Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2491967 times)

spindrift

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #600 on: 17 February, 2010, 11:29:49 am »
There's a nasty, narrowing bit of road on the way to the office. Yesterday I heard a car behind me, and he hung way back. It wasn't safe for him to overtake and he didn't, he waited then passed leaving loads of room.

Distinctive vehicle. Pink and very long.

I emailed the company last night to say thanks and I wish all drivers were as good as theirs. Got a reply.:

Dear spindrift.

We wish to Thank you for taking the time to e mail us regarding the manner in which our limousine was being driven on Monday 15th February

We pride ourselves on being a professional company and all our drivers are trained to respect other road users and it is most pleasing to receive positive feedback

Your comments have been passed to our driver

With Kind Regards

Pretty in Pink Limousines.

« Reply #601 on: 17 February, 2010, 11:44:20 am »
Managed to get my average speed into the 16s for the first time in a while, albeit helped by clear junctions, not having to stop at level crossings and it being half-term.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #602 on: 17 February, 2010, 12:03:41 pm »
Managed to get my average speed into the 16s for the first time in a while, albeit helped by clear junctions, not having to stop at level crossings and it being half-term.

Grande! I actually managed 17 mph moving average on Monday - but was also in part due to the absence of any ice! I didn't ride at all last week as each day I'd awoke to a good frost.

All that has changed now. Snow tyres arrived last week and over the weekend I recommissioned the mountain bike. I even cycled down *evil* hill even though I could see it was icy!

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #603 on: 17 February, 2010, 12:28:06 pm »
Came close to splatting a "cyclist" today. Was using the car to take stuff to the recycling centre. Doing about 25, crossing a set of lights on a main road when a guy on a bike shot out from the road I was crossing (i.e. through the red light) and made a wide left turn in the middle of the lane in front of me.  I don't know for sure that I would have hit him had I not braked hard but I suspect I might have done. 

He had earphones in. I'm not sure if he was even aware I was there.

For a moment I felt a bit like a Daily Wailer  :sick:

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

ed_o_brain

« Reply #604 on: 17 February, 2010, 01:21:09 pm »

For a moment I felt a bit like a Daily Wailer  :sick:

If you were a reader of aforementioned snoozespaper you would probably have hit him, stopped, then proceeded to rant on at him about all the ills of cycling.

:P

« Reply #605 on: 18 February, 2010, 09:01:45 am »
Fog freezing on my brake levers.
Nice. Not.
I really need to start believing the weather forecast. ::-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #606 on: 18 February, 2010, 09:12:42 am »
Fog freezing on my brake levers.
Nice. Not.
I really need to start believing the weather forecast. ::-)

We have rime and reason too.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #607 on: 18 February, 2010, 09:35:22 am »
No icy stuff here but there is thick fog and heavy rain so I don't feel left out

The fog was so bad I felt the need to turn on the superflash

« Reply #608 on: 18 February, 2010, 09:36:31 am »
Lovely commute in yesterday in the rain.  I was well rugged up and comfortable.  Managed to stay in my zones all the way.
On the way home it was dry but cold.  I defrocked the Goretex but still managed to keep warm in my ACF roubaix top.  After 5 miles of the journey I hooked up with a chap named Will.  He had left Trowbridge on a training ride - he is going to compete in duathalons.  We had a chat for a couple of miles before our routes parted.  

That was a nice change.

I am certainly enjoying the lack of traffic due to half term too.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #609 on: 18 February, 2010, 11:46:54 am »
Pannier came loose as I was honking over a bridge. Went into the rear wheel and nearly bucked me off. Rear wheel was buckled and I was 12 miles from work. Google local gave me the number for the nearest bike shop, and he agreed to fix the wheel while I waited. When I arrived, he showed me where the spoke was bent, and that I could do with replacing my brake pads. I was meant to be at work, so he trued the rear wheel to get me back on the road (no charge), and I am dropping it off to get the spoke and pads replaced tomorrow.

