Linked Events

• Friday Night Ride to Tan Hill 2013 from Northallerton: 05 July, 2013

Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to Tan Hill - Northallerton, July 5th 2013  (Read 37194 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: Friday Night Ride to Tan Hill - Northallerton, July 5th 2013
« Reply #350 on: 07 July, 2013, 07:49:52 am »
It was _lovely_ to see so many people enjoying the sunshine at Tan Hill - and huge thanks to LindaG for joining in a SB(less)A to get there, and a cracking good time either side of it.

A last minute inspired-by-glorious-weather plan meant that Cubs had great fun pitching a tent

of positively palatial proportions

After the bulk of the group disappeared off towards Darlo, we were waved of by the Kirkby Stephen bound riders and then went waterfall chasing and park visiting and ice cream eating

So although Not Riding to Tan Hill wasn't quite the same as Actually Riding to Tan Hill, it was nonetheless a perfectly splendid Silly Bikeless Adventure and a real treat to catch up with so many people over a jolly fine breakfast!

« Reply #351 on: 07 July, 2013, 08:10:34 am »
Thanks everyone  especially Deano for organising the whole thing - that was a great ride. Perfect weather and the scenery was lovely. Apologies for holding up the whole group by getting a puncture quite early on (but thanks to mrcharly for taking over repair duties far more competently than I could have done, and mcshroom for holding up my bike!)

With the ride up from York, I did about 132 miles in total, which is my longest ride for a while. Was glad to get home and sleep!

My photos are here.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #352 on: 07 July, 2013, 08:50:57 am »
I take it back - bastards, the lot of you.

As for midges, they're something I take reasonably seriously.  Hives are merely itchy and unpleasant, but the inevitable scratching the skin (usually around my ankles) raw in my sleep can be a more serious problem, especially if it gets infected.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #353 on: 07 July, 2013, 09:08:24 am »
Great photos phantasmagoriana.  The Bins Have Eyes.  Another great indie film title.

« Reply #354 on: 07 July, 2013, 09:11:25 am »
They have eyes, but no mouth!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #355 on: 07 July, 2013, 09:23:43 am »

;D

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #356 on: 07 July, 2013, 09:27:13 am »
Sorry Jane, that I didn't introduce myself.

It was, indeed me, that rode home and got you a wheel.

Glad that it meant you could enjoy such a fantastic ride.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #357 on: 07 July, 2013, 09:28:22 am »
Last night, as we drove back from our audax for me to return to familial duties, Chris said "I'm glad we had a really good ride, I makes me feel less bad about missing Tan Hill". "yeah," I agreed.

I've changed my mind. I shouldn't have looked at this thread. I hate you all.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #358 on: 07 July, 2013, 09:42:22 am »

You did introduce yourself, or Deano introduced you.  It was me, at that point not really being in full mental working order that wasn't able to process information at that point.  Stressed and tired then.  But the ride cured all that.  So double thanks.  I shall have to think of some suitable acknowledgement of your kindness.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #359 on: 07 July, 2013, 09:47:14 am »
Last night, on arriving back in London, dirty sweaty and tired,  I turned down a ride to Leigh on Sea with some mates today. Woke up this morning feeling fine (nicked that line), rang them to say, great idea, where shall we meet.  Guess what? One of them has hay fever, so they are going on the train.  Diddums, I say.  Get on that bike and ride out the snot and streaming eyes. 
Oh, well.  I will just have to sit in the garden and drink cold Prosecco all day.  Life's so hard sometimes.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #360 on: 07 July, 2013, 10:00:25 am »
I seem to have acquired an extra inner tube.  I have a vague memory of someone giving it to me early on in the evening.  I don't know why, I already had two. Outside the pub?  I don't remember who it was, I'm afraid and I think I just took it without offering any reimbursement, not even a pint.  I am not normally that rude, honest.  So, whoever you are, sorry, thankyou and how much do I owe you?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #361 on: 07 July, 2013, 10:04:06 am »
That was a wonderful ride. I got home last night around 9 p.m., drank beer, at curry, slumped in a chair, woke up around midnight, had a shower and then went to bed. I just wish I had slept longer. I will try to gather some thought together at some stage but for the moment, tea.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #362 on: 07 July, 2013, 10:17:24 am »

As I prepare to go to work (the thick end of 10 hours entombed in a f8888king hoooooge frozen food warehouse @ minus 25 degrees C) on this gloriously sunny hot day I have decided that this

Crinkly Pride & LG excluded of course :-*

is the most pertinent comment on the thread.

jealously rooles OK

« Reply #363 on: 07 July, 2013, 10:28:51 am »
jealously rooles OK
Here, too! It sounds like a magical ride. Next year!

