Author Topic: Route created on cycle.travel - how to put onto a phone?  (Read 1513 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Route created on cycle.travel - how to put onto a phone?
« on: 24 April, 2016, 12:22:11 pm »
OK, I've used cycle.travel to create a route that works. But how do I get it onto a phone to use for turn-by-turn instructions?

I've got an android phone with Google maps (which would do) but I cannot work out how to export from cycle.travel and import to Google maps.

I'm happy to load additional apps if necessary.

Any advice gratefully received.

Re: Route created on cycle.travel - how to put onto a phone?
« Reply #1 on: 24 April, 2016, 03:43:52 pm »
Save the file from cycle.travel as a gpx track (not gpx route).  There are numerous android apps but typical good free ones are osmand or locus maps.  Both apps have a bit of a learning curve but the basic operation is to copy the gpx from your computer to the designated app directory on your phone, select the gpx from within  the app and then select the option to follow the gpx and do voice navigation.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2016, 04:40:34 pm »
To reiterate: You won't be using Google Maps to follow a pre-programmed route on your phone.  It's not designed for that.  It also likes to have a working internet connection, which is a Bad Thing when you're trying to navigate in GPRS land.

« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2016, 04:18:50 pm »
OK, I've used cycle.travel to create a route that works. But how do I get it onto a phone to use for turn-by-turn instructions?

I've got an android phone with Google maps (which would do) but I cannot work out how to export from cycle.travel and import to Google maps.

I'm happy to load additional apps if necessary.

Any advice gratefully received.

You can follow and navigate a track in osmand (download from google play and free offline UK mapping).  Download gpx file on PC from cycle.travel, connect phone to PC,  find gpx file in PC downloads, copy to phone osmand folder (e.g. on android SD card)>tracks>rec.  Learn how to use osmand - navigate track etc.  One downside is that osmand seems to be battery hungry.  (I download gpx to PC, bring into mapsource, send to Garmin etrex, follow track.)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2016, 04:43:57 pm »
Thanks for the tips.

I did once download osmand but found it hard to use. I'll get it again and persevere.

I have one of those external battery things for the phone (which is waterproof) so can cope with a bit of battery drain.

« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2016, 04:45:42 pm »
Alternatively create a route in ridewithgps on PC (or upload your cycle.travel gpx track into ridewithgps), download the ridewithgps app to your phone, find your route in the app and go "Ride this"*.  Haven't tested this though.

*edit.  to use route offline:  go to route and press download (red arrow), get this:

OOI may test a ridewgps route nav on commute.

edit.edit.  attempted to test at the w/e, alongside etrex, but gave it a miss after not working out what I was doing wrong.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson