Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2962860 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #22025 on: 14 January, 2020, 12:25:58 pm »
It's dark here, init.
It is simpler than it looks.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #22026 on: 14 January, 2020, 01:38:47 pm »
Oi.  Weather.  For fuck's sake!
You and me both.  The wife just caught an Anglo Saxon flavoured rant from me, not aimed at her but at no-one in particular, but she caught the collateral.  I'm heartily sick of this winter - perpetual rain, mud up to the eyeballs, the dog needs washing most days after his big walk.  Just been out for #2 dog walk of the day (of 3 or 4) over the local footpaths and fields and I'm sodding wet again from the bottom of my rain jacket to the top of my wellies.  Bah!

I'm a geologist, it's time we in the geo-community dug up the UK, or at least England, and had it towed 1000 miles south to get some better weather.  Plate tectonics is far too slow a process.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22028 on: 16 January, 2020, 03:47:21 pm »
See also thread in 'Camping it Up'.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22029 on: 16 January, 2020, 08:05:35 pm »

Oi.  Weather.  For fuck's sake!

Quite! I went out for a walk this evening not realising quite how much weather was happening, then sat in the cinema for two hours watching 1917 whilst drying
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22030 on: 24 January, 2020, 08:33:25 am »
Orange.fr, may your teeth rot and your eyes regard each other without your nose getting in the way. In fact, damn your budgie to Tartarus and your crotch to the pickle-jar, your grandma to Halifax and your left ear to superglue and a railway-line.

This because I have just spent half an hour on your wretched, seaweed-entangled web-site before finally unearthing the procedure to cancel a mobile phone contract in the basement of a planning office on an asteroid orbiting Alpha Centauri's left nipple.  On the way, an inadvertent click might have condemned me to permanent bombardment with Madonna's greatest hits or the collected orations of François Mitterand, or opened up the wonders of the Fnac's underwear subscription service for the Whole Family, but once I got there the way to the final Button of Severance was tortuous and strewn with stoppit-i-didn't-mean-it trapdoors.

But now 'tis done, dust, dead and forgotten byebye. I need another cuppa.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #22031 on: 24 January, 2020, 12:39:15 pm »
Orange.fr, may your teeth rot and your eyes regard each other without your nose getting in the way. In fact, damn your budgie to Tartarus and your crotch to the pickle-jar, your grandma to Halifax and your left ear to superglue and a railway-line.

This because I have just spent half an hour on your wretched, seaweed-entangled web-site before finally unearthing the procedure to cancel a mobile phone contract in the basement of a planning office on an asteroid orbiting Alpha Centauri's left nipple.  On the way, an inadvertent click might have condemned me to permanent bombardment with Madonna's greatest hits or the collected orations of François Mitterand, or opened up the wonders of the Fnac's underwear subscription service for the Whole Family, but once I got there the way to the final Button of Severance was tortuous and strewn with stoppit-i-didn't-mean-it trapdoors.

But now 'tis done, dust, dead and forgotten byebye. I need another cuppa.

See also: One Call Insurance.  Yes, I do want fairly basic fully comp car insurance; no, I don't want all the other shitty upselling things that you make me reject before I can finally click through and pay...

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #22032 on: 26 January, 2020, 08:23:16 pm »
Oh, on a similar theme currently shouted several times daily: "No, I don't want notifications. I'm doing something else. Fuck off!" Usually at YouTube mainstream media channels that I haven't subscribed to.

Only I've just remembered that last week my laptop did something truly evil. After dealing with the fallout of supposedly ignoring someone for several hours Adobe chirps up with "Here are the notifications we hid from you while you were working!" And I had been working for several hours because the same sodding update that surreptitiously introduced a guardian to protect me from my own social media had also severely hobbled whatever rodent it is that powers this thing.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #22033 on: 05 February, 2020, 01:53:32 pm »
Dear woman in the swimming pool the reason I am touching your feet is because I want to pass you. Read the damn rules, will you?

ian

« Reply #22034 on: 05 February, 2020, 02:25:14 pm »
Touching feet? Seriously? That's a death penalty offence. I would murder you. Right there in the pool. With a shark.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22035 on: 05 February, 2020, 06:19:04 pm »
Touching feet? Seriously? That's a death penalty offence. I would murder you. Right there in the pool. With a shark.

My ex touched my feet once...  It didn't end well.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22036 on: 05 February, 2020, 07:42:04 pm »
I thought it was my MS that made my feet extra-sensitive and made me HATE having my feet touched.
Maybe it isn't!

« Reply #22037 on: 05 February, 2020, 07:49:46 pm »
Who would be a chiropodist heh? Sounds like they need danger money and PPE.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22038 on: 05 February, 2020, 08:22:59 pm »
I think firm, expected touch is OK. We walk around and only complain about our shoes when they're too tight or there's a stone etc.