« Reply #364 on: 07 July, 2013, 10:34:45 am »
Thanks, everyone.  When I did Tan Hill as a newcomer to the forum in 2011 it was one of the highlights of my cycling (and social) life.  I'm realy glad you all had the hoped-for great time.  I also had a lovely day out riding and helping on an Audax in the Peaks but it was a calendar change that made the dates clash.  I hope it doesn't happen again - the clash, I mean.

It just occurred to me to start an alphabetical list of Great Dales:-

Arkengarth, Barbon, Cover, Dent, E, Farn, Gars....

Suggestions?

Thanks again

Uncle Peter

tiermat

« Reply #365 on: 07 July, 2013, 10:36:17 am »
jealously rooles OK
Here, too! It sounds like a magical ride. Next year!

Hope so! I might actually a) make it to the start and b) then make it all the way to Tan Hill*

*one DNS due to Dave Grohl and two DNFs due to domestic issues.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #366 on: 07 July, 2013, 10:36:49 am »
Fanfekinbikeridinfriendmeetingbeerdrinkinfullmontyeatinsunbathingmigieswattinoffroadintastic.

Cheers for arranging another brilliant ride Deano. Thanks to everyone else for turning up and making it great.

I even got a free ride home on the train ;D

Off out to Stockton Cycling Festival now, where Shyumu is prostituting himself in the name of audax.

tiermat

« Reply #367 on: 07 July, 2013, 11:59:21 am »

You did introduce yourself, or Deano introduced you.  It was me, at that point not really being in full mental working order that wasn't able to process information at that point.  Stressed and tired then.  But the ride cured all that.  So double thanks.  I shall have to think of some suitable acknowledgement of your kindness.

Don't worry about it, the fact you were able to take part in, and complete possibly the best ride of the year is recompense enough for me.

I shall put your original rear wheel in my car today and tame it down to my digs. Once we can organise practical things like swapping over parts I shall getit to wherever it needs to go.

« Reply #368 on: 07 July, 2013, 12:34:43 pm »
Looks like you guys had a fabulous time and I'm really miffed that I couldn't get the logistics right and join the fun.    :(

Deano, if you're doing the ride again next year could you pleeeeeeeease pick a date early and whack it in the calendar so I can work logistics around my planned Shetland tour?    8)   :D

« Reply #369 on: 07 July, 2013, 01:23:18 pm »
What an experience! Many thanks to lots of people including Deano, Mrs Miggins, Loadsabikes, Slow Coach, Mr Charly and everyone else, (just for being everyone else). A few low res phone pics. There is a group photo out there somewhere.

Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #370 on: 07 July, 2013, 02:04:32 pm »
Your collection's incomplete, Canardly ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #371 on: 07 July, 2013, 03:17:59 pm »
After a relatively easy, if somewhat warm, day moving my daughter's belongings from a house in overheated Palmers Green to tropical Hackney Wick, we were home around 3 pm and I found the intervening 4 hours flew by as I prepared the bike and me for our little journey to see our friends in the north. I spent the long train journey reading a book about the Welsh and British Lions captain John Dawes.

Just after York I was joined by AndrewC and another YACFer who I found out later was Crinklyuncle (I think). This is a demonstration of my ridiculously bad memory for names and faces as a little over a year ago I was sitting at CL's table on the eve of the York Rally eating Chinese food in his company. Sorry.

We found the pub very quickly and a moment later Deano appeared bearing ale. A welcome sight indeed. It was Copper Dragon something-or-other and went down very quickly. I learned that it is brewed in Skipton. I know someone who is moving there very soon! I had a brief natter to Jane, with whom I had exchanged a few incomprehensible text messages earlier in the evening. She had caught a slightly earlier train and I was lumbered with Mrs. Wow's antiquated phone, whose predictive text had a mind of its own and it outwitted me at every stage. It turned out that poor Jane has been a hit-and-run victim whilst cycling to King's Cross and she had sore ribs from where she had landed, as well as a broken spoke. Tiermat had lent her a very shiny rear wheel.

Soon we were away and as usual I was at the back of the group. The weather was mild and I sported just shorts and one layer on top. Even when we stopped on a bridge over the Tees so that a puncture could be mended I didn't need any extra insulation. Instead I handed round some marmite sandwiches I had made. Not long after 3 we reached the Scotch Corner services where we had a fairly lengthy but welcome stop and by the time we emerge the sky was light and dawn was not far away.