Thumbs up for Cambridge Cycle Company in Shelford - Cambridge Cycle Company, Bicycles, Cambridge, Cycle, Cycles, Claud, Butler, Pushbike, Bikes, Bike, Mountain Bike, Classic Bikes, hire, Bicycle, Cambridge, Cycle, Claud, Butler, Pushbike, Bike, hire

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #610 on: 18 February, 2010, 12:02:16 pm »
Climbing Portsdown hill this morning on a busy A road. Two cars came flying down the hill towards me and as they passed I felt a pain in my ear. I'm pretty sure a stone was flung up as they passed at speed. Subsequently found, when I got to work, that I had blood all over my ear from a small cut. I can see why people wear protective glasses when cycling, wouldn't want to get hit in the eye like that.

Had a few punctures this week too. 3 so far this week and I'm getting a bit fed up with it. Ok - so I should probably be on tougher Winter tyres but I like the speed.

Roll on Spring.
Owner of a languishing Langster

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #611 on: 18 February, 2010, 01:21:16 pm »
<snip>
Had a few punctures this week too. 3 so far this week and I'm getting a bit fed up with it.
Never mind; that'll be your quota for the decade. :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #612 on: 18 February, 2010, 01:40:30 pm »
<snip>
Had a few punctures this week too. 3 so far this week and I'm getting a bit fed up with it.
I've had more punctures this week than in the last decade.Two.Both on the trike.Each rear wheel.On consecutive days.While the trike was stationary in the garage. ::-)

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #613 on: 18 February, 2010, 04:29:01 pm »
<snip>

If only that were true  ;D
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #614 on: 18 February, 2010, 06:23:45 pm »
A tad dampish this evening in London  ::-)

What's going on with the weather forecasters this week?? None of them have predicted all this pissingdown.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #615 on: 19 February, 2010, 09:25:56 am »
Absolutely nothing happened on my commute today, and nothing ever seems to happen on my commute on any other day either. What am I doing wrong?

No, hang on. Wait a minute … I said "morning" to Dick (who runs the local bike shop) as he walked into work on the other side of the road, and he was carrying a letter. I couldn't see what the letter was, but he was obviously intent on posting it because it was already in his hand.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Fluffy

« Reply #616 on: 19 February, 2010, 09:30:04 am »
Came off my bike this morning on black ice, the only thing damaged was my pride as there were other cyclists around.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #617 on: 19 February, 2010, 09:43:25 am »
After being off the bike on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week I was missing cycling and even dreamed about cycling to work last night.

Got up this morning and left the house to driving sleet - that blew away the cobwebs! A most enjoyable ride in 60% of it without sleet :thumbsup:
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #618 on: 19 February, 2010, 09:49:28 am »
No bike commute today.  Legs feeling tired and a bit sore, perhaps been overdoing things a bit this week.  :(

Instead I 'slept in', took the Tube and gave my legs a rest.  I would much rather be on the bike.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #619 on: 19 February, 2010, 09:51:10 am »
Black ice for 10 miles.

Puncture.

Bonked because I left 30min later than usual and then delayed by puncture.

Only good thing was I got to use my new Road Morph in anger, and it is a fantastic bit of kit.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #620 on: 19 February, 2010, 10:55:36 am »
Where are you chaps? It's all calm and tranquility in Brighton.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #621 on: 19 February, 2010, 11:08:18 am »
Dad’s 28-mile cycle to work

- Manchester Evening News

Came across this yesterday. For those of you familiar with the route you know it's a good workout. It is only once a week though

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #622 on: 19 February, 2010, 11:14:59 am »
Fair ride.

But you wouldn't want to live near Middleton (not the one in Teesdale, obv), would you?
Getting there...

« Reply #623 on: 19 February, 2010, 11:36:22 am »
He claims to do that in 1.5hrs? F*ck me, that's shifting over those hills. No wonder he can only manage once a week.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #624 on: 19 February, 2010, 12:03:21 pm »
Where are you chaps? It's all calm and tranquility in Brighton.
You're forgetting Dick again, and the mysterious letter.  Will we ever find out if he posted it, do you think?