkeith (Edinburgh) and one at a control yet to be decided. You will be provided with an official LEL bag for your items and only these bags will be accepted on the bag drop. These bags will be large enough to hold sleeping mats and blankets, a change of clothing and a towel. A spare light and batteries is also a good idea.
"

The inflatable bed thingies I have are much much smaller than one of those rolled up sleeping mats. I'd have no problem getting everything I need into something smaller than a Carradice Barley, let alone the amount of space taken up by a sleeping mat.

« Reply #35 on: 29 January, 2009, 02:23:25 pm »
Good. Far too early for me to worry about that sort of thing just yet.

« Reply #36 on: 29 January, 2009, 02:42:25 pm »
I'm only thinking about it because my friend is bugging me with these kinds of questions (about LEL and other Audaxes this year) so I may aswell have an idea of what I'm doing.

I thought about ditching the rack and just using a saddlebag but the B&M D'Toplight rear light attached to the rack is excellent (and includes a large area of reflector) that I may aswell use it. The smallish size of the rackpack will also help me not bringing the kitchen sink with me.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #37 on: 29 January, 2009, 02:46:52 pm »
I haven't though about bedding at all. Every time I stopped on PBP there was at least a blanket and something soft to lie on. From what I've seen, the LEL orgs have been a bit coy on what we can expect.

Either this is to hold back bad news, or hedge their bets!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #38 on: 29 January, 2009, 03:53:34 pm »
Reminds me, I need a trial pack of the rackpack to see how much space it all takes up.

As a hedge bet I'd be tempted to book a travelodge room for Middleton Tyas for the night of Tuesday 28th. They're still only £29 for a family room. Hmmm.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #39 on: 29 January, 2009, 05:21:37 pm »
i think the Middleton Tyas room is a good investment (especially split 2 or 3 ways). I assume it is v close to the route. Whatever your shedule, you can still crash there for a couple of hours and get a decent shower.

(I have family just over the hill from MT and on the route nr York, so a Travelodge would be a waste ... :) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #40 on: 29 January, 2009, 05:28:01 pm »
i think the Middleton Tyas room is a good investment (especially split 2 or 3 ways). I assume it is v close to the route. Whatever your shedule, you can still crash there for a couple of hours and get a decent shower.

One of the LEL controls is at the village school in Middleton Tyas, the Travelodge is less than a mile down the road by the A1/A66 junction. There's no Little Chef but there is a 24 hour petrol station.

« Reply #41 on: 29 January, 2009, 05:55:36 pm »
Thanks for the tip on the Middleton Tyas Travelodge.  I'd (wrongly) assumed that the LEL route wouldn't be going near any Travelodges, being mainly rural.  Anyway, I've booked a room for Tuesday night and am happy to share if there is a convergence of YACF'ers.

I've also got a room booked for Edinburgh Musselburgh on the Monday night, which is only 4 miles from Dalkeith.  One way or another I'll get a long bath and a bit of comfort!
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #42 on: 29 January, 2009, 06:01:13 pm »
    18T and 16T Miche sprockets to give me 67" for the hills or 74" for a tailwind on the flatlands. Flip/flop hub will have 19T sprocket bailout gear (63") and the initial 17T sprocket on the Miche carrier for the first 400km on 71"[/li][/list]

wouldnt it be easier just to ride a geared bike??  ;)

« Reply #43 on: 29 January, 2009, 06:03:16 pm »
    Ideally I won't need to change at all from the default 71". The rest are just contingency (and the fact that the Miche carrier makes it easy to swap.

LEL

« Reply #44 on: 29 January, 2009, 07:18:07 pm »
    Dear God Greenbank - just exactly how many visits from the p******e fairy are you expecting?

For info the moto crew and each control will have repair kits though moto crew will not have pumps.

As for the space blanket - please note that you may carry one but they are banned from use in controls.   :hand:

Yes we have been coy so far in saying what we have done - remember, until you have your route sheets sent to you in May along with the control detials and info, nothing is set in stone.  This is why we are not giving out too much info - it can (and probably will) change

And all controls that have showers will have shower gel provided. O:-)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
    « Reply #45 on: 29 January, 2009, 08:13:20 pm »
    As for the space blanket - please note that you may carry one but they are banned from use in controls.   :hand:
    :thumbsup:

(it might also be worth advising riders to not dump them at the roadside late in the ride)
    Has never ridden RAAM
    ---------

« Reply #46 on: 30 January, 2009, 10:42:57 am »
    Dear God Greenbank - just exactly how many visits from the p******e fairy are you expecting?

None. Be prepared and self-sufficiency and all that. I got through 2 inner tubes in one ride last year without getting a single p*nct*r* (the person I was riding with got 4 and only had 2 spare tubes). I'll only carry 2 on me at any time and use the bag drop stores to replenish stocks if I have used them or given them away.

Good. Mine is for emergency use out on the road, and maybe not for me (if you see what I mean). I wasn't planning on using it inside the controls, not only because of the irritating rustling, but they're a pain to fold up again nice and small. And for only 50g of weight it's a useful thing to carry just in case.

If you're thinking about stuff to ban from inside controls I'd add "Loud snoring" and "Droning on about rides from years ago whilst people are trying to sleep."

And all controls that have showers will have shower gel provided. O:-)

Good.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
      • Audaxing
    « Reply #47 on: 30 January, 2009, 01:11:33 pm »
    Good. Far too early for me to worry about that sort of thing just yet.

Me too.  About as far as I've got is thinking that my current enormous bag is a bit too big and by getting a smaller one I could save a significant amount of weight.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
      • Audaxing
    « Reply #48 on: 30 January, 2009, 01:18:09 pm »

If you're thinking about stuff to ban from inside controls I'd add "Loud snoring" and "Droning on about rides from years ago whilst people are trying to sleep."

Last time I asked Mal Volio what items he recommended taking aside from tools/ spares / clothes /food

The two things I remember were immodium and ear plugs

I didn't take either on LEL.  This was a mistake, the first sleep stop was noisey along with it's other faults.
    I didn't get the trots however so that was ok
    On PBP I took the earplugs and used them to good effect.
    I didn't get the trots on PBP either

« Reply #49 on: 30 January, 2009, 01:24:15 pm »
    I've got stocks of Immodium and Diarolyte left over from my trip to South America (where I did get the trots). Ear plugs are also on my list. I'll expand what I've got in my first aid kit...