Author Topic: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)  (Read 2962299 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The RANT thread (often contains fruity language)
« Reply #22100 on: 16 February, 2020, 09:24:46 am »
At last, the rain has stopped for now.

Still, the bedroom's in a state, the spare room's also not an option (I've been building bookshelves in there) so tonight we shall be camping on an airbed in the living room!

...and now the bedroom's in even more of a state, because part of the ceiling has fallen in. :facepalm:

Criikey. Sympathies.  Hope you at least managed to sleep OK.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #22101 on: 19 February, 2020, 08:44:35 am »
The British Canoe Union have negotiated access to waterways for their members. Some of this access agreement involves hard cash.

Waterways through Cambridge are controlled by an ancient body called the 'Cam Conservators'.

They have just decided to apply individual licensing to all boats, including kayaks. Rejected negotiations.

The license for a rowing 8 (16m long) will be £76.

The license for a racing kayak (5.2m long) will be £102.

A little plastic kayak will cost you £51 per year.

Fucking pricks are just trying to block access through the centre of cambridge, keep it for tourists on punts (the rowing 8s don't go on that bit).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #22102 on: 19 February, 2020, 09:21:10 am »
The British Canoe Union have negotiated access to waterways for their members. Some of this access agreement involves hard cash.

Waterways through Cambridge are controlled by an ancient body called the 'Cam Conservators'.

They have just decided to apply individual licensing to all boats, including kayaks. Rejected negotiations.

The license for a rowing 8 (16m long) will be £76.

The license for a racing kayak (5.2m long) will be £102.

A little plastic kayak will cost you £51 per year.

Fucking pricks are just trying to block access through the centre of cambridge, keep it for tourists on punts (the rowing 8s don't go on that bit).

The punt hire companies are getting charged an annual fee for being an RMO plus a fee of £121 per punt per annum. 

If you have a license through the British Canoe Union, then you can apply for an Cam Conservators Annual Visitors License - which is £12.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #22103 on: 19 February, 2020, 09:38:47 am »
Really? you think so?
I had considered that, Reg. The conservators are demanding proof of a specific river license. They've already blocked negotiations with the BCU.
Plus, a 'visitor' license is for visitors; it won't work for those located in the city. I'm out of the city, so I could register elsewhere.

Plus, how is that supposed to work for a club that has over 100 boats? The Conservators are demanding a license per boat, not per user.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

« Reply #22104 on: 19 February, 2020, 10:22:47 am »
Really? you think so?
I had considered that, Reg. The conservators are demanding proof of a specific river license. They've already blocked negotiations with the BCU.

Their application form for registration doesn't actually ask for evidence of a specific river license.  It ask for proof of insurance.

If you're a member of Canoe England/British Canoeing then:

"Members of Canoe England are permitted access without payment of additional fees under the terms of a block licence. Canoe England members must produce a valid membership card when requested to do so by an authorised officer of the Conservancy." (see part 3(c))

Plus, a 'visitor' license is for visitors; it won't work for those located in the city. I'm out of the city, so I could register elsewhere.

'Visitor' isn't actually defined in the rules.  It appears to apply to anyone who isn't registered with the Conservators:

"The owner of any vessel which is not registered with the Conservancy may purchase an annual visitor licence in order to visit the Cam Conservancy Area."

I note that 'Conservancy Based Vessel' is limited to power driven vessels.

Plus, how is that supposed to work for a club that has over 100 boats? The Conservators are demanding a license per boat, not per user.

Clubs can apply for RMO status and get a block license:

"Block Licences: a Block Licence is a single licence issued to a specific entity such as a club, boating organisation or boathouse under which all vessels described within that licence are registered."

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #22105 on: 19 February, 2020, 10:40:26 am »
Is it a navigable river in historic terms? Then my understanding is that you have a legal right of passage.

A mass paddle of all 100 boats plus friends on a busy Saturday will soon produce action.

Regulator

« Reply #22106 on: 19 February, 2020, 11:02:04 am »
Is it a navigable river in historic terms? Then my understanding is that you have a legal right of passage.

A mass paddle of all 100 boats plus friends on a busy Saturday will soon produce action.

The Cam Conservancy and its powers are established by Acts of Parliament.

You do not have a legal right of passage on all navigable rivers (or all parts of them) - only some of them. 

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #22107 on: 19 February, 2020, 11:34:27 am »
Amazing, Reg. You aren't involved in the negotiations, a member of the Cam Conservators, or, to my knowledge, recipient of the communications between the Cambridge Canoe Club and the Cam Conservators.

But you know more than me.

I am involved. A friend is a member sits on the board of the Cam Conservators. I'm a member of the Cambridge Canoe Club. I've discussed the negotiations with the people making those negotiations. I've received the official notification messages from the BCU.

This event is something that makes me very angry. I have a way of legally working around it. Many of my acquaintances, including junior racing paddlers who are very serious competitors, do not.

Please don't come in with half-informed opinions and annoy me further.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Regulator

« Reply #22108 on: 19 February, 2020, 11:39:28 am »
We've been looking into this as we were considering getting a houseboat and we had the offer of a mooring from Cambridge City Council.

You obviously have a view but I've linked to the published information.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #22109 on: 19 February, 2020, 11:58:57 am »
We've been looking into this as we were considering getting a houseboat and we had the offer of a mooring from Cambridge City Council.

