Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 344649 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #1025 on: 21 May, 2020, 11:55:38 am »
With those changes at Strava my Veloviewer score is now zero! Not that I’m bothered by that, looking at segments was mildly interesting but I’m not a performance based athlete!

So as long the changes at Strava don’t impact on the VV tiles and squares, I won’t be subscribing. I have subscribed in the past.

Btw, love this thread, keep the tips coming!

Currently 17x17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #1026 on: 21 May, 2020, 01:33:19 pm »
This lack of a tiles overlay on Strava really is a blow for me, and might be a deal breaker as far as Veloviewer is concerned. 

It made plotting a route so much easier, and while it wasn't flawless, I've just discovered it certainly was a lot less prone to mistakes than changing between maps on a small laptop screen  :facepalm: .

I can get the same info from statshunters FOC.

I've got 6 months left on my current 'Pro' subscription, so will decide nearer the time
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #1027 on: 21 May, 2020, 02:08:43 pm »
Veloviewer is a strava plug-in, and their target audience is segment hunters. Us saddo tile baggers are a minority really, most folks are there for the faster-and-further stats.
I've already been peeved by a lack of segment timing- I wanted to guesstimate how long a route would take me by looking at my teammates times. I don't know if the peevishness will result in me coughing up for Strava. It's not like I actually use it- I barely follow anyone, and all my ride data is stored elsewhere.
As a Strava plug-in, VV is never going to join up with another route planner, best we can hope is he finds a developer who can make it play again.

« Reply #1028 on: 21 May, 2020, 03:19:06 pm »
The tiles overlay is clearly an issue. I have some adhoc code here that will create a GPX track replicating the unvisited tiles. I upload this to RWGPS and plan my route accordingly.

All it needs is the KML output by Veloviewer

If anybody wants a GPX created, I could give it a go (usual disclaimers apply)

« Reply #1029 on: 21 May, 2020, 04:27:37 pm »
The tiles overlay is clearly an issue. I have some adhoc code here that will create a GPX track replicating the unvisited tiles. I upload this to RWGPS and plan my route accordingly.

Interesting, you have an upload grid to RWGPS.  I've found that Garmin Basecamp will import the vv kml unbagged-tile file and display the grid.  One can export this as a gpx file, and in OSMand this uploads & displays as a single gpx grid, but in RWGPS the same gpx file separates out into individual squares 1.5x1.5km (so not that useful), and AFAIR is limited to an import of 20 squares.   The vv kml in basecamp is useful for track checking, but not really for routeplanning, although Basecamp does seem to have a  track adjustment tool.  ETA.  in basecamp joining all the individual square tracks doesn't work as one gets multiple diagonal lines going on.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1030 on: 21 May, 2020, 05:32:10 pm »
...in basecamp joining all the individual square tracks doesn't work as one gets multiple diagonal lines going on.

A bit further work is required to move and/or insert points to render squares. It's what I do, but I'd like an automated method.

« Reply #1031 on: 21 May, 2020, 07:48:18 pm »

I just used https://kml2gpx.com/ to do it.

(But this creates a GPX file with one GPX tracklog per unvisited tile and some sites don't like a GPX file with thousands of GPX tracks. I wrote my own scripts to find the outlines of the tiles and was going to extend it to draw the tiles using the minimum number of straight lines but never got around to it, that would have kept the number of GPX tracks in the GPX file to a minimum. If yours does this then that's great!)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1032 on: 21 May, 2020, 10:20:25 pm »
My tool creates one track for each contiguous set of tiles and has no diagonals - I wrote this a year or two ago and have no idea how I managed this !

Sadly, it's not in a very user friendly format to distribute...I may have to address that.  I would like to share a screenshot in RWGPS ... watch this space...

Edited to add link to image of RWGPS screen with several tracks loaded (not sure if this link will work !)...  https://flic.kr/p/2j4n6AJ

« Reply #1033 on: 21 May, 2020, 10:54:35 pm »
Aha, well done.

Mine just did the outline of each block and I never got as far as filling in the individual tile boundaries with minimal trackpoints.

There are a bunch of screenshots of the various stages of it (back in October 2018 in this thread): https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=108374.msg2334829#msg2334829

I had planned on redoing it in go/python and then sticking it up on a website somewhere (maybe free via heroku) but never got around to it.

« Reply #1034 on: 21 May, 2020, 11:13:31 pm »
My tool can also output a text representation of the KML file. For example (where Xs are visited)...

