Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2484922 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #1100 on: 09 April, 2010, 09:35:47 am »
Yesterday evening I took a long route home (15 miles rather than 8.5).

Then this morning I can only assume I had a tail wind. Fastest ride in in a long time, though having another cyclist on my wheel for the first 2/3rds of the ride helped as I did not sit up as much as usual. I just wish he had taken a turn on the front.

« Reply #1101 on: 09 April, 2010, 11:52:30 am »
Passed a chap in civvies pootling along on a road bike last night. Nothing unusual in that, except that his bike the loosest chain I've ever seen - a good couple of inches droop in the bottom run. I'm not sure how it stayed on (or even if it did!).

And this was on a geared bike, with the rear mech pulled as far back as it could go on its spring (i.e. taking up as much slack as it could). I guess he'd bought a new chain and not chopped it down to length.

Didn't get chance to talk to him, unfortunately, the traffic was too heavy.

« Reply #1102 on: 09 April, 2010, 12:46:46 pm »
On my way in this morning I foolishly stopped at a red light (well, the junction of Waterloo Place and Strand is not an ideal place for RLJing even if I was that way inclined).  Silly me, I should have realised that by doing this I was blocking the way for some poor motorist who then proceeded to drive into my back wheel.  I guess I should have realised that, for some motorists, it counts for nothing that the traffic light is shiny bright red and there is someone directly in front of them in the queue.

I thought it might be nice to take a picture of him to share with others, so got my camera out.  Poor beleagured motorist got out of his car and tried to throw me and my bike to the side of the road so that he could drive on.  He was a little rude in the process.  Lots of jolly passers-by started yelling at him.  He got back in his car.

And the light was still red, and the sun was still shining.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1103 on: 09 April, 2010, 02:52:12 pm »
I hope you can share your jolly holiday snaps with us :thumbsup:

Hope your bike & you are not too badly hurt.
Getting there...

« Reply #1104 on: 09 April, 2010, 03:10:34 pm »
I'm fine and my bike is fine, thank you.  Oddly enough, this was not the first rear-end shunt of the week (fnaarr) as my brother-in-law crashed into me at E&C roundabout on Tuesday morning.

Frustratingly, the camera was not feeling very co-operative and I've just got one nice picture of the motorist returning to his car and one of my foot.

Mind you, the police (to whom I reported this assault) tell me that they're checking for availability of CCTV footage of that junction.  Does anyone know if I'm likely to get in trouble if I post it on youtube?

« Reply #1105 on: 09 April, 2010, 03:58:38 pm »
I'm sure Wendy will be along in a minute to relate any experiences he''s had after posting on YouTube, but I'd go for it.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1106 on: 09 April, 2010, 05:22:10 pm »
What a very mixed day!
I finished the last of my night shifts this morning, rode home on a lovely spring day and grabbed afew hours sleep. Up at half twelve, and off to Crawley on a contrived error to get a run out, the excuse being to get some mapsof the Loughborough/EMA area.
Back past the Beehive, where the council have put up several signs telling cyclists that cycling on the footpath is completely banned. It is also impossible, as all the footpaths are so full of cars that pedestrians cannotpass. No camera with me, but I shall return on another day....
Then onto the "muddy path" Sustrans route out of Gatwick, which is no longer muddy. That is because it is now fine gravel.....and on to a major supermarket, for a bottle of wine and a film for tonight. Up to the cycle rack, and lock mine upnext to a rather spiffy S-Works with all sorts of goodies, single-sided fork, Twin Headlights of Death, etc. I nattered with a rather nice African chap about the bike; it later turned out he knew the owner.
As soon as the nice chap departed, a nice Irish chap came across from his tarmaccing wagon and started trying to pull off the lights. We talked.....
"What are you doing?"
"I'm nicking it"
"No you're not!"
"Oh, I didn't know it was yours"
His three friends then turned up, wanting a "pleasant chat" to pretend that they were not thieving bastards, and eventually they drove off. I took plate details, and contacted security.
The owner was waiting for me when I returned to my bike, with the babylon on his phone. A nice three-way chat ensued, and it turned out that the estimated value of the bike is around five grand. Owner was a very nice guy, lives just around the corner from me, and we had one of those cyclists' natters that makes the world seem warmer. Followed by a pleasantly swift run back home.
He may turn up on an FNRttC, or even here, so make him welcome!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1107 on: 09 April, 2010, 05:35:38 pm »
That's quite some brass neck, trying to nick it while you were right next to it.

It's funny how when you commute the same way every day, even minor changes become exciting events. For example, this morning the cooncil workers who have been strimmering the Bingham undergrowth this week were doing something else. I don't know what, but they were putting cones out on the grass and there were four on the path which I enjoyed cycling through, pretending it was a slalom. And a little further on their lorry was parked taking up the full width of the path so I had to get off and push round it. Small changes, but quite an event. Oh, and the blown down tree is finally gone.

