Author Topic: DOTD  (Read 210597 times)

Ruth

Re: DOTD
« Reply #50 on: 15 March, 2014, 09:52:50 pm »
She sounds like me when I'm feeling sorry for myself and want to drag other people down into my misery.  And she's probly allowed to feel sorry for herself.

It's not you jogler, it's her.  Night riding is nothing like day riding, which she'll realise when you take her on a FNRttC.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #51 on: 15 March, 2014, 10:25:02 pm »
She is amongst the most positive thinking & pro-active people I've ever met;no indication of misery or negativity in her character & she doesn't feel sorry for herself.

'sfunny you should mention FNRttC.I told her of the York to Hull ride about which she had several questions, the answers to which did nothing to generate a negative response of any sort.Quite the opposite.She asked if I would want to ride it again.

Ruth

« Reply #52 on: 15 March, 2014, 10:26:48 pm »
She is amongst the most positive thinking & pro-active people I've ever met;no indication of misery or negativity in her character & she doesn't feel sorry for herself.

'sfunny you should mention FNRttC.I told her of the York to Hull ride about which she had several questions, the answers to which did nothing to generate a negative response of any sort.Quite the opposite.She asked if I would want to ride it again.

And ... ?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #53 on: 15 March, 2014, 11:12:16 pm »
 and at the present time equivocation is my strongest characteristic.
I rarely do the same ride more than once* but I find myself contemplating the logistics of getting a tandem to York & back from Hull without using my car.
I have already discounted riding it there & back
However I think Carol would not wish to undertake a 100km-ish ride any time soon & I have yet to convince myself that I too could do so although by this time next week I expect to have a clearer indication on this issue.

*IIRC I have do so only twice.Both times a lady otp was involved.The same lady.She knows who she is.

and yourself Ruthie?

and your new avatar is a cracker :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #54 on: 16 March, 2014, 12:51:55 am »
Of course, a FNRttC is rarely the same ride more than once...   :demon:

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #55 on: 17 March, 2014, 08:27:25 am »
Yesterday.

Sunny Sunday afternoon. Cycle path beside A507. Lycra lout bellowing obscenities at three wobbly little people being herded by their (nearly as wobbly) parents. Didn't like it, did you, when I caught you up and bellowed obscenities at you, finishing with "and if you want to do this speed you're two feet away from a fucking empty road you cunt" >:(
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Ruth

« Reply #56 on: 17 March, 2014, 09:05:22 pm »

and yourself Ruthie?

Thinking about it.

« Reply #57 on: 19 March, 2014, 03:42:11 pm »
Yesterday.

Sunny Sunday afternoon. Cycle path beside A507. Lycra lout bellowing obscenities at three wobbly little people being herded by their (nearly as wobbly) parents. Didn't like it, did you, when I caught you up and bellowed obscenities at you, finishing with "and if you want to do this speed you're two feet away from a fucking empty road you cunt" >:(

:thumbsup: good one, guy.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #58 on: 19 March, 2014, 07:43:22 pm »
Not for the first time (same muppet) - dipshit on a BSO, rolling down the wrong side of the road, straight at me, with a very dim red blinking light - ON HIS HANDLEBARS.  :facepalm:

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #59 on: 20 March, 2014, 12:35:23 pm »
A few weeks ago I nearly ran into a cyclist when in the car.

He was riding a black bike wearing black clothes with no lights on the wrong side of the road. I instinctively slowed when I saw a flash of yellow that I didn't expect, which turned out to be a pedal reflector.

I'm amazed at the number of people riding around in dark clothes with no lights, or the people who do really stupid stuff like putting red lights on the front of the bike or white lights on the rear. I spotted one the other day riding around a busy roundabout in the twilight wearing dark clothes and no lights. He was visible because of the street lights, certainly not because of any efforts he had made to be seen.

It seems a lot of people figure lights are purely for their benefit and if they can see where they are going they don't need lights.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #60 on: 20 March, 2014, 09:30:14 pm »
It seems a lot of people figure lights are purely for their benefit and if they can see where they are going they don't need lights.

Presumably not the same group with the seizure-inducing front flashers...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #61 on: 20 March, 2014, 09:34:25 pm »

...although the same reasoning.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

essexian

« Reply #62 on: 27 March, 2014, 09:47:19 am »
Sundown Drive in Stafford is quite a nice short hill where, if you try, you can get up quite a nice bit of speed before turning off into the speedhump hell that is the Highfields estate.

Thus:

http://goo.gl/maps/o1QVz

The one way you won’t get up any speed as a cyclist if you cut in front of a bus, slam your brakes on and start to shout at the driver. Not sure what he had done to upset you, but you did make yourself look a right twat throwing your bike down (a Tesco’s special by the looks) and offering the bus driver out for a fight.