Code: [Select]
       ......X............X.                           
       ......XX..........XX..                         
     .XXX.....X..........XX...                         
   .X...XXXX.XXX..........X.X.XXXXX...X.XX........     
   .X.....XXXXXX..........XXXXX.......XXXXXXX.....     
   .X......XXX.XX..........XXX.............XX.....     
   X ......XXX..X..........XX...............XX....     
   X.......XXX..X.........XX.................X.....   
   XX......X.X..XX........X..................XXXXXXXX..
   XXXX...XXXX..XX........XXX.................X..X.  XX
   ...XX..XXXX.XXX........XXX.................X....XX..
   ....X.XXX.XXXXXXX......XXXXXX..............X....XX.X
   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX......X..XXXXX...XXXXXXXXXX....XX..
   XXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXX.....X......XXX.XXX..XXXXXX.... XX
   XXX.XXXX.XXXXXXXXXX....XX......XXXXXX...XXXXXX..XXX.
   XXXX.X.XX.XXXXXXXXX....XX.......XXXXX....X...XXXX...
   .XXXXX.X..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX...XX...XXXXX..
   ..X..XXX.XX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.X..XXXXXXXXX
   XXX..XX...X...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..XX...X
.XXXX...XX...XX...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX....X....X
.XXXXXX..XX..XXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX...XX
.X..X.XXXXXX..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXX..X.
.XX.XX.XXXXXX..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXX.
X X..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX...XX..
.XX..XX......XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.X.....X..
X XXXXX.XX..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XX.X.....XX.
X XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.X..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..X.XX......XX
X.X...XXXXXXXXXX.X...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX...X.X........X
XXX...X.X.XXXXXXXXX...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..XXXX........X
XXX..XXXXXX...XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..XXX..........
XX..XXXXXX.......XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX..XX...........
XX..X..XX.....XXXX.XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.X............
.XXXXXXX......XXX..XX.XXX.XXXXXXX.......XXX...........X
 XXXXX........X..XXXXXX.XXXX..XXXXX.....XXX.......... X
 .XXXXXX....XXX..X......XX....XX.XXX......XX.........X.
 XXX..XXXX.XX...XX.......X.....X.XXXX.....XX........   
 .XXXXXXXXXXX...X......XXX....XX..X.XX....XX.......   
 ....XXXXXXXXX..X...XXXX.X....XX..XX.XX...XX......     
 ....X..X..XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.....X...X..XXX..X......     
    .XXXX.X.XXXXX.XXXXXXXX.....XX.XX....X.........     
            XX .XXXXX.XXX.......X..XXXX.XX........     
            XX ..X.X.XX.........XX....XX.XX......     
            ..XXXXXXXX..........X......XX.X           
                    ............XX......X..           

You can then do some "what if" planning by modifying the text and recalculating the new max square and cluster.

It has been limited to my squares, but I'd happily run it against any other KML in an attempt to break it

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1035 on: 22 May, 2020, 03:09:11 pm »

Before you all get too creative in your new methods, this from Veloviewer:

https://twitter.com/VeloViewer/status/1263833888427835394

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #1036 on: 22 May, 2020, 03:33:42 pm »
Good news, but I've never bothered with the route VV plug-in route planner thing so I'm unaffected by the recent problems.

The thing R_gner and I did independently was not for that, but to be able to use any other route planning software that can take a GPX file of unvisited tiles. Personally I prefer gpxeditor.co.uk but everyone has their own preference.

« Reply #1037 on: 22 May, 2020, 05:17:40 pm »

Before you all get too creative in your new methods, this from Veloviewer:

https://twitter.com/VeloViewer/status/1263833888427835394

J

That sounds promising. I don't do much twitter, but I'm following them now ! Thanks Q

« Reply #1038 on: 22 May, 2020, 05:20:54 pm »
Good news, but I've never bothered with the route VV plug-in route planner thing so I'm unaffected by the recent problems.

The thing R_gner and I did independently was not for that, but to be able to use any other route planning software that can take a GPX file of unvisited tiles. Personally I prefer gpxeditor.co.uk but everyone has their own preference.

The multi-tile GPXs can be imported into GPXEditor too - but you need a subscription to load more than one track (I like GPXE, but marginally prefer RWGPS for its ability to group routes into events...paid for too !)