Also, it is officially the end of the singing out loud season - far too many flies now.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1108 on: 09 April, 2010, 06:37:43 pm »
As soon as the nice chap departed, a nice Irish chap came across from his tarmaccing wagon and started trying to pull off the lights

Unbelievable.

« Reply #1109 on: 09 April, 2010, 07:00:58 pm »
5 other bikes on the commute home tonight.
One roadie going my way, who whooshed past with a cheery greeting, another commuter coming the other way, then three people in ordinary clothes, just out for a ride in the sunshine.

5 is a lot of bike for round here!

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1110 on: 10 April, 2010, 08:01:18 pm »
Re: On the commute YESTERDAY.

I like to say a big fat thank you to 'Tourist Tony' for saving my beloved S-Works Enduro yesterday from the clutches of a thief in Tesco Gatwick carpark.

THANK YOU

« Reply #1111 on: 10 April, 2010, 08:27:03 pm »
Well done Tony.

...and welcome to the forum pauldavies50.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #1112 on: 10 April, 2010, 08:38:41 pm »
Absolutely :thumbsup:
Well done Tony and welcome Paul :D.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1113 on: 10 April, 2010, 08:47:36 pm »
Tony's a star.  Welcome Paul. :)
Getting there...

Tourist Tony

« Reply #1114 on: 10 April, 2010, 09:23:16 pm »
Hi Paul!
Again......
Still laughing!

Tourist Tony

« Reply #1115 on: 10 April, 2010, 09:26:27 pm »
PS
his lighting set up puts even Zipperhead's to shame......
Nagged him to go on an FNRttC so we could all bask in the glare

« Reply #1116 on: 10 April, 2010, 10:11:29 pm »
Nice work Tony, and welcome Paul.

While I'm here, I've got a picture of the chap who had a go at me yesterday.  I'm not sure I'm cut out to be much of a photojournalist.

But I was pleased to see that I captured the gorgeous salmon coloured Stratton in the background.

Tourist Tony

« Reply #1117 on: 10 April, 2010, 10:13:31 pm »
Just thinking of Mikey.....
"Whatchoo gonna do, bitch (sic)?"
"Check you tube tonight...."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1118 on: 12 April, 2010, 10:37:41 am »
Headwind this morning, but I still managed 56mins.

Friday night I left work a bit late, and was concerned we wouldn't be able to get the lad to his youth club in time.  I pedalled hard on the 85" top gear, and, despite stopping several times to check for messages, in case I was to meet Butterfly & Superstoker anywhere else, I got home just in time to turn around and go out (no dinner till late :( ).  But pleasingly fast.
Getting there...

Tourist Tony

« Reply #1119 on: 12 April, 2010, 11:14:22 am »
Hopped atrain to get to Horsham (the A264 is a seriously scary road in the dark) and ran firstly into a couple returning from Majorca with their S&S equipped tandem, and then a random lady Bromptonista. The tandemers turned out to be friends of Tim Hall, and the Brommer was into Moultons, and we just nattered bikes and 'bents and trikes and.....
Just nice.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1120 on: 12 April, 2010, 07:57:25 pm »
Nearly got taken out by a Honda which didn't give way at a mini-roundabout.  This happens a lot when you're turning right across oncoming traffic - best to assume they are going to pretend you're not there.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #1121 on: 12 April, 2010, 08:51:24 pm »
Spotted a group of plainclothes coppers waiting to go for a raid this morn. 7 big blokes, with short-short haircuts, hiking jackets, blue jeans and Brasher/Lowe boots clustered round a dark blue transit was what tipped me off. My suspicions were confirmed when a woman emerged from the back of the van carrying her coat, exposing her stab vest with a big 'POLICE' patch on the front as well as one of the other coppers shouting "Put yer jacket on ya daft bastid, we're supposed to be U/C!"

p.s. Bloody headwind >:-(
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #1122 on: 12 April, 2010, 09:55:02 pm »
I'm struggling with the 'freeze in the morning and boil to death on the way home' lark.  I'm sure I'll crack it one day.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #1123 on: 13 April, 2010, 08:15:56 am »
First commute in over 10 days

Sun shining
No strange noises from the bike
No slack chain
Everything works
Massive traffic jam on other side of the road
Birds singing.

Doesn't get much better than this.
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #1124 on: 13 April, 2010, 08:32:49 am »
No traffic jams to feel smug about for me, but lambs, daffodils, primroses etc probably made up for this.  Still a chill in the air - it was down to 40 but there was the promise of warmth to come.  As I got to the top of the hills the sun was cresting the ridges behind me and everything was suffused in an wonderful pinky-orange glow, which left me almost awestruck for a mile or so until I remembered I was wearing my rose-tinted glasses. (Well, orange-tinted).