Author Topic: 3d photos of Old Japan  (Read 3552 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
3d photos of Old Japan
« on: 03 January, 2010, 03:32:51 pm »
Now this is really cool: Animated stereoviews of old Japan ::: Pink Tentacle

They're stereographs taken during the Meiji period, hand-coloured and presented as animated gifs.  The animating gives a similar 3d effect to bobbing your head from side to side (it works for one-eyed people too!). 

(The Meiji is roughly equivalent to the Victorian over here: you've got olde traditions going slap bang up against modern stuff like steam and photography and market economics, so there was a lot of cool stuff going on)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Re: 3d photos of Old Japan
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2010, 03:41:19 pm »
 8)

No belly dancers.  :(
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2 on: 04 January, 2010, 08:30:05 am »
I like the second picture. What were those girls thinking!!!??? You want to shout "Pull up Jean, you're going to crash!"
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #3 on: 04 January, 2010, 11:15:11 am »
I like the one of the two geisha with bottles of beer. A modern, western product . . .

Ueno park has changed. It's now filled with museums & Tokyo zoo. It's right next to the station where one catches the train to the suburb where Mrs Bs mother & sister live, so I've often been there.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897