Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2485410 times)

Fluffy

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #250 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:25:14 am »
I am sick of snow, its really bad here in Costa Del Rochdale. It makes it next to impossible to cycle and I want to go for my rides. :(

« Reply #251 on: 05 January, 2010, 11:51:31 am »

<jealous>

My bike this morning. A bit settled on it while I went and found a camera, but not much.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #252 on: 05 January, 2010, 12:57:34 pm »
Nicer ride today than yesterday. Yesterday was too icy - today was nice loose snow with much more grip.

Plus the cars were going slower today. We've had about 4 inches in Congleton.

« Reply #253 on: 05 January, 2010, 01:44:37 pm »
My commute was quite easy, very little snow or ice, just a few bits around where puddles of water had collected, and there was too much to easily evaporate.

Of course, after about five minutes my front brake cable broke, so I had to spend another five minutes fitting the spare (it too so long since it's a bit fiddly.  To get the cable into the hidden outer, I normally have to loosen the brake lever, and there's also a travel agent which you have to route the cable through).  It's better buggering about doing this sort of fettling in the cold than in the rain though!

I'm hoping that the snow doesn't drop significantly until I'm home though, the tyres are fairly slick, so don't have much grip in slippery stuff.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #254 on: 05 January, 2010, 03:56:19 pm »
I set off a little late and avoided the worst of the "blizzard", as someone described to me ::-)

I went the long way, along the river path, to avoid the wheel-spinning mentalists on the roads.  I overtook a lad on a MTB, who looked a little trepidatious.

It was a glorious day, really.  Shame about the destination.

FyPuNK

« Reply #255 on: 05 January, 2010, 06:50:52 pm »
Journey home was worse than expected, never before have I had my brakes and gears freeze solid on me. On the plus side the roads were very quiet and not to slippery and Mrs Punk had a nice hot bath waiting for me. Hope its warmer tomorrow.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #256 on: 05 January, 2010, 06:53:52 pm »
Really nice journey home - very little traffic on snowy roads - I had most of the A61 dual carriageway northbound to myself!
Got held up in town by slow moving motons inching down hills.
Bit of a slog against a headwind driving snow.
Took 10 minutes longer than usual....

« Reply #257 on: 05 January, 2010, 07:13:38 pm »
No snow in Milton Keynes, just crunchy frost so cycling is OK, but I'm being carefull.
I hope my mountain bike bits come soon so I can go for some off roading now the bog pit bridleways are frozen solid.

« Reply #258 on: 05 January, 2010, 07:41:13 pm »
We've had a bit of snow already in Wiltshire.
I cycled along the tow path for the first 9 miles and it was not too bad.
Shoulder was murder.
Got off onto the road before I hit the rough stuff as there was not enough snow to crunch down into it - more like sprinkled sand on top of frozen ground and that was really slippery.
The road was wet and I had taken off the rear mud guard ages ago.
No issues other than a frozen bottom  ;D

« Reply #259 on: 05 January, 2010, 07:50:30 pm »
My commute was fine, but glad I got home before the roads got slippery. I suspect I may not be on the bike tomorrow unless the roads I commute on are ok (they weren't last time it snowed properly and all the buses were cancelled).

« Reply #260 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:21:06 pm »
I crunched into work over loverly frosty fields today. Knobbly tyres rule!

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #261 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:27:02 pm »
Glad you're ok after your adventures this morning, mate.  :thumbsup:
:-X
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #262 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:30:28 pm »
Huge chunks of frozen breath in my beard on the way in today; milder on the way back, but now the snow's falling so I'm getting the knobby MTB ready to tackle the squeaky-crunchy fray. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #263 on: 05 January, 2010, 08:50:30 pm »
Rather bizarrely, it's a couple of degrees warmer in London now, than it was this morning (in daylight) on my commute in, and that was already warmer than it had been first thing.  I don't know if it's caused by the possible approaching snowyness, but it stopped ice being much of a problem for my commute home.

« Reply #264 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:15:27 pm »
Glad you're ok after your adventures this morning, mate.  :thumbsup:
:-X

Yes, on the plus side it increased my mileage as well  ::-)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #265 on: 05 January, 2010, 09:50:37 pm »
Unexpectedly uneventful ride home this evening. :o
Getting there...

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #266 on: 05 January, 2010, 10:48:25 pm »
Nasty...walked it a lot of the way. Car pulls over...he's a cyclist, has his cycle rack in the car, did I want a lift.
Twenty yards from my front door!