« Reply #1039 on: 22 May, 2020, 05:46:20 pm »

The multi-tile GPXs can be imported into GPXEditor too - but you need a subscription to load more than one track (I like GPXE, but marginally prefer RWGPS for its ability to group routes into events...paid for too !)

Yep, and the reason GPXEditor is nice and responsive when you do upload a GPX file with thousands of tracks in it is because Ben T did a load of work a few years ago to make it much faster when I tried to upload such files.

Some other sites fall to pieces when you upload a GPX file with 1500 individual tracks in it.

« Reply #1040 on: 22 May, 2020, 09:49:59 pm »
Although route planning in Basecamp is not as refined as some of the online route planners, I have found that its usable with a bit of time spent learning the routing logic of the chosen mapset and the required adjustments of the routing profile.  I tend to use it to plan a looped route through just the target tiles for a ride and then use cycle.travel to plan a route to the entry point of that loop.  I then load both gpx files into Oruxmaps, and merge the 2 routes.  I also have my VV KML file loaded into Oruxmaps as an overlay which gives an extra level of confidence and the ability to pick off any unplanned tiles on the fly.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #1041 on: 23 May, 2020, 11:04:07 am »
I've realised how much I used the vv plugin in Strava routeplanner on Google.  So for now, in the absence of a combined osm/tile grid and routeplanner, I'll revert to having two browser windows open side by side, one with vv activities OS map, and the other with RwGPS routeplanner.  Then check in Basecamp, on the unbagged tile grid kml import.

« Reply #1042 on: 23 May, 2020, 11:39:47 am »
I've realised how much I used the vv plugin in Strava routeplanner on Google.  So for now, in the absence of a combined osm/tile grid and routeplanner, I'll revert to having two browser windows open side by side, one with vv activities OS map, and the other with RwGPS routeplanner.  Then check in Basecamp, on the unbagged tile grid kml import.

The offer is still open... if you are happy to send your Veloviewer KML then I will create the GPX tracks for you to use in RWGPS

« Reply #1043 on: 23 May, 2020, 11:43:43 am »
You can still see your strava routes overlayed with your bagged/unbagged squares in veloviewer.
Go to the routes tab and filter on your route name.  It's not as slick as the strava /chrome /VV plugin.  But it'll do me until/if a new strava plugin comes along.
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #1044 on: 23 May, 2020, 07:26:13 pm »

The offer is still open... if you are happy to send your Veloviewer KML then I will create the GPX tracks for you to use in RWGPS

Thanks.  I have a few pre-planned rides sitting in Strava routes ready to ride, so am good to go for a bit.   :)

« Reply #1045 on: 23 May, 2020, 07:50:15 pm »
Just had a quick play with https://brouter.de/brouter-web and it looks promising.  <Load>, <Tracks>, <Your VV .kml file> puts your required tiles on a map and you can start clicking away to produce an editable route.  There are multiple routing options and I think that you can fine tune them too.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1046 on: 23 May, 2020, 08:11:48 pm »
Brouter is very good for velomobile riders as it has an option for us which avoids Silly Sustrans Gates etc.

I don’t find the interface that great but my partner uses it all the time and loves it.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1047 on: 23 May, 2020, 11:22:52 pm »
Just had a quick play with https://brouter.de/brouter-web and it looks promising.  <Load>, <Tracks>, <Your VV .kml file> puts your required tiles on a map and you can start clicking away to produce an editable route.  There are multiple routing options and I think that you can fine tune them too.

Thanks for that, looks good.  Easy to display unbagged tile vv kml grid, then construct track over it, and export.    :)

ETA.  as usual worth double checking for inadvertent off-road routing selections...

« Reply #1048 on: 24 May, 2020, 06:01:52 pm »
Thanks for the heads-up on Brouter.  I'd not heard of that one before.  I used it succesfully for the first time today although I did import the route into RWGPS as a double check.

Last weekends ride to Cornhill for coffee increased my total tiles by 3 to 9999, and my cluster by 8 to 669,

Yesterday's local off-road venture into the wind got me over the 10k mark to 10002 tiles.  Unfortunately I missed 3 tiles which would have got me to 18x18, but i couldn't face the headwind to go back for them.   I'll get these another day.

I headed a bit further north on today's Border Raid, and picked up 4 tiles, increasing my cluster by 10 to 699 / 10006 tiles
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #1049 on: 28 May, 2020, 02:53:42 pm »
Strava app has been updated!  :thumbsup:
@CorbieLinnRider