Author Topic: Air bags /appliance shifting  (Read 409 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Air bags /appliance shifting
« on: 07 April, 2024, 06:05:21 pm »
Anyone used any of those air wedge inflatable bags and been able to use them to help shift a washing machine? Or are they for propping up only?
We have vinyl flooring, wondering if using these in combination with an old towel (or those appliance ski thingys) would help us shift it out from under the counter.

ETA: actually come to think of it, such things will probably come in handy for levelling the base of our leaning shed...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Air bags /appliance shifting
« Reply #1 on: 07 April, 2024, 07:06:34 pm »
If you have smooth flooring just open the door of the machine so you can grip the rim of the aperture - and pull!  Most machines are on smooth skid-like feet and once they get started will move easily. Slipping a sheet of corrugated cardboard (flttened out box) under the feet will help the machine to slide.

I can't see the inflatable things being any use other than to just lift something (and you have to lever whatever it is up a bit to get the unflated bag underneath first)

« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2024, 07:37:15 pm »
When JL delivered our washing machine they had 2 strips of very smooth plastic a couple of mm thick that they used to slide the machine’s feet along. Look for appliance skis on Amazon.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2024, 08:43:59 pm »
When it comes to lifting heavy domestic items, avail yourself of some 50mm wide webbing (like seat belt).
Wrap this around the wrists of a pair of lifters and run the rest beneath the item to be lifted.
JLP used this method to deliver my fridge-freezer.
It makes surprisingly easy work of what would otherwise be grunt.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2024, 09:05:16 pm »
If you have smooth flooring just open the door of the machine so you can grip the rim of the aperture - and pull!  Most machines are on smooth skid-like feet and once they get started will move easily. Slipping a sheet of corrugated cardboard (flttened out box) under the feet will help the machine to slide.

I can't see the inflatable things being any use other than to just lift something (and you have to lever whatever it is up a bit to get the unflated bag underneath first)

WM feet tend to sink into vinyl flooring, so it needs careful extrication so as not to rip the floor.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2024, 02:49:43 pm »
Well I bought a couple of airbags and the appliance skis but didn't need the bags in the end as the skis worked well.

« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2024, 04:48:31 pm »
My reply got lost in the Great Reset.

I've had success using a couple of bits of hardboard. Smooth side down on the floor, get it under appliance, slide. If appliance slides over hardboard, slide it onto the next piece.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2024, 05:01:14 pm »
Our old Miele was permanently stood on a piece of hardboard at the old place, but that was a super heavy bastard to move (which is why we left it there).