You obviously have a view but I've linked to the published information.
It isn't that I have a view, I have access to information that you don't have. This isn't about houseboats.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #22110 on: 20 February, 2020, 04:01:54 pm »
Charly
I apologise for my comments above if they upset you.  i used to kayak whitwater and was involved in a few petitions, etc on welsh and english rivers and at one time had read most of the literature on access including the Rev Caffyn. 
best wishes

Davef

« Reply #22111 on: 20 February, 2020, 04:47:25 pm »
It certainly would have scuppered me. I had an old racing kayak that I kept on top of the bike sheds when I was at Queens’ but had no transport so all my journeys started and ended on the cam in the middle of town.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #22112 on: 21 February, 2020, 08:34:48 am »
It certainly would have scuppered me. I had an old racing kayak that I kept on top of the bike sheds when I was at Queens’ but had no transport so all my journeys started and ended on the cam in the middle of town.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yup, plenty of people who have an old cheap boat and paddle summer-only, or a couple of times a week; they aren't going to shell out over £100 quid and would find it difficult to register elsewhere.
I live downstream of Bottisham lock, so can legitimately register with EA (£43 for the entire east anglia region), then get a visitor pass.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #22113 on: 01 March, 2020, 07:10:53 pm »
Met Office!  Yer feckin' useless!  Are you just looking out the window and updating our forecast as it happens, as that's what it seems like.  Today was "sunny intervals all day, less than 5% chance of precipitation", whereas the reality was that it has been hailing and raining for at least half the day, and yesterday's was even worse, as the "may have a 30% chance of light rain for an hour or two", was actually a blizzard for several hours.  Are they deliberately doing crap forecasts just so they can ask for more money for an even bigger computer?  Just looking at the satellite imagery would give us a better idea than they seem to manage.

A while back their forecast for us said no chance of rain at all (while it was pissing down), and a quick squint at their own satellite imaging shows a bloody great rain storm right over us.  Don't they even look at their own information?

And don't get me started on the inconsistencies between their PC website and the mobile app.  How come my village is available on the app, yet none of the local villages appear on the website, and I have to go with a town 7 miles away, which is also about 120 metres lower, and has completely different weather much of the time.

I don't recall that when they became an independent organisation rather than a Govt Dept (or was it a quango?) them handing back the taxpayers money used to set it up.  Yet they refuse to give long range forecast information to local authorities who want to use it to protect vulnerable people.  Bastards.

Grr!
Wombat

« Reply #22114 on: 02 March, 2020, 09:09:17 am »
Are you just looking out the window and updating our forecast as it happens,

Where I live, they don't even do that. I frequently find that the forecast (for right now) is for sunshine when I'm looking out of the window at torrential rain for miles around. I think everyone in North Wales just accepts that forecasting is terrible here.

« Reply #22115 on: 02 March, 2020, 09:29:25 am »
Similar in the North Pennines.
We look west, look east, take an average and hope

« Reply #22116 on: 02 March, 2020, 12:15:22 pm »
Are you just looking out the window and updating our forecast as it happens,

Where I live, they don't even do that. I frequently find that the forecast (for right now) is for sunshine when I'm looking out of the window at torrential rain for miles around. I think everyone in North Wales just accepts that forecasting is terrible here.

North Wales is the spiritual home of the rain cloud so forecasting should be pretty easy  ;D

Not far away from you I find that checking the actual weather in Ireland and assuming something similar will arrive in 6 to 12 hours works fairly well.*

* Obs not in an easterly airflow
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #22117 on: 02 March, 2020, 03:17:54 pm »
For both of you above, it just dawned on me my profile info still said "leafy suburbia", whereas I live in very rural Powys these days (not a million miles from Llanfair Caereinion).  I've updated it.
Wombat

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #22118 on: 05 March, 2020, 05:33:40 pm »
Parcelfarce.  If you think I'm going to do a 100-mile round trip to my "local depot" to pick up a £17 parcel, you can FRO.  Swindon has almost 180,000 residents and used to have a depot of its own, you cost-cutting bastards.  Basingstoke is two counties away.

Edit: a pound to deliver it to the post office!  Was free until recently, you fuckers.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #22119 on: 06 March, 2020, 11:02:59 am »
I have now with a couple of couriers who failed to follow instructions asked for my money back from the original company or asked them to send a repeat item by a different courier.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22120 on: 06 March, 2020, 04:34:01 pm »
So lucky that my local depot is less than half a mile away! It's even in the somewhat traditional location of opposite a railway station.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #22121 on: 15 March, 2020, 10:23:37 am »
Fucking cunting banks fucking pack it the fuck in with turning off fucking paper fucking statements.  LEAVE MY SETTINGS THE FUCK ALONE you shitting pissweasels.  You can stop sending me the paper statements I pay for when you give me a discount greater than or equal to the cost of printing them myself. Or when hell freezes over, whichever comes first.

Environote: These are company accounts, I have to present them to the accountant, annotations are frequently used.  I and my accountant are both a long, long way off ready to switch to 100% electronic submissions.  Given the sheer joy that is PDF markup I cannot see it happening soon.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #22122 on: 15 March, 2020, 11:35:04 am »
More fucking bank idiocy here. Applied for a company bank account with HSBC. Yesterday got an incomprehensible voicemail from and Indian call centre saying I’d made a couple of minor errors, and would need to do a complete new application  >:(. And this morning a generic email offering advice on credit scoring and loans. Cockweasels. I shall research banks with UK call centres. Not the guys fault obvs, but it really was impossible to understand him, and the inability to accept corrections pissed me right off.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #22123 on: 15 March, 2020, 11:57:55 am »
Gave up on the mainstream banks decades ago due to their arrogance and total lack of customer empathy.

For my business I moved to the Co-operative Bank, and still have a personal account with Smile, their online bank. Due to their cutback on services, such as no longer processing foreign cheques, now have a second personal account with Metro Bank. The latter have had some corporate problems, but customer service is still good. Between the two, my needs are met.

« Reply #22124 on: 15 March, 2020, 12:17:36 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking of giving the Co-Op or Yorkshire a go.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)