At one point we had a brief stop in a village whose name I had not noticed. It had a large village green and I knew I had been there before on a ride. I was not sure when, and I was convinced that it was in the past 18 months or so, but I now know the village was Scorton and I think the ride must have been our very wet coast-to-coast. Or did we visit the village on the equivalent ride two years ago? So many places, so little brain capacity...

After Catterick we began climbing. Gently at first, but definitely we were on the up. We passed through Tunstall and I mentioned that I thought there was a Suffolk village of the same name. Indeed there is, between Snape and Woodbridge, and I rode through it earlier this year. We passed at least one military institution and numerous road signs warning us of their existence, but they were all in bed. There was a roadside stop at the junction of the A6108. By this time we were about 800 feet above sea level and in the valley behind us we could see the mist lying like pools of milk, a portent of the scorcher the day was to become.

At Reeth we had a gathering. There were more of us now as the specimens of homo sapiens had been joined by several hundred thousand little biting bastards. Use was made of the facilities and then off we went again. It was considerably earlier in the day than the last time I passed this way, so there was no-one to advise me on bicycle feng-shui. At one point I caught up with the remainder of the party and remarked that I thought there was another significant descent to a pub on our left before the final push on to Tan Hill. Deano corrected me and assured us all that there was nothing until we got to Tan Hill, apart from metal structure that looked like a railway carriage. I wonder where it was that I bought all that beer?

I set off before the others on the final assault but stopped to watch a small river flow under a bridge. It was not long before Jane and Loadsabikes overhauled me and then so did several other cyclists. I love the final approach to the pub as what may well be the toughest hill of all leads you to a brow and there it is, just below. There is a quick descent, for which I was joined by AndrewC, and then breakfast.

Part 2 to follow.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #372 on: 07 July, 2013, 03:22:06 pm »
While we are waiting for part 2, can I just thank Deano and everyone on the ride for another superb FNRttP :)

Beautiful countryside, beautiful weather. Nice breakfast and best of all, great company :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #373 on: 07 July, 2013, 04:11:10 pm »
There is nothing, or almost nothing, quite so much worth doing as sitting in the Tan Hill Inn on a glorious July morning drinking beer, so we did that for a while before it was time to depart. There was a group photo taken by someone on someone else's camera and then we hurtled down the hill towards the spiffing off-road bit across Sleightholme Moor.

I have never done a great deal of off-road, and that which I have has been mostly reasonably flat and easy (there was one exception last year in which Jane and I had to scrape most of Gloucestershire off our bicycles before we could ride them again) but this one, although bone-dry, was decidedly technical. My Thorn was probably pretty well ideally suited to the job save for the fact that it was fitted with road tyres, but I was really given a lesson in bike-handling by Jane who, on skinnies, just disappeared off down a treacherous, gravelly, rock-strewn scree slope which at times seemed to be like the north face of the Eiger. There was one absent friend whose company is normally a delight, but I was quite pleased that she wasn't there on this occasion. If she reads this she will know who she is (probably so will everyone else).

Eventually the road became a road again and we continued to make good progress. We joined a fast A road but in the 4 miles we were on it we dropped from about 1000 to 700 feet so it was fast for bicycles as well as cars. That took us to Barnard Castle where there was a brief stop in front of the Bowes house where someone sorted a stuck chain out and I had a look at my drive train to see if I could find out where the ticking was coming from. I found a loose chain ring bolt, tightened it, and the ticking stopped. Someone had a puncture and we rested under a healthy-looking beech tree whilst it was mended. We crossed a suspension bridge over the Tees, which reminded me very much of a similar one over the Tweed, near a honey farm, at a place whose name escapes me.

We approached Darlington and whilst in the suburbs I noticed a cyclist standing to my left. I though he didn't look like one of ours so I carried on, having failed to spot in my sleep-deprived stupor that everyone else had turned left with him. It turned out to be Andrewbr, but he looked much too smart to have been up all night. Finally we found Deano's favourite pub which appeared to serve beer, but I was by this time so overheated, dehydrated and low on blood sugar that I engulfed two pints of orange juice and lemonade. Then it was time for the train so Jane and I dozed our way back to King's Cross.

Thanks again, Deano, for the excellent ride.

« Reply #374 on: 07 July, 2013, 04:57:21 pm »
There was one absent friend whose company is normally a delight, but I was quite pleased that she wasn't there on this occasion. If she reads this she will know who she is (probably so will everyone else).

I have no idea who you might be talking about.

In all seriousness, that sounds like I would probably still be standing by the side of the 'road', sobbing...I'm sure you're not the only one who's glad I wasn't there!