Light and unexpected/uninvited touch is awful.

ian

« Reply #22039 on: 05 February, 2020, 08:39:04 pm »
I've been swimming for decades and I've never heard of touching people's feet. If you want to overtake, overtake. I don't want my feet being touching and I have no wish to touch other people's feet (that's the worst thing about summer – toe-horror! –at least in winter everything is packaged away in boots and shoes).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #22040 on: 05 February, 2020, 08:52:46 pm »
Don't lane swimmers have situational awareness nowadays? It's decades since I was lane swimming but I used to swim a lot. (I would think little of 50 x 33 metre lengths before work.)

I can't recall ever touching another's feet or feeling the need to do this. I can't recall having my feet touched either. I was usually fairly well-matched with others in my lane speed-wise so there was little need to overtake. I was always looking out for other swimmers and I think they were too. There might have been 'fast' 'medium' as 'slow' lanes; I really can't remember.

ian

« Reply #22041 on: 05 February, 2020, 09:06:54 pm »
My local pool has one wide lane for laps*, so there's generally room to overtake, it's the just the people who insist on swimming one centimetre from the middle of the lane that get my goat. It's always the same ones who don't let you turn at the ends either. That's why I have the shark in the first place.

The lanes at Crystal Palace where I also swim are relatively wide, there's room for one person to overtake, and generally speeds are well matched (there's usually one slow, two medium lanes, and one fast). I think the 50m length sends most of the dabblers to the kids/training pool.

Thirty-three metre pools must be rare these days – the only one I remember is Ladywell (now no more, knocked down to sell off the land to developers, replaced with the generic one in Lewisham). Bit of an odd length, but I quite liked them. I always find 25m too short. It was the Ladywell pool that got me back on a bike, to avoid the walk there and back each lunchtime.

*they do slow/med/fast lanes in the morning and late evenings, but I mostly avoid as they're narrow, full of OAPs, and I can't be bothered getting up that early.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #22042 on: 07 February, 2020, 12:55:01 pm »
Overall, I've been surprised by the level of kindness and friendliness I've encountered during my brief stay in London.

Things haven't gone quite as planned and I'm engaging in the surreal side of things at the moment in order to keep my equilibrium - but my god, there are some people in corporate 'gate keeper' roles that really aren't suited to public service as I understand it.

Today is several hours longer after the following exchange:

G: You must go to your embassy.

Me: But I'm a British citizen.

G: Then go to the British Embassy.

At which point the shutters came down.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #22043 on: 07 February, 2020, 09:05:05 pm »
Dear fucking god. Surely, surely it can't be beyond the wit of man to fathom that someone deprived of their passport minutes before leaving the country may have been deprived of their mobile phone at the same time. Fifteen hours of bureaucratic torture, of repeated visits to offices to arrange phonecalls and e-mails that may possibly allow me to get back home some 48 or 76 hours worth of expensive 24 hour care later than planned and you send me an e-mail saying that we are back to square one because I didn't answer a mobile phone that I DON'T FUCKING HAVE.

The service from the people that work at HM Passport Office has been incredible, but the system is fucked almost as much as the Metropolitan Police. Again, fantastic experiences with the officers but I can't see any valid explanation for how the service is delivered other than to limit the public's access.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #22044 on: 07 February, 2020, 09:23:10 pm »
I'm not able to work out exactly what you're going through, but it sounds distressing.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22045 on: 07 February, 2020, 09:27:39 pm »
Wot she said.^^
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #22046 on: 07 February, 2020, 09:57:38 pm »
Sorry, naturally gnomic, while using precious connection time to juggle various communications trying to sort this and deal with the fall-out.

Basically, I'm a UK national living in France. The very moment that I began my return home from a brief stay in London I found that my passport was gone.

As a UK national stuck in the UK I don't have access to the emergency procedures that I would if I were a foreign national stuck here or a UK national stranded abroad. If you do not have a mobile phone none of the mechanisms for access to a replacement passport are available.

The met police are behind a firewall. The passport service demands I get a response from the police.

I'm the sole carer for my step-father who requires 24 hour care.

My first break in several years.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #22047 on: 07 February, 2020, 10:28:19 pm »
Sorry benborp, I hope you can get sorted and out of the 7th circle of hell soon.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22048 on: 07 February, 2020, 10:31:57 pm »
this seems typically the opposite of a colleague of mine who simply lost his second passport

"no problem, just let us know if you find it"

I always thought there was a temporary travel document provision, but I assume from your post that this is designed for you being passportless in foreign places. 

Really hope it works out
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #22049 on: 07 February, 2020, 10:51:08 pm »
Is there any way London-based folk can assist you?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...