Sometimes….and yes, I find this very hard to do…. It’s better to bite your tongue and just let it go afterall, there will be only one winner bike V bus.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #63 on: 30 March, 2014, 09:08:19 pm »
Saturday evening, around 1845, and nearly full dark. Heading South down Balcombe Road on the short stretch of footpath I now use to avoid a repeat of diving sideways off the bike as some moton overtakes a car coming my way as I would have waited to turn right.

People carrier, southbound, pulls the F1 florr-everything overtake on another car, and very nearly takes out the northbound cyclist. Road bike, proper kit, no sodding lights at all.

But he WAS wearing a helmet...
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #64 on: 02 April, 2014, 10:44:24 am »

Yep, the "I'm looking out for me and sod everybody else" attitude isn't confined to motorists.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #65 on: 02 April, 2014, 11:21:25 am »
There's a lot of serious advice out there to have lights on flashing in commuting traffic as it gets noticed.  I read an article from a former military jet pilot once on exactly why it's a good idea (all to do with pilots being trained to look, then look again to avoid objects being unnoticed by the mechanics of how your brain interprets vision).  Having a flashing light can induce the same affect in a driver who doesn't necessarily look as carefully as a jet pilot, say when pulling out from a t-junction straight into a cyclist they haven't seen even with a steady front light.  I noted this and started using a front flasher from then on.

I was doing it until I rather discovered that others really *hate* it just the other day. I don't so it hadn't occurred to me that others do until I had a bit of an altercation with someone on an audax.

I shall adjust my lighting tactics accordingly but not everyone out there doing this is doing it from a selfish 'sod everyone else' point of view.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

simonp

« Reply #66 on: 02 April, 2014, 11:45:13 am »
A flashing light alone, depending on frequency and duty cycle, can be very hard to spot in a mirror.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #67 on: 02 April, 2014, 01:21:52 pm »
Maybe so, I wasn't commenting on the effectiveness, more the implied assumption above that anyone using a flashing light is a selfish tosser.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #68 on: 02 April, 2014, 02:13:36 pm »
Yesterday, about 5:15 so could have been a commuter but seemed to be racing another cyclist, which could have been the reason for the dickish decsions. Jumping a red light is common and you got through before the other traffic started moving, so we'll ignore that. But overtaking a car on the right when it's stopped in the middle of the road, with its right-hand indicator flashing and opposite an obvious turning (a petrol station) is really stupid.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #69 on: 02 April, 2014, 02:38:07 pm »
Is DOTD Dick Of The Day?
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #70 on: 06 April, 2014, 07:50:27 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #71 on: 06 April, 2014, 09:56:35 pm »
Riding along in broad daylight I saw the inverse of the headless cyclist (or is that headless horseman?) ... Somebody riding on the pavement alongside a hedge. I saw the bike and the head, but as he was wearing a camo jacket and trousers that disappeared against the shrubbery I had to look twice for the torso.

I didn't know camouflage stuff you buy in the Army stores was that good! I'm not a high-viz evangelist but making yourself semi-visible seems to be asking for trouble.
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #72 on: 07 April, 2014, 08:45:42 am »
A few years ago we walked into the bar at Shannon airport. An American troop transport was obviously refuelling or stopping over - all we could see was a huge number of heads, above a great sandy indistinguishable mass. Desert pattern DPM merged into the next battledress and even into the background very effectively.

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #73 on: 07 April, 2014, 12:38:22 pm »
[Tommy Cooper]
I went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day, but I couldn't find any.
[/Tommy Cooper]

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #74 on: 07 April, 2014, 05:14:51 pm »
There's a lot of serious advice out there to have lights on flashing in commuting traffic as it gets noticed.  I read an article from a former military jet pilot once on exactly why it's a good idea (all to do with pilots being trained to look, then look again to avoid objects being unnoticed by the mechanics of how your brain interprets vision).  Having a flashing light can induce the same affect in a driver who doesn't necessarily look as carefully as a jet pilot, say when pulling out from a t-junction straight into a cyclist they haven't seen even with a steady front light.  I noted this and started using a front flasher from then on.

I was doing it until I rather discovered that others really *hate* it just the other day. I don't so it hadn't occurred to me that others do until I had a bit of an altercation with someone on an audax.

I shall adjust my lighting tactics accordingly but not everyone out there doing this is doing it from a selfish 'sod everyone else' point of view.
As part of the training I deliver I espouse "active looking", which is a process of scanning a person and their possessions to pick up as much info as possible. Much the same thing.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i