Author Topic: What is this strange witchcraft?  (Read 3862 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: What is this strange witchcraft?
« Reply #25 on: 24 October, 2018, 12:37:50 pm »
I'm never convinced simply exchanging lots of sodium for lots of potassium is a great idea, for lots of reasons. If you're worried about salt, eat less salty stuff.

Indeed.

[veering OT] Likewise a smaller portion of good chocolate/cake/mayonnaise/whatever always trumps the low fat/sugar/salt alternatives.

« Reply #26 on: 24 October, 2018, 02:26:36 pm »
Well I had to look..

Reduced salt Marmite has 25% less salt than regular Marmite.  That's a whole 1 gramme reduction - for every 100 grammes of Marmite.  Serving suggestion? 4 grammes.  So that's 0.15 g as opposed to 0.2 g per serving. That'll make ALL the difference.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

« Reply #27 on: 24 October, 2018, 02:42:55 pm »
If it's any consolation, iirc KCl is the final step in the lethal injection cocktail to stop the heart (used because it's readily available, the drug companies generally refusing to sell actual drugs for state-sanctioned murder).

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #28 on: 24 October, 2018, 03:14:01 pm »
Well I had to look..

Reduced salt Marmite has 25% less salt than regular Marmite.  That's a whole 1 gramme reduction - for every 100 grammes of Marmite.  Serving suggestion? 4 grammes.  So that's 0.15 g as opposed to 0.2 g per serving. That'll make ALL the difference.
They say at least 25% less salt. The nutritional info says 6.1g per 100g, instead of 10.8g per 100g. So more like 40% less. Presumably there could be some variation between batches etc, so they can't be too precise.
So 0.49g instead of 0.86g per 8g serving. And many people will eat much more than '1 serving' anyway.

2 slices of toast with regular Marmite could be over 1/4 of the recommended maximum daily salt intake.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #29 on: 24 October, 2018, 03:36:30 pm »
What is the KCl content of the blue lid stuff?

Would this be hazardous to those with kidney problems or of potassium-sparing diuretics?

Out of interest, I looked at the ingredients of a jar in Tesco today and I didn't see any KCl on the list.

Not that I'm particularly bothered about lowering salt intake - my sodium levels always come out borderline low.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 24 October, 2018, 06:09:13 pm »
If it's any consolation, iirc KCl is the final step in the lethal injection cocktail to stop the heart (used because it's readily available, the drug companies generally refusing to sell actual drugs for state-sanctioned murder).

Related factoid: Intravenous KCl (at much less lethal concentrations) is almost, but not quite entirely, as unpleasant as eating bananananas.  (DAHIKT)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #31 on: 24 October, 2018, 07:54:56 pm »
I don't know if blue lid Marmite contains KCl. It's not mentioned on the Marmite website but KCl is frequently used as a substitute for NaCl, eg in 'Lo-Salt' or whatever they call it.

Some products contain much salt, not just for flavour, but also to extend shelf-life, as bugs and moulds can't grow in a high salt concentration.

fuaran's bread probably contains a gram of salt per slice, even before it gets butter & Marmite.