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #267 on: 06 January, 2010, 08:44:33 am »
First 100 yards on my road were interesting but once I got to the main road it was fine. Started snowing again by the time I got to London Bridge

« Reply #268 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:47:08 am »
No commute for me today  :)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #269 on: 06 January, 2010, 09:58:23 am »
I probably should have got the MTB out today (although that only has slicks atm).  Meant that I couldn't ride through the snowy middle of Richmond Park and had to endure much silliness on the road (including drivers overtaking even when I was doing the speed limit.

I've set myself a goal of not missing a commute if I can help it this month so was determined to get out this morning.  Most roads were pretty snow free and as soon as I was past Priory Lane wasn't really troubled by it (although did divert from some of my back street routes).  Traffic was pretty light I thought.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #270 on: 06 January, 2010, 10:03:35 am »
This morning I decided on a mixed commute.  Ride into Cardiff the train To Bridgend and ride to Work.   So I rode down the steep hil snow covered so nice and secure.  When I got to bottom more cars had passed and the grit/salt had done its job and there were clear patches.  I feel more nervous on this sort of surface but I continued on to the Taff Trail cycle path that had plenty of Snow.  One bike had been along here before me.  As I cycled through the trees at Hayley park I wondered if I was still on the path but the other track led me through.  Although shortly after I decided to ride straight across the Rugby pitches. More cycles had used the path as I approached town.  The gates at the lodge near Blackweir were pretty slippy as all the bikes must make the same swerve. I lost the back wheel but the front kept me upright.  Again I lost the path in Castle park and improvised a route to the gate and arrived at the station soon after.  A long wait for the train. I arrive in Bridgend.  A big difference in conditions.  I was nervous descending Court Road from the station but the roads I used were now clear.  The side roads on the estate looked dodgy but I got to work half an hour late. A two hour commute, but 35 minutes of it was waiting for a train.

« Reply #271 on: 06 January, 2010, 11:10:30 am »
My commute in was pretty uneventful.  I did take a slightly more torturous route to use main roads, rather than cutting across Tooting Bec Common and Clapham Common on their cycle paths, but the traffic level was much lower than is normal for a morning.  The vast majority of vehicles on the road were commercial of one sort or another, Taxis, Vans, Lorries, and Buses.  Very few private cars, which was kind of odd, since the main roads were perfectly drivable (and cycleable), and even the minor roads easily traversed with a little care.

I should have avoided the side road route up to West Croydon station, and taken the Purley Way instead, but aside from a couple of slippery moments, and taking it very gingerly, it was OK.  If it hasn't melted by this evening, my return route will be on the Purley Way.

Unusually I saw one guy skating along the cycle path on Queenstown Road, up the side of Battersea Park.  I was using the road, to avoid the sludgy, snowy mixture, and he was making fairly slow progress by the look of it.  I wouldn't think skates were ideal in the snow, they must clog fairly easily, and you would probably loose traction (not to say stability!).

Now I'm at work, it appears that out of the six of us who work in this Lab, I'm the only one who managed to get in, which isn't that impressive, given how mild the conditions are in London.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #272 on: 06 January, 2010, 12:07:30 pm »
That's pretty pathetic of them, tbh.  I was the one who struggled the most with the weather here, and I was just late.  All doctors, nurses, managerial & admin staff here got in today.
Getting there...

FyPuNK

« Reply #273 on: 06 January, 2010, 12:35:40 pm »
Not as bad as I was expecting this morning, although there was snow/ice, the roads they were in pretty good condition, no nearly offs to report and my brakes/gears are working again. Think the journey home could be fun, clear skies so going to be icy.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #274 on: 06 January, 2010, 02:43:20 pm »
Not bad at all today...
Getting out of our road and the few miles through the Mayfield Valley was quite hard going and slow with 6" of snow clogging up the works but once on ploughed roads it was much easier...
Going down the A61 dual carriageway only one lane was "open" with motons crawling down it - overtook them all on the outside and left them for snow...  ;D
Going home will be more fun - temperatures are already dropping as we speak and are forecast to be quite low, -5C or lower, with a brisk northerly adding a significant headwind chill... May have to wear the balaclava.

Edit: (20h05)
Trip home OK - Almost kept pace with the motons on the freezing (gritted) surfaces going UP the A61! It was quite chilly....