Author Topic: Route to the Badlands?  (Read 608 times)

Route to the Badlands?
« on: 20 March, 2024, 11:23:58 am »
I am a Norf Londoner through and through. I used to venture south of the river occasionally when I used to ride around London for my blog, but I never developed any sense of route planning. I now have to venture abroad into the badlands, a trip from home to Finches Emporium, 25-27 Perry Vale, London SE23 2NE (from E12 5EL - with skis tied to the bike). The route planners I've looked at are basically pants. My inclination would be to cross the Woolwich foot tunnel, and wiggle my way from there, which will get me there for sure.

But, given my ignorance, is there a better/nicer option? Speed isn't an issue, looking for pleasantness. I was thinking maybe better to go into town and cross Tower Bridge?

Re: Route to the Badlands?
« Reply #1 on: 20 March, 2024, 11:49:16 am »
Thames Path to Greenwich then Waterlink Way to Catford might be pleasant (and fairly flat) for a decent chunk of it.

Personally I'd probably just trust to zen navigation and wiggle a bit from Woolwich. Maybe something like QE hospital, Canberra Road, Blackheath Standard (or cut through to St John's Park to avoid it), Blackheath, cut down to Lee High Road and through the LTN to avoid Lewisham centre, Ladywell, Brockley Road, Honor Oak Park, down Devonshire Road. Ish.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #2 on: 20 March, 2024, 04:59:57 pm »
Thames Path to Greenwich then Waterlink Way to Catford might be pleasant (and fairly flat) for a decent chunk of it.
The footbridge over the railway in ladywell fields might be at bit of a challege with skis. You can actually pass under the south circular at Catford. Follow the waterlink under Catford Bridge but exit from the carpark to the South Circular for a short distance. Then turn off to Perry Hill/Woolstone Road/Perry Vale.

Or from Tower Bridge aim at Burgess Park and down the Surrey Canal to Peckham Rye staying east and over the railway via the ped/cycle bridge at the end of Brockey Way then wiggle your way south shadowing the railway. There are a few fire gates to approach with care with long loads.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2024, 08:57:26 pm »
I'd go London Bridge which has bus lanes and gives you more room than Tower Bridge.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #4 on: 21 March, 2024, 11:52:36 am »
If you're really stuck, and they're less than 2m in length (TfL luggage length max.) , stick them in the Merc and bring them to me here in Waltham Cross and I'll take them on the train with me.
I go past Finches every day (I worked for them, in fact, years ago when they had a haulage business alongside the ski/bike shop).

ETA - Actually, from your's it isn't that bad a journey by train from Manor Park to Forest Hill using the Liz line and the Ginger line.
The shop is directly opposite Forest Hill Station. 43 minutes station to station.
And, (I suspect) free for you if you do it after 09:30.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 21 March, 2024, 08:50:00 pm »
If you're really stuck, and they're less than 2m in length (TfL luggage length max.) , stick them in the Merc and bring them to me here in Waltham Cross and I'll take them on the train with me.

You can get 2.5m long things into a 2m long box.  Get the box from Pythagoras Packing Materials Ltd.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #6 on: 21 March, 2024, 09:05:42 pm »

You can get 2.5m long things into a 2m long box.  Get the box from Pythagoras Packing Materials Ltd.
Noted.
That could've saved me a £75.00 cab fare when I recently had to shift a tree lopper delivered to work destined for home. ::-)
Akshully - what is going wrong with the responses here?

« Reply #7 on: 22 March, 2024, 07:23:51 am »
Looks like Tim mislaid a [/quote]

« Reply #8 on: 22 March, 2024, 09:44:23 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, folk. The skis shouldn't be an impediment, they are 1.55 and should sit along the top tube, with a bit of luck. And thanks Jurek, I'm actually thinking of this as a fun outing - since retirement I'm a touch short of peregrinations with a point aside from local runs. Venturing into South London is an adventure .... I've heard there are BEARS  :D

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 22 March, 2024, 11:59:58 pm »
BEARS?  Bleedin' dragons, more like.  Sez so on the map, innit.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #10 on: 23 March, 2024, 12:04:49 am »
Bring your passport, mind

« Reply #11 on: 23 March, 2024, 08:34:59 am »
So, bring yer visa but leave yer MasterCard at home ?