Author Topic: The 2016 "is your heating on yet?" thread  (Read 17702 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: The 2016 "is your heating on yet?" thread
« Reply #175 on: 09 November, 2016, 07:39:58 pm »
Wife has come home feeling snotty and shivery - so the fire has been lit tonight for the first time since last winter.

Too hot for me so we are in separate rooms  :(
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #176 on: 11 November, 2016, 10:21:09 pm »
Had the flue for the stove swept last week.  Not a lot in it, apparently, even after 2.5 years.  The sweep said it's the double-wall system - it keeps everything hot and moving, so you don't really get creosote.

The stove is a lot more effective than the CH; CH is nominally 12kW but takes 4 hours to raise the living room temperature from 14 deg C to 21 deg C, although once it's there I can turn the heating off and the temperature will only fall by about half a degree per hour (the house is well insulated).  The 5kW stove got it from 13 deg C to 21 deg C in just over one hour this morning, with a reasonable warming of upstairs too.   For rapid heating from a boiler, you need more and bigger radiators than most houses have space for.  IIRC central heating is normally sized so it can maintain 19 deg C indoors when it's -1 deg C outdoors; not much spare capacity for actually raising the temperature from cold.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #177 on: 22 October, 2018, 05:28:36 pm »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #178 on: 22 October, 2018, 07:41:49 pm »
I never 'switch my heating on or off'.

My thermostat does that.

My thermostat is ignorant of the date and was triggered to fire the heating in June 2017. Likewise, the heating has occasionally fired in August.

My partner tolerates cold worse than me...

« Reply #179 on: 23 October, 2018, 09:25:51 am »
I never 'switch my heating on or off'.
My thermostat does that.

This.

Why would you switch it off when its thermostatically controlled? I hit the "we're on holiday button" (knocks it into frost protect only mode) when we go away for a few days but that's it.
Mind you mine set at 18deg C not about 25 like my Dads.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #180 on: 23 October, 2018, 09:37:43 am »
We don't turn ours off either – it's been coming on occasionally, there's usually a burst in the morning. Very little yet in the evening.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #181 on: 23 October, 2018, 09:42:44 am »
“What a treat, the heating is on!”

That’s because it is cold enough for it to come on...

We did get through a couple of winters with it set to 16 C. It is set a bit warmer now.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #182 on: 23 October, 2018, 11:27:01 am »
Our stat is near the front door - which isn't exactly hermetically sealed - and mounted on the outside wall. Since we've lived there the  temperature settings have never been above 15c. Even in the depths of the freezes the warmth hits you like opening a furnace.

Constantly at odds with people who have no concept of thermodynamics. Just leave the FUCKING THING ALONE!!!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #183 on: 23 October, 2018, 11:27:39 am »
Mine comes up in 'off' mode after a system reboot, simply because if it's rebooted it's possibly because something bad has happened and it's best that the heating stays off (the original thermostat is in parallel as a frost protection backup).  As such, it needs prodding into thermostatic mode as autumn sets in.

It's been coming on as we first go downstairs in the morning for a couple of weeks now.  In the last two days, it's got cold enough that going into the bathroom has made it come on.

I was running it manually last night for some reason.  I felt really cold, in spite of the temperature being about the same.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #184 on: 23 October, 2018, 11:55:48 am »
I topped up the leaky radiators at the weekend with the magic valve

The shed is full of wood and the chimney is swept

It's not been cold enough yet to do anything with any of the heating systems.  I have put a big jumper on a couple of times

Chez Vorsprung is in the relatively warm Devon

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #185 on: 23 October, 2018, 04:08:26 pm »
Mine is controlled by Hive so I switch it on and off manually.  Sometimes I'm out in the evening, if I'm in all day I use the stove instead.  Anyway, I like to clean down the back of the rads and empty the sludge filter before I recommission it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #186 on: 23 October, 2018, 04:44:20 pm »
Constantly at odds with people who have no concept of thermodynamics. Just leave the FUCKING THING ALONE!!!

Oh god yes I feel your pain.Mrs Pcolbeck likes to turn it up to 25deg "so that it reaches 18deg faster" in the car she does the same thing. The car has climate control when we get in on a hot day she turns this down to 10deg "so the car cools down faster" no just leave it as it is at 19 both summer and winter and it will cool down or heat up as fast as it can for gods sake.

