Author Topic: Durham beer club : intermittent dates.  (Read 4437 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Durham beer club : intermittent dates.
« on: 26 April, 2016, 02:42:57 pm »
Anyone fancy meeting up for a pint in Durham this Thursday? I'm suggesting one of two fantastic locations within walking distance of the railway station:

Option 1: the 'connoisseurs' choice, that Station House. Cask beer straight from the barrel.

Option 2: the 'session' choice, the Colpitts Hotel. £1.40 pint of well cared for Sam Smiths.

8pm - for cyclists either bring your 'pub bike' you don't mind locking up outside, or bring your folding bike.

Graeme.

Kings Cross return tickets about £130... Sorry for the short notice.

Re: Durham beer club : intermittent dates.
« Reply #1 on: 26 April, 2016, 10:08:57 pm »
I'll be there on Thursday, G. Station House for preference.

For future reference, The Bridge Hotel opposite is alright (and convenient!) for food.

« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2016, 09:37:50 am »
Another vote for that Station House   :thumbsup: See you tomorrow.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2016, 12:28:45 pm »
I'll be there on Thursday, G. Station House for preference.

For future reference, The Bridge Hotel opposite is alright (and convenient!) for food.

And I think the Station House are happy for you to buy a pizza over the road and bring it in.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2016, 12:29:13 pm »
Another vote for that Station House   :thumbsup: See you tomorrow.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 27 April, 2016, 01:13:57 pm »
Ruthie has pointed me in this direction (first time I've logged on to YACF in months, I'm afraid). I've a meeting on Thursday evening but will try and hobble along to the Station House as soon as it finishes. Expect me when I arrive.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #6 on: 27 April, 2016, 03:52:28 pm »
That's great SC.

« Reply #7 on: 28 April, 2016, 04:39:28 pm »
It's siling it down, so I'm just going to get a train and walk down to the pub. Shocking, I know.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2016, 04:52:46 pm »
See you there.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #9 on: 29 April, 2016, 09:05:52 am »

Good night at the Station House last night. We drank 'Rat in Me Kitchen' and 'Plum Porter'.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #10 on: 24 May, 2016, 09:33:00 am »
Passing on the keys to the 'Durham Beer Club' : Graeme's "Bon Voyage" drinks at the Station House in Durham, Wednesday 15th June from 7pm.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #11 on: 12 June, 2016, 02:54:55 pm »
At the risk of interfering with Tiermat's regular Wednesday night food and beer fest; a heads up that I'll deffo be at the Station House in Durham for their best stouts and mild - this Wednesday the 15th June. (For my farewell drinks.)

The Station House have been running a smoky Bosch stout recently which might be gone by the middle of the week. They've also started a Ruby Mild too. They always have great bitter, but in the face of fantastic dark beer I've yet to dabble in their lighter choices. No lager, but a great range of perry and cider. The dandelion and burdock is a good non-alcoholic choice and the snack selection includes Taylor's Pork Pie and vegan offerings from the Jumping Bean Cafe. If you have a bigger appetite , there is the Alishaan Curry house or you could grab a pizza from over the road and bring it into the pub (they don't mind).

The 'Durham Beer Club' thread has only just been launched really, but for those OTP who are interested I could hand over the keys to this discussion.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #12 on: 12 June, 2016, 03:00:27 pm »
What time do you plan to meet?  If I got out of work on time-ish and trains were cooperative (and there's a cheapish advance!) I could p'raps get there....

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #13 on: 12 June, 2016, 03:51:28 pm »
Ooh goodie!

I have an RSC meeting in Sunderland until 16:30, given about an hour to get back to Durham... I plan to be at the pub until closing time. But 7pm seems like a reasonable start time for those, like you, with proper jobs.

G.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #14 on: 12 June, 2016, 09:13:49 pm »
I will be there, can't remember the train options at the mo, will post again when I confirm them.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #15 on: 12 June, 2016, 09:15:07 pm »
I've got deanery synod that day.  Do you have sufficient ecclesiastical authority to write me a sick note?

« Reply #16 on: 14 June, 2016, 11:27:07 pm »
Ooh goodie!

I have an RSC meeting in Sunderland until 16:30, given about an hour to get back to Durham... I plan to be at the pub until closing time. But 7pm seems like a reasonable start time for those, like you, with proper jobs.

G.

How you getting from Sunderland?

Also, I'll be riding through. What's the situation with bikes? Will I need my big lock?

« Reply #17 on: 15 June, 2016, 08:05:27 am »
We're driving there, trains are a multiple changes PITA and that's before you factor in that I'm still obeying the medics 'at least 2 weeks off the bike'.

Chris S

« Reply #18 on: 15 June, 2016, 09:17:19 am »
We're driving there, trains are a multiple changes PITA and that's before you factor in that I'm still obeying the medics 'at least 2 weeks off the bike'.

How do you feel about driving home?  :D :demon:

tiermat

« Reply #19 on: 15 June, 2016, 09:24:46 am »
My train gets in at 18.58, so should be at the pub shortly after 7. This is good as it means I should be able to get out for a quick blast before I have to head to the station!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #20 on: 15 June, 2016, 09:57:59 am »
Ooh goodie!

G.

How you getting from Sunderland?

Also, I'll be riding through. What's the situation with bikes? Will I need my big lock?

The meeting has been moved to Northumbria University, so I'll be on the train - only 15 mins. Considering food options, such as grabbing a curry before going to the pub.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone tonight and really appreciate the hurdles you're jumping through to get here.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #21 on: 15 June, 2016, 05:36:35 pm »
Sorry - am still in work and not even half way through the urgent list. It's being another one of those weeks.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #22 on: 15 June, 2016, 05:45:32 pm »
Crinkles: York, 3rd July. See you then I hope. :)

tiermat

« Reply #23 on: 15 June, 2016, 06:13:09 pm »
Just arrived at the station, in NTR, to find the train is delayed by 15 minutes, 15 drinking minutes!!!

tiermat

« Reply #24 on: 15 June, 2016, 06:56:59 pm »
Just reached Darlo