Author Topic: 18mm ply as bathroom flooring  (Read 6464 times)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
18mm ply as bathroom flooring
« on: 04 May, 2008, 07:09:07 pm »
In the thick of the bathroom now. Just ripped out all the old boards, cos they weren't bathroom grade (green) and were in a bad state.

I fancy replacing (at least in part) with 18mm hardwood ply. Main reason being that it wouldn't be tounge and groove, so would be easy to lift for access to plumbing.

Not intending to use marine ply, but would varnish it as a seal. In any case, bathroom grade laminate is going on top, with a moisture barrier between.

I am assuming the increased stiffness of the ply compared to chipboard would eliminate the need for tounge and groove - is that right? Are there any other problems with this approach?

Thanks

Zoidburg

Re: 18mm ply as bathroom flooring
« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2008, 07:24:35 pm »
Its common practice for tilers to use a heavy ply on bathroom floors, tongue and grove is there to stop drafts more than anything, it isnt any stronger than plain old timbers layed flat

As long as its sealed it will work okish, If you dont want toungue and groove though I would just stick with a plained redwood PSE timber in lengths as its easier to work with than ply and will resist moisture better as it wont delaminate at the edges

As you said, bathroom grade laminate is going down, this is usually sealed with a glue not just a click lock system and will have the under lay and membrane, so If you ever need to take it up you are going to have to rip that out and then replace it anyway

Another tip, dont buy timber from the DIY chains, its whitewood and its not very good quality

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2008, 09:27:03 pm »
Baltic Birch Ply is bloody strong stuff but I suspect ZB is right about the reason for the tongue and groove. Can I ask why you're not intending to use Marine Ply?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Zoidburg

« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2008, 10:51:02 pm »
Because a sheet of 18mm will set you back about £70 ;D

Its over kill unless you are building a wet room

Really Ancien

« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2008, 04:11:33 pm »

That's some price unless it's a lot bigger than 8x4.
http://www.cwberry.com/ProductCat.aspx?TreeNodeId=c1ad8e3e-2085-4225-b6a3-4db069431fcd&PageIndex=1

Damon.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2008, 04:14:43 pm »
If you intend to stay in the house for more than 2 years use marine ply.

Otherwise you'll be sorry.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #6 on: 05 May, 2008, 05:29:44 pm »
The house I designed and built had chipboard flooring covered with lovely vinyl tiles in the Bathroom. I had no problems whatsoever during 20 years.

Of course the floors were installed properly by me :D

Proper sealing of the sub floor from moisture is the key to success :thumbsup:

If you have a suspended floor system don't forget proper ventilation below ;)
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Zoidburg

« Reply #7 on: 06 May, 2008, 05:33:57 pm »

http://www.cwberry.com/ProductCat.aspx?TreeNodeId=c1ad8e3e-2085-4225-b6a3-4db069431fcd&PageIndex=1

Damon.
Sounds awfully cheap to me, excercise caution, it could be chinese ply, or its not FSC, meaning its from a dodgy importer

Really Ancien

« Reply #8 on: 06 May, 2008, 05:51:20 pm »

Damon.
Sounds awfully cheap to me, excercise caution, it could be chinese ply, or its not FSC, meaning its from a dodgy importer
Berry's Timber Policy here. http://www.cwberry.com/timber.aspx
They do a lot of their own importing and are the best single branch Builder's Merchant in the country. That's why Leyland has such a concentration of builders. I can't help it if most of the country is ripped off.

Damon.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #9 on: 07 May, 2008, 06:17:34 am »
Thanks all for the suggestions, and advice.