Author Topic: 2' wide x 6' high fence panels  (Read 1832 times)

2' wide x 6' high fence panels
« on: 21 April, 2015, 05:34:30 pm »
For some strange reason, the former owners of my house and the neighbour's made a run of fencing that starts with a 2' wide gap. Maybe they extended and ended up with it like that, I don't know. The rest of the run is standard 6' panels.

I can't seem to find a 2' wide x 6' high panel at the usual outlets, so any ideas who flogs them?

I am NOT going to be chopping down a larger panel to size...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Re: 2' wide x 6' high fence panels
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2015, 05:45:07 pm »
I'm pretty sure that 2 foot wide is not standard so it's either specially made or chopped down IMO. 

« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2015, 05:45:35 pm »
The answer is no-one makes them. All panels are 6 foot by 6 foot.
You could get someone in to make one, or add a pair of arris rails and then feather edge board to fill the gap, but the simplest answer is to buy a full-size pane and deconstruct it to make a smaller one!

« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2015, 06:29:12 pm »
Well if they hadn't started with a 2" panel surely they would have had to end with or insert a 2" panel somewhere else ? Your garden is obvious (Nx6")+2" long ....
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2015, 06:54:50 pm »
I think the standard solution is to cut one down, reconstructing the support frame using small, thin nails. Takes about 30 minutes.

« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2015, 07:28:55 pm »
Small sawmills will make you up a non standard sized panel . Tame landscape gardeners / fencers will point you in the right direction .
Its More Fun With Three .

« Reply #6 on: 21 April, 2015, 08:06:15 pm »
Well if they hadn't started with a 2" panel surely they would have had to end with or insert a 2" panel somewhere else ? Your garden is obvious (Nx6")+2" long ....
Both houses have been extended, so I assume the garden was fenced from the original walls with 6' panels. The extensions were built years before I moved in, so I am guessing, but it would seem to be the likeliest reason.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #7 on: 21 April, 2015, 09:32:36 pm »
The answer is no-one makes them. All panels are 6 foot by 6 foot.

3' high by 6' wide are quite common. I use pairs of these to replace 6' x 6' panels: they fit in my car, and are easier to slot into the concrete support posts, one on top of another.

« Reply #8 on: 21 April, 2015, 10:25:00 pm »
Will need a cut down panel 'fraid.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: 21 April, 2015, 10:35:07 pm »

As pretty much everyone else has said, that's going to be the easiest and cheapest way of sorting it.

« Reply #10 on: 21 April, 2015, 11:47:39 pm »
I cut panels down when I want a short one. Move the end pieces across to their new positions and nail them back together, then cut off the excess down the outside of the pieces you moved. If you cut first, the panels will just splinter.

« Reply #11 on: 22 April, 2015, 08:10:19 am »

As pretty much everyone else has said, that's going to be the easiest and cheapest only sensible way of sorting it.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #12 on: 22 April, 2015, 08:20:15 am »
One thing I found with our old panelled fence is that the 'filler' panel was a trapezoid rather than rectangular.   Nobody makes a panel quite like that one!   :) 

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #13 on: 22 April, 2015, 08:42:29 am »
Take the whole fence down and use metric panels. 6 2 metre panels would be 2 feet longer than 6 6 foot panels. :) Availability of 2 metre panels has not been investigated.
Move to a property with uniform boudaries. :)
Accept that cutting a panel down is the only solution.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #14 on: 22 April, 2015, 01:19:25 pm »
If you're using slotted (concrete) posts rather than nailing to wooden ones then make sure that when you move the sides in, they're not too wide to fit the slot (which can happen depending where the new edge is in the case of featherboard panels)

The guy putting in the fence for next door had a chippie cut some panels down for him some days before, I wound up spending an hour or so helping him get the last short panel back to size with a plane and spoke shave (on account of it being pretty near, but not near enough, and having a bunch of nailheads stuck in..)

« Reply #15 on: 23 April, 2015, 06:43:40 am »
Use ring barbed nails.
Move Faster and Bake Things