« Reply #187 on: 23 October, 2018, 04:52:36 pm »

Oh god yes I feel your pain.Mrs Pcolbeck likes to turn it up to 25deg "so that it reaches 18deg faster" in the car she does the same thing. The car has climate control when we get in on a hot day she turns this down to 10deg "so the car cools down faster" no just leave it as it is at 19 both summer and winter and it will cool down or heat up as fast as it can for gods sake.

I fear she may well be right re the aircon though  ;D. If I turn mine to "Lo", which is the minimum, it runs the fans at full speed with may cooling. Certainly cools faster than just leaving it set.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #188 on: 23 October, 2018, 05:11:34 pm »

It's not that I think it cools faster or warms faster with a higher temp, rather that if I'm hot, I want cold air blowing on me and if I'm cold, I want warm air blowing at my feet. When I've warmed up or cooled down, I switch it off.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #189 on: 23 October, 2018, 05:13:38 pm »

I fear she may well be right re the aircon though  ;D. If I turn mine to "Lo", which is the minimum, it runs the fans at full speed with may cooling. Certainly cools faster than just leaving it set.

It's climate control not air-conditioning ie computer controlled to reach a temp and hold it. It turns the fan speed up and down automatically to achieve that.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #190 on: 23 October, 2018, 05:28:01 pm »
Counter intuitively the thing to do with a hot car is to switch the A/C off for a couple of minutes and drive with all the windows open. Any car that has been sitting in the sun will be an awful lot hotter inside than the outside air temperature. If you allow the air temperature to equalise then use the A/C on recirculation it doesn't work the compressor so hard.

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Phil W

« Reply #191 on: 23 October, 2018, 05:47:16 pm »
We have the windows open year round. Fresh air freaks...

ian

« Reply #192 on: 23 October, 2018, 06:07:23 pm »
We always leave a few windows on the catch. Not convinced being hermetically sealed is a good idea, air should circulate. Besides, farts have to go somewhere.

Splendid bit of French comedy as I checked into my small Paris hotel last week – American woman (they could have heard her back in Wyoming) was complaining to the other receptionist about the – dans demi-Français – 'weather in her room' (it had been an unseasonable 23 degrees that day). The receptionist, having given the problem some thought, asked her to 'put her head outside the window.' I think she meant open the window, but it'll work.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #193 on: 23 October, 2018, 06:12:23 pm »

I'm afraid that Mrs B still does this with the oven.  Even though I've mansplained, and she understands, that the heating element is either off or on, and turning it up to eleven doesn't make it on-er.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #194 on: 23 October, 2018, 07:49:15 pm »
Veering towards casual sexism alert!

Here is a counter-example:
the very-ex was exceedingly clueless in this respect, unlike my excellent self.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #195 on: 23 October, 2018, 07:54:27 pm »
Veering towards casual sexism alert!

Here is a counter-example:
the very-ex was exceedingly clueless in this respect, unlike my excellent self.
Fair point  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #196 on: 23 October, 2018, 07:55:09 pm »
Both barakta and I understand how thermostats work.  Occasionally we abuse them for reasons similar to those described by Butterfly upthread.

I don't think any gender has a monopoly on thermostat cluelessness.

ian

« Reply #197 on: 23 October, 2018, 08:01:49 pm »
I understand how thermostats work too.

Moths.

That's how. Moths are exquisitely sensitivity to temperature. Which is why you never see one take a hot bath.

« Reply #198 on: 23 October, 2018, 08:33:31 pm »
With the heating season upon us I am currently trying to understand why my boiler kettles on a middle constant pump setting ( of three possible). It does not kettle on a max constant setting. However on a variable pump setting, it runs quite happily and silently, on the suggested default setting for systems with TRVs. Most odd.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #199 on: 23 October, 2018, 09:00:31 pm »
I topped up the leaky radiators at the weekend with the magic valve

The shed is full of wood and the chimney is swept

It's not been cold enough yet to do anything with any of the heating systems.  I have put a big jumper on a couple of times

Chez Vorsprung is in the relatively warm Devon

having said that I am now sitting in front of a log burning stove that is lit :)