Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2461779 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #1025 on: 30 March, 2010, 09:58:19 am »
Plenty of drivers had their stupid pills for breakfast today.
Especially the Vauxhall Frontera that pulled out of scumville in Devizes.
I decided a Zen like state was more becomming that launching a full on attack.  Too many primary school children about anyway.
Was a headwind for a lot of the journey so hopefully, fingers crossed, I will fly home.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1026 on: 30 March, 2010, 10:17:18 am »
I was taking the best bike to the LBS to get it serviced

It's a lot faster commuting on a Ti bike with tribars :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1027 on: 30 March, 2010, 11:19:54 am »
Air temp 19*c.no wind.sunny.no traffic.......no problem ;)

same again :)

same again ;D

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #1028 on: 30 March, 2010, 12:45:59 pm »
I was starting to enjoy the lighter traffic since the schools started the Easter break.  However it seems to have brought out an increase of cars towing trailers. Some wider than the car, some driven by people who do not pull out, scary.

« Reply #1029 on: 30 March, 2010, 06:49:02 pm »
Rather wet tonight and I saw a very bedraggled chap with a very large cross over one shoulder in Stalybridge.

He looked like he was going far as he had a map in a holder over one arm but did have a wheel on the bottom of the cross to make it a bit easier. If it weren't raining so hard I'd have stopped for a chat.

« Reply #1030 on: 30 March, 2010, 09:58:28 pm »
Hard slog into work.
Awesome tailwind on the way home.  So much so that when the really cold wet stuff started to fall I didn't really mind.
I was dreaming of being a pro rider as I was going that fast  ;D

« Reply #1031 on: 30 March, 2010, 10:07:41 pm »
did have a wheel on the bottom of the cross to make it a bit easier

cheat!

;D

« Reply #1032 on: 30 March, 2010, 10:11:19 pm »
Unbelievably foggy going in. Unbelievably wet coming home.

« Reply #1033 on: 31 March, 2010, 05:51:46 am »
It is blowing a gale out there, and wet.  :o

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #1034 on: 31 March, 2010, 07:18:28 am »
Windy and wet going back last night, and had a stupid idiot in a Kia Sedona try to wipe me out, not once, but twice.  the second time was as we approached a set of lights, that was on red.  she passed me with millimetres to spare then cut in.  I rode round the side of her and gave her a piece of my mind.  She looked a little non-plussed as to what she did wrong, but hopefully by the end of my rant she realised :)

this morning was uneventful apart from the wind, again...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #1035 on: 31 March, 2010, 08:02:32 am »
I am dreading the wind this morning. Staying up until 2am with a cyring child may be affecting me, but it's making me have thoughts of... taking the short route :(

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #1036 on: 31 March, 2010, 08:51:51 am »
Wind and freezing cold torrential rain on the way home last night. Contrary to the morning, the cagers were all set to DETH mode and did their very best to erase my existence for the whole journey >:(

This morning was a bit of a slog, though pretty enjoyable (a couple of wonks, but hey, they weren't to bad).

"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1037 on: 31 March, 2010, 09:32:02 am »
I was very lucky this morning.

Lucky because, though the weather looked horrible outside, the rain held off, and the wind, though a crosswind, was slightly more behind me than in front, so I got a bit of a shove, and arrived in to work very early.

Lucky too that I wasn't hit by the car that turned right across my path.  I thought I'd had it, but my speed and instinct got me past.

Mind you, I'm not as lucky as the bastard driving, who managed to have a clear escape while I was turning round to chase him, so I didn't even have the prospect of getting him within VRN-reading range.
Getting there...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #1038 on: 31 March, 2010, 09:47:54 am »
It's winter again

Tailwind in ( more of a tail gale) and snow falling on the Blackdowns.  The snow wasn't settling though, the ground was too wet

« Reply #1039 on: 31 March, 2010, 10:03:45 am »
Gotta agree with Jacomus, nationwide the cagers were trying to murder all cyclists. T**ts. Had a shouting match over use of indicators, 3 passes within 6 inches...
Today, had to make an effort to face the howling headwind and not relishing the thought of pedalling about doing chores in between campuses... ;D

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #1040 on: 31 March, 2010, 10:09:33 am »
Cold and wet (but not as wet as yesterday), nice tailwind not looking forward to the ride home.

« Reply #1041 on: 31 March, 2010, 10:09:39 am »
I had a nice ride in, despite the threatening clouds. New cycle computer fitted  :thumbsup:
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1042 on: 31 March, 2010, 10:35:27 am »
Lucky not to have been knocked off this morning by a motorist who just wasn't going to stop at a junction - 1 car stopped at junction to turn right, driver of 2nd car approaching junction looking way up the road, filters to left of stopped car and continues into main road to cross straight over. They suddenly see me right in front of them and skid to a stop ::-). Fortunately I saw them coming and had moved well wide. A classic SMIDSY - motorist looking up the road for oncoming traffic and not seeing what's there in the immediate vicinity. One for all cyclists to be aware of I think...

« Reply #1043 on: 31 March, 2010, 10:47:54 am »
Cold and wet (but not as wet as yesterday), nice tailwind not looking forward to the ride home.

Cold and wet (but not as wet as yesterday), nice tailwind horrible headwind not looking forward to the ride home.

;D
Rust never sleeps

ian

« Reply #1044 on: 31 March, 2010, 10:53:02 am »
Two days tunnelling the 11 miles home in a horrid head-wind. Yesterday with the added joy of cold, driving rain. Like being spat on by angry eskimos, while stuck in a wind tunnel set to 'high'. Ick.

I'm staying at home today.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1045 on: 31 March, 2010, 11:06:45 am »
As I passed through Mitcham, I saw two broken bike locks within about fifty metres. :-\
Getting there...

ian

« Reply #1046 on: 31 March, 2010, 11:20:31 am »
As I passed through Mitcham, I saw two broken bike locks within about fifty metres. :-\

There was a lonely rear wheel D-locked to a Sheffield stand in Tavistock Sq yesterday. Probably not the best plan, as the wheel in question had a QR.

(There was a Kryptonite cable that had been snipped too, I presume that had been looped around the frame.)

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1047 on: 31 March, 2010, 01:23:52 pm »
I always find that logic odd. D-lock(s) through frame, cable for ancillary bits/wheels

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1048 on: 31 March, 2010, 01:28:43 pm »
I always find that logic odd. D-lock(s) through frame, cable for ancillary bits/wheels

+1

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1049 on: 31 March, 2010, 01:33:38 pm »
The other way round doesn't make an awful lot of sense either.